Should I go back to the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 07:03 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Should I go back to the SC?

Hi Guys, Haven't been here for a while.

I am looking for a pristine 1998-200 SC400. So, if you have one you want to sell, please PM me.

That said, I am curious to know if I am off my rocker. I have owned 6 SC's in the past. The last one was a 2000 SC300 that was just perfect, but was T-boned by some dope who was texting.

Anyway, I have a 2011 Lexus ES350 now which is a wonderful car but I keep thinking I need to be driving an SC.

What do you think? Should I move on or g back?

Thanks

BL
Old 12-13-15, 08:43 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

brucelee1, having owned six SC's in the past is not an insignificant number. I think sometimes we encounter a car model or two in life that just ends up being a favorite. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, there shouldn't be. These are classic cars at this point and there isn't any reason to hold back on getting back into a classic vehicle you really love no matter what it is. Life's too short to have regrets like that.

Now that said, when you bring up your 2011 ES350 I see that as a completely different kind of car with different traits. No one can really answer this question but you. It's too subjective from person to person.

The SC300/400 (and Soarer) are analog Japanese luxury coupes and in some configurations luxury muscle cars. (They are not the same thing as the classic 1950's-1970's conception of what a "muscle car" is but in a very modern, refined and over-engineered context that's what these coupes are).

Lexus doesn't make a car like this any longer: a mostly analog RWD 2+2 luxury muscle coupe with an available manual transmission, R&D in the engine design and parts family for factory turbocharging (SC300) packed into an overall design that is built to last but which is, by today's standards, very streamlined and simple especially in the interior.

...And which also shares a chassis and major components with a storied sports car built on the same assembly line.

I'll also add that it was designed in a time when the exterior and interior were allowed to be mostly unique compared to the other models in an automaker's lineup. The shape and statement of the SC/Soarer's look was allowed to be its own thing. Today, almost every manufacturer insists that no one is capable of understanding that a Lexus is a Lexus or a Mercedes is a Mercedes or a Ford is a Ford unless every single model in the lineup has a vaguely similar design language.

I think it depends on what you want. I see SC's as classic cars now and it's not the first classic I've owned and daily driven. I think they are fantastic if you like the experience and the design. The horsepower potential doesn't hurt either. On top of all that, at the end of the day they are also very practical and easily docile cars that can do normal things without attracting negative attention. As long as they've been looked over and serviced, they're reliable too. I've said it before that I've taken mine cross country twice without worrying about surprises.

If you're weighing an SC against newer options... well... there are many. And supposing you aren't even interested in a manual transmission car, Lexus has finally built a new semi-affordable coupe in the RC200t and RC350 (which I might add have available factory Torsen LSD options on F-Sport models for both engine sizes).

And there are other RWD coupe options out there too.

But since you've had experience with these cars before, you already understand what makes SC's different from many other cars. I feel that if you like them enough to come back to them you could keep one and still have something else to drive if that's in the cards. Anything older will need some attention and pre-emptive maintenance now and then but they really don't make them like this any longer and I mean that in the best of ways. It's a timeless and classic design that's always fun to drive.

It really depends on what you feel you'd be happy with

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-13-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 09:03 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

^Both KhanBB6 and me can attest to what an addicting vehicle the SC really is. I'm on my 4th SC, and my dad drives one as a DD, and I only was introduced to them a few years ago! They are indubitably well built in (well, almost) every way. I honestly don't see myself in 20 years without an SC in my driveway.

The SC is becoming a classic.

Then there is the SC family that you may miss. I've never met a soul on this forum in person and yet I feel like I know them better than some of my relatives! The community makes the SC that much more better.

Just like Khan said, it really depends on what you'd be the most happy with.
Old 12-14-15, 06:02 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
brucelee1, having owned six SC's in the past is not an insignificant number. I think sometimes we encounter a car model or two in life that just ends up being a favorite. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, there shouldn't be. These are classic cars at this point and there isn't any reason to hold back on getting back into a classic vehicle you really love no matter what it is. Life's too short to have regrets like that.

Now that said, when you bring up your 2011 ES350 I see that as a completely different kind of car with different traits. No one can really answer this question but you. It's too subjective from person to person.

The SC300/400 (and Soarer) are analog Japanese luxury coupes and in some configurations luxury muscle cars. (They are not the same thing as the classic 1950's-1970's conception of what a "muscle car" is but in a very modern, refined and over-engineered context that's what these coupes are).

Lexus doesn't make a car like this any longer: a mostly analog RWD 2+2 luxury muscle coupe with an available manual transmission, R&D in the engine design and parts family for factory turbocharging (SC300) packed into an overall design that is built to last but which is, by today's standards, very streamlined and simple especially in the interior.

...And which also shares a chassis and major components with a storied sports car built on the same assembly line.

I'll also add that it was designed in a time when the exterior and interior were allowed to be mostly unique compared to the other models in an automaker's lineup. The shape and statement of the SC/Soarer's look was allowed to be its own thing. Today, almost every manufacturer insists that no one is capable of understanding that a Lexus is a Lexus or a Mercedes is a Mercedes or a Ford is a Ford unless every single model in the lineup has a vaguely similar design language.

I think it depends on what you want. I see SC's as classic cars now and it's not the first classic I've owned and daily driven. I think they are fantastic if you like the experience and the design. The horsepower potential doesn't hurt either. On top of all that, at the end of the day they are also very practical and easily docile cars that can do normal things without attracting negative attention. As long as they've been looked over and serviced, they're reliable too. I've said it before that I've taken mine cross country twice without worrying about surprises.

If you're weighing an SC against newer options... well... there are many. And supposing you aren't even interested in a manual transmission car, Lexus has finally built a new semi-affordable coupe in the RC200t and RC350 (which I might add have available factory Torsen LSD options on F-Sport models for both engine sizes).

And there are other RWD coupe options out there too.

But since you've had experience with these cars before, you already understand what makes SC's different from many other cars. I feel that if you like them enough to come back to them you could keep one and still have something else to drive if that's in the cards. Anything older will need some attention and pre-emptive maintenance now and then but they really don't make them like this any longer and I mean that in the best of ways. It's a timeless and classic design that's always fun to drive.

It really depends on what you feel you'd be happy with
Thanks for a very thoughtful response. You know in my day, I have owned a number of performance coupes but never found a car quite like the SC. The combo of comfort, style, and go power is so nicely done.
Old 12-14-15, 06:03 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by SC400slide
^Both KhanBB6 and me can attest to what an addicting vehicle the SC really is. I'm on my 4th SC, and my dad drives one as a DD, and I only was introduced to them a few years ago! They are indubitably well built in (well, almost) every way. I honestly don't see myself in 20 years without an SC in my driveway.

The SC is becoming a classic.

Then there is the SC family that you may miss. I've never met a soul on this forum in person and yet I feel like I know them better than some of my relatives! The community makes the SC that much more better.

Just like Khan said, it really depends on what you'd be the most happy with.
Thanks,

It is nice to know that I am not the only person that keeps coming back to the SC.

I do like the fact that you can update the electronics pretty easily. I remember doing that in one of my SCs.
Old 12-14-15, 07:50 AM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1

I am looking for a pristine 1998-200 SC400. So, if you have one you want to sell, please PM me.

That said, I am curious to know if I am off my rocker. I have owned 6 SC's in the past. The last one was a 2000 SC300 that was just perfect, but was T-boned by some dope who was texting.

Anyway, I have a 2011 Lexus ES350 now which is a wonderful car but I keep thinking I need to be driving an SC.

Thanks

BL
I have owned many, many cars in the last 10 years (more than 50), which includes 11 SC's. I've had a few high powered cars (IS-F, Camaro, Z06), very nimble and good handling cars (S2000, Z3 M, Supercharged Miata), and even some luxury cars (Jag XJ-R, LS430, etc). Guess what I own now?

I was able to find a very low miles 97 SC300 Manual, and I can truly say there is just something very special about these cars that keeps bringing me back to them. It has a timeless design (both interior and exterior), looks great with a few minor mods, and it has enough power for day to day driving or huge potential to be super fast. It is also a very good cruiser for long trips. And even though it might not be a classic yet, it's getting to the point where more people are starting to appreciate them and notice them.

I would say hurry up find a nice example of an SC before they are gone!!! Happy shopping!

Last edited by UniqSC; 12-14-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 03:34 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Thanks, UniqSC
Old 12-15-15, 10:29 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default thinking about parting with my 98 SC400

Thinking I want to replace with a SC300 5 speed..was going to modify this car but way to clean..180k..emailed you full details...interior looks as close to showroom as you will find

Last edited by ahero4all; 12-15-15 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-15, 07:21 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow^^, Super clean.

But for the OP, this is an SC section, what do you think were all going to say

Hope you find a real keeper!
Old 12-16-15, 09:29 AM
VOrteneau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

BL
I might have something for you, check your PMs
Old 12-17-15, 05:15 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by ahero4all
Thinking I want to replace with a SC300 5 speed..was going to modify this car but way to clean..180k..emailed you full details...interior looks as close to showroom as you will find

That is a great looking car; you should be most proud of that. I am not sold on the color scheme, however. I was more in the white or gold exterior mode.

Thanks, anyway.

Rich
Old 12-17-15, 05:16 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Wow^^, Super clean.

But for the OP, this is an SC section, what do you think were all going to say

Hope you find a real keeper!

Thanks, I asked the same question on the ES forum and surprisingly, guys there are fine about the SC as well!
Old 12-18-15, 02:59 PM
ahero4all
Driver

That is a great looking car; you should be most proud of that. I am not sold on the color scheme, however. I was more in the white or gold exterior mode.

Thanks, anyway.

Rich
Hey Rich, I hear you..I was also more color specific when I started searching..Not my 1st choice but I also wanted a near showroom condition SC with full books n records and no accidents,,

My intention was to modify it, but after bringing all the maintenance up to date along with it's pristine condition I decided against any mods..

not many 98-2000..I think preservation over modification for this one..I am leaning towards a 5 speed to play with.

Cheers to coming back to the SC,
Old 12-20-15, 12:43 PM
zeroTTA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in IL trying to find an SC myself and there's really nothing around the midwest at the moment. Seems you need to drive across the country to find one. Granted, this is a bad time of year to sell.
Old 12-20-15, 11:15 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Originally Posted by zeroTTA
I'm in IL trying to find an SC myself and there's really nothing around the midwest at the moment. Seems you need to drive across the country to find one. Granted, this is a bad time of year to sell.
West Coast cars are always the cleanest. No snow no rust..I think my SC is a great deal at $7k..well worth the cost of shipping

Last edited by ahero4all; 12-20-15 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Should I go back to the SC?