SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stepped lip Work VSKFs

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 09:00 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by acacg
If the wheel spins freely torqued down you should be safe.
I'm worried because when my old wheels were stolen i put the stock 16" wheels on my car for the time being, and the wheels spun freely when torqued down but when i made turns, the spokes rubbed against the calipers.

So idk if there is a rule for how close is too close? But with the 7mm spacer, its pretty darn close.
Old 01-16-16, 09:42 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
I'm worried because when my old wheels were stolen i put the stock 16" wheels on my car for the time being, and the wheels spun freely when torqued down but when i made turns, the spokes rubbed against the calipers.

So idk if there is a rule for how close is too close? But with the 7mm spacer, its pretty darn close.
If they are not running now you are fine. I've got minimal clearance between my spokes and my calipers. Looks like I'm closer than you are and I've had no running at all.

Old 01-16-16, 09:48 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, awesome. That's good to know. Thank you again. If i were to measure i have about 1-1.5mm of clearance.
Also my pads are at about 50% life, so idk if that will make a difference either....
Old 01-16-16, 09:51 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pads life has nothing to do with it. The calipers don't fluctuate and are bolted down to stay in place.

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 01-16-16 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 11:43 AM
acacg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel bearing could've been the cause for the rubbing while turning. just a thought. Just go with a 10mm if you feel its too close. Quality spacer with hub centrics is a plus.
Old 01-16-16, 12:22 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

On stock 16's it is more likely that the wheel weights were rubbing. The fitment is so close with 16's that the top of the weight can hit the caliper edge.

Ok, awesome. That's good to know. Thank you again. If i were to measure i have about 1-1.5mm of clearance.
Also my pads are at about 50% life, so idk if that will make a difference either....
Like mentioned before the brake pad life has nothing to do with caliper clearance since the caliper doesn't move.

If the rim can spin freely, then you should have no issues while driving unless the rim is bent or horribly unbalanced.
Old 01-16-16, 01:33 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
Your pads life has nothing to do with it. The calipers don't fluctuate and are bolted down to stay in place.
Ok, good to know. I figured they don't but I'm neurotic, so better be safe then sorry lol

Wheel bearing could've been the cause for the rubbing while turning. just a thought. Just go with a 10mm if you feel its too close. Quality spacer with hub centrics is a plus.
So there is no 7mm spacer that I could find that has the neck for the wheel to bolt onto to stay in place. I'm getting a spacer set custom made by Otis Inc LA that has the 60.1 hub bore to bolt up to the SC hub, and with a 73.1 neck for the wheel to bolt onto so that I don't need hub rings.

Now I don't know if I should get a 8mm spacer made instead of 7mm.

And what do you mean bearing?

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
On stock 16's it is more likely that the wheel weights were rubbing. The fitment is so close with 16's that the top of the weight can hit the caliper edge.

Like mentioned before the brake pad life has nothing to do with caliper clearance since the caliper doesn't move.

If the rim can spin freely, then you should have no issues while driving unless the rim is bent or horribly unbalanced.
On the 16's i used my 10mm spacer and i had visual marks on the wheel spokes, so i know they were rubbing on turns, because they spun just fine when the wheel was bolted on. It wasnt the weights.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 01-17-16, 07:00 AM
acacg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, good to know. I figured they don't but I'm neurotic, so better be safe then sorry lol

Now I don't know if I should get a 8mm spacer made instead of 7mm.

And what do you mean bearing?

Thank you all for your replies.
If this company makes it to whatever size I'm sure they could make it in 8mm.

Do you know how to check for wheel bearing play? If there's a wheel bearing play. Only the wheel and rotor will move. The caliper(LS) and spindle are fixed.

Last edited by acacg; 01-17-16 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 04:01 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

If this company makes it to whatever size I'm sure they could make it in 8mm.

Do you know how to check for wheel bearing play? If there's a wheel bearing play. Only the wheel and rotor will move. The caliper(LS) and spindle are fixed.
I just contacted Otis Inc LA and they will make me a custom 8mm spacer with 60.1 hub bore and a 73.1 neck so the wheel can be bolted to that. Not cheap, since its $100 for only 2 spacers, but worth it.

And usually the bearings will make noise when they are going bad, correct?
Old 01-18-16, 04:10 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Get some tires on the rear wheels.....lets see the whole new setup
Old 01-18-16, 05:15 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah that fitment looks really good and the wheel is great, I guess it all comes down to how much you like the wheel and if youre willing to put spacers to make it work, if youre not crazy about the wheel I would just sell it and get something that will fit the way you want it, but if you really like the wheel make it work!
Old 01-18-16, 05:55 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Get some tires on the rear wheels.....lets see the whole new setup
I will be mounting the 255/40's from the Z wheels later this week. It's been incredibly cold in Chicago, so i've had no motivation to go to work on the car. Plus, I'm waiting for the new spacers to come in. But I will update the thread once the wheels are on all 4 corners.

Originally Posted by SCFactory
Yeah that fitment looks really good and the wheel is great, I guess it all comes down to how much you like the wheel and if youre willing to put spacers to make it work, if youre not crazy about the wheel I would just sell it and get something that will fit the way you want it, but if you really like the wheel make it work!
Yes, I love the wheels, so I'm attempting to make them work. If they rub when I drive then I'll sell them and put the Z wheels back on, but as of now, all i have to do is mount tires on the rear and put them on the car.
Old 01-26-16, 08:37 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you get the rears mounted....Also how is the custom spacer working for you?

Waiting for those full body shots....ahah
Old 01-26-16, 09:46 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

teaser body shot with with the two front wheels on one side.

I'm mounting the rear tires off the Z wheels on the rear set today actually. Should be on the car tonight.
Old 01-26-16, 09:48 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Did you get the rears mounted....Also how is the custom spacer working for you?

Waiting for those full body shots....ahah

the custom spacers have not come in yet. shop said 3 weeks.

Quick Reply: Stepped lip Work VSKFs