SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Start up issue, PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 02:16 PM
zlexsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Start up issue, PLEASE HELP!!!

Okay so this is one weird situation I am having with this Lexus. (1992 Lexus SC300 5spd)

So first things first, I started having a bogg/hesitation, and a low idle a few weeks ago. I replaced my valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wires, distributor button, and ignition coil. The car ran fine for a couple weeks after that; then I had the same issue come up recently. I did some research and found it could be a couple off issues. The maf, coolant temp sensor, fuel ecu, or a bad iacv. So I started with replacing my coolant temp sensor. After installing it the check engine light came on (which wasn't on prior to replacing the coolant temp sensor) , and I am having start up issues.

I will go start up the car after it has been sitting over night, and now it takes longer to start the car then usual. Once the car starts, it idles very low, and if I give it any throttle, the car almost bogs itself out. Once it warms up to operating temperature, the car runs fine and doesn't seem to have any other bogg/hesitation problems.

I am curious to find out if anyone else out there has had any similar issues, and may know what direction to point me in to fix this problem. I am a DIY kind of guy and really want to avoid taking this thing to a shop. hahahaha SO if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-25-15, 10:49 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zlexsc300
Okay so this is one weird situation I am having with this Lexus. (1992 Lexus SC300 5spd)

So first things first, I started having a bogg/hesitation, and a low idle a few weeks ago. I replaced my valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wires, distributor button, and ignition coil. The car ran fine for a couple weeks after that; then I had the same issue come up recently. I did some research and found it could be a couple off issues. The maf, coolant temp sensor, fuel ecu, or a bad iacv. So I started with replacing my coolant temp sensor. After installing it the check engine light came on (which wasn't on prior to replacing the coolant temp sensor) , and I am having start up issues.

I will go start up the car after it has been sitting over night, and now it takes longer to start the car then usual. Once the car starts, it idles very low, and if I give it any throttle, the car almost bogs itself out. Once it warms up to operating temperature, the car runs fine and doesn't seem to have any other bogg/hesitation problems.

I am curious to find out if anyone else out there has had any similar issues, and may know what direction to point me in to fix this problem. I am a DIY kind of guy and really want to avoid taking this thing to a shop. hahahaha SO if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Dude,

What error codes did you see, if any?

Old 09-26-15, 09:26 AM
zlexsc300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

What error codes did you see, if any?

I didn't read the codes, nor do I have an obd1 scanner. Ill see if the sensor I bought is defective first.
Old 09-26-15, 01:09 PM
freakness
Pole Position

I didn't read the codes, nor do I have an obd1 scanner. Ill see if the sensor I bought is defective first.

Dude,

The CHECK ENGINE light in the instrument cluster is your OBDI/Toyota scanner. There's a procedure for shorting the terminals either in the engine bay diagnostic port or from a diagnostic port located at the lower left corner of the dash near the hood release lever. The number of flashes or 'blinks' indicates a certain code. Typical Toyota thing across all models from the 1980s until 1995.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ode-retrieval/

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/lex...eval-procedure

Last edited by freakness; 09-30-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 06:01 PM
zlexsc300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

The CHECK ENGINE light in the instrument cluster is your OBDI/Toyota scanner. There's a procedure for shorting the terminals either in the engine bay diagnostic port or from a diagnostic port located at the lower left corner of the dash near the hood release lever. The number of flashes or 'blinks' indicates a certain code. Typical Toyota thing across all models from the 1980s until 1996.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ode-retrieval/

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/lex...eval-procedure

Okay, sorry for the late response. I was able to read the engine light, it came up with a code for a coolant sensor fault. So I took out the coolant sensor I just put in, exchanged it for a different one, and now the check engine light is off and the car runs so much better!!! It was a defective sensor, problem solved!!!
Old 09-30-15, 06:18 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Okay, sorry for the late response. I was able to read the engine light, it came up with a code for a coolant sensor fault. So I took out the coolant sensor I just put in, exchanged it for a different one, and now the check engine light is off and the car runs so much better!!! It was a defective sensor, problem solved!!!

Dude,

Nice.