SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

how did u acquire your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 07:28 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how did u acquire your SC?

I want to tell you the story of how i came to own my favorite car of all time, my pearl white 95 sc300. i had never really been big into cars or knew much about them mechanically. I mean i could change oil, alternators and power-steering pumps on my numerous Accords i had owned but never got into the "scene" for lack of a better word. anyway an ex-gf of mine had recently destroyed my car by teaching herself how to drive a stick while i was working out of town. My dad had recently purchased a lexus from an old lady for $500. he gave it to me to drive for awhile then one day he told me i could buy it off him for what he paid for it, so i did. i drove it for like 6 months, it wasn't really all that powerful or spectacular. then one day my power steering pump went out. i looked online and found a site called Club Lexus. i found a diy and changed my power steering pump. i got to looking around the site over the next few weeks and slowly it dawned on me what i had...i changed the plugs and wires and cleaned my throttle body also did sea-foam treatment....holy crap! The difference was night and day! this car was amazing. soon i was racing down 85 at night doing 120 and loving it..over the next year i did almost every diy i could possibly do from fixing the steering wheel tilt to replacing the cam seals that were leaking. i have to say i have learned mor about the 2jz engine and turbos(my next step) in the last 2 years than all my life. i have really fallen in love with this car, its relationship to the supra just makes it all the more sweet. thats how i came to own my SC. i love this car..
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (06-26-17)
Old 04-10-16, 08:07 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a very similar experience, as for acquiring mine, I owned an LS 400 that I met my now fiancé in, and even though that car was essentially a beater it's still held status and I loved it. After letting that car go to a friend that was in need, I went through a series of suv's, Lowrider trucks, conversion vans you name it in the normal domestic market of vehicles. After speaking to a friend of mine that was really big into the 240SX seen, I told him I was looking at my childhood dream car which was in SC 400. He said #Nah, you need to get that 2jz engine! Like a true typical drift guy would say. So I searched and waited having faith in his knowledge. I was already a member on this form from the LS so I lurked around the SC pages and did a bunch of research. I had settled on finding a five speed so I sat and waited, checking the list every day for one to pop up in my price range. About a year later I was in Sacramento California doing a show with one of the bands I travel with. Doing my usual routine of looking on craigslist for the holiest of holy of five speed cars, ha ha, I stumbled upon a 1993 five-speed just outside of where I live in Minnesota. He was a Road America driver that wanted to sacrifice the SC drivetrain and put it in a Toyota starlet. Hey not a bad idea actually sounds pretty sweet, fortunately for me he had decided to go with a different engine and I have the opportunity to buy The drivetrain that he had. Fortunately for me, The engine was in an SC 300, so I took the redeye home drove an hour outside of the city with a couple of my friends talked about how terrible the car was, how much work it needed, why it wouldn't start and all the terrible noises that it made. I even told the guy "look at how nasty this thing is there's flies having sex in the car." But really I didn't care I was going home with this thing. After unfreezing the brakes by rocking the car back-and-forth we got it started I handed the dude $700 he asked when are you going to come grab the engine he'd pull it before scrapping the car, I said I'm driving home right now! And I did. I drove and hour home, smile on the face even though I could tell the rear main was leaking worse than the Titanic, Essentially no brakes, no clutch and 20 flies buzzing around my head. After getting the car home I fixed everything in a week. Well almost everything since you can never fully fix these cars, I'm aware of that. To me it didn't matter I was going to get this thing perfect and over the course of that following winter I made it into a proper SC 300 that gets respect in my club and turns heads everywhere I go. For that I'm joyous I couldn't be happier and I will never ever ever saw this car. Well maybe someday ha ha.
Old 04-10-16, 01:18 PM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My good friend had this SC for 3 years. It became a project for him, 2JZ swap, single turbo, HKS cams, the works.

He got tired of it. And I swooped in and picked it up
Old 04-10-16, 01:35 PM
Tempock
Rookie

I just bought it.
Old 04-11-16, 01:31 PM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ Same here.
Old 04-11-16, 02:25 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

well i have a special bond with mine..
Old 04-11-16, 02:53 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

craigslist
Old 04-11-16, 03:50 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
craigslist
Craigslist as well.....Bought it from some college kid. He bought a new V6 Honda Accord
Old 04-11-16, 05:50 PM
duster
Driver

Craigslist here too!
Old 04-11-16, 06:00 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

First was craigslist, second was craigslist, third was craigslist, fourth = craigslist.. fifth...craigslist, craigslist...craigslist craigslist
Old 04-11-16, 06:17 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought it off ebay in 2004, Sold it to Kris in 2014 then bought it back from him last month.
Old 04-11-16, 06:34 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I needed to replace a totaled car in 2010. Shopped for a couple of months looking for anything RWD (or AWD), stick-shifted, 2+2 2-door, at least 300hp NA or 250+ hp factory turbocharged. I didn't find much at a decent price.

My SC300 was one of the only 5-speed manual cars listed locally for sale at the time. I knew what it was and its relation to the MKIV Supra. When I went to see it I was at the point that I needed a car but I really fell in love with the SC. It needed some TLC at the time but it was a unique experience right off the bat.
Old 04-12-16, 08:17 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was convinced by the devil after half a bottle of makers mark.
Old 04-12-16, 09:24 AM
GOODBYENA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was looking for a project car that had a big following and rwd somthing like a 240 sc300 / supra maybe e30 wanted to start cheap so I could replace / rebuild whatever was needed with the parts I like and know.

found a 1993 sc300 caged shell for $500 on CL and picked it up, now the 1JZ r145 parts list begins. hopefully over the next year get it all together.
Old 04-12-16, 09:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

I found mine on autotrader. It was at a local dealership. I went to go look at it, and I put a deposit down the same day. They agreed to change the timing belt, fluids, and brakes. I came back a couple of days later with a check and signed the papers. They even neatly packed all the old parts into the OEM boxes to prove to me they used all OEM parts to fix my car.

Quick Reply: how did u acquire your SC?