SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Guidance on pulling engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 11:07 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guidance on pulling engine

well I I have a small dilemma need some resident experts to give some input please.

I got my upstream O2 sensors in the mail, downstream should come in this week. I am replacing all four due to high mileage.

BTW the passenger upstream was a PITA to pull out.

My dilemma is that the car does smoke a little LOL 250,000 miles on initial start, so I am sure that the valve guide seals are leaking, can this be replaced without removing the heads?

I don't really want to put new sensors without taking care of this.

Other option is to remove the engine and go over everything. The car is just a project to me so is not my DD.

If better to remove the engine does the AC needs to be drained I rather not mess with the AC unless it has to be disconnected, I have pull other engines that the ac does not need to be drain
Old 02-29-16, 11:26 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

If a compression check and possibly a leak-down test reveals a tired bottom end, time for an engine rebuild; pull the entire engine. If a compression check reveals good engine compression, then the only thing in need of overhaul is the cylinder head. I would recommend pulling it and having a well-reputed machine shop rebuild it for you. While it is off you will have easy access to everything that needs to be inspected and possibly replaced. You could perform the compressed air/rope/plastic tubing trick which allows you keep the cylinder head on the engine in order to simply replace the cylinder head valve seals. However, with 250,000 miles on the engine, the head cylinder gasket is likely marginal and the valves/guides could be out of specification. That's why, in the long-term, pulling the cylinder head and rebuilding it makes the most sense, to me.

Have fun

Old 02-29-16, 11:53 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

I have not got a chance to do a comp test on the engine, however given the amount of crud I cleaned out of the TB the chance of a head rebuild cross my mind. I am pretty certain that some valve seals are bad.

thanks for the input will do the tests.
Old 02-29-16, 05:00 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these engines can run to a million miles, most likely it just needs a simple tune
Old 02-29-16, 07:35 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't spend too much time and effort on it unless you plan on keeping the car for another 5+ years. The way people buy and sell these cars on a monthly basis, I'd just drive the damn thing until it dies. In other words, add oil when it's low and start it up once in a while. Save your money and time on something more important in life; ie; vacations, family, gaming consoles, brothels in Amsterdam, etc.
Old 02-29-16, 07:39 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what you say is real, unless hes in modding and going turbo I can see the reason to do the work but if its just fixing stock stuff I would just leave it. whats the point really, he could just get a 2jzgte auto swap and drive it for another 20 years lol
Old 02-29-16, 08:07 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

well the car is a keeper always wanted a coupe with V8 power and reliable as my old 1980 corolla I could not break that thing if I tried.

Times has changed I am retired ,bought the car for 800 bucks needed a lot of work, but hey I knew that. I like the lines on the car and plan on keeping this one for my entertainment.

I got tired of working on cars just to sell them and tired of four doors, A n LS an IS an F-150 4doors and most of the time is just me driving to and from occasionally the wife

I really enjoy time at home all day in the garage I guess I can just keep it under observation and pull the heads and or engine at a later time.
Maybe I will just beat the crap out of it to have an excuse to pull the engine.

I don't think I will be going turbo but I do have a M112 that will consider throwing there at a later time.
TABAKA your sig is so true one side wants to get her done and registered and drive it, the other wants to rip it all out and make her perfect.