SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replacing my SC as a daily, What do you Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 12:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
hey good info, you GX470 experts can you tell me
is it worth getting a 2005 instead of 2004, I understand they have a bit more HP and better Nav.
Or should I get a base radio deck.

Do they all have the 3rd row? I heard the max capacity is 8, but I cannot confirm when I googled this! is there a 3rd seatbelt in the 3rd row so it can carry 8 if needed?

Do I need to fret about 110k vs 150k vs more? I know you guys say they are bullet proof and maybe extra 30k miles is nothing. But you got to replace wheel bearings, seal. Since we are shopping for family hauler which means I don't have too much time to deal with stuff like that.

Is there anything I should be aware of when shopping? I would say half of them are at used car dealer lot.

Also what is your gearing like cruising on the freeway 70mph? What RPM? Quiet?
I prefer the 2003-2004 because they don't have vvti (less complicated), and the emissions special air pump that always seems to fail (guess where it is right next to the starter in the most terrible location ever).
They don't have KDSS (if you want sliders you have to get special ones for KDSS trucks)
The 2003 has no TPMS sensors, and I LOVE that. I dont need a light to blink at me to know my tires are low. 2004 has it though.
you can only bolt a TRD supercharger to the non vvti motors 03-04. they recently came out with a kit for vvti aftermarket but its pricey.

if you plan on never modifying it, then vvti adds a little power and is a good thing, but you also get that emissions compenent that can fail someday.
the 03 and 04 does not have any of that complicated carp on it at all (I like simple).

only negatives about the 2003-04 is that some of them had the first version of the factory tow package which is just the little guy bolted to the rear bumper, it only supports 5000lbs towing and some people wont notice the difference and think its the big one that supports 6500 lbs on later models. my 2003 has the small guy but my 04 has the big full size tow package.

95% of them came with the third row seating, but there are GX's out there with no third row and instead have the tonneau cover like the 4runners have.

the front is a independent suspension so you don't have to rebuild axles all the time.
The rotors come off easier than the other landcruisers making brake jobs easier for a DIY mechanic.
the rear is a solid axle but since those are not turning wheels, 100k or 130 wont make a difference probably how many curbs you whack over time will make a difference.
Mine has 250k on it and there is not a squeak to be found or anything loose, but obviously it was maintained.

these cars do warp brake rotors all the time, same with the lx470. its simple phsycs giant SUV and 4 pot brakes on rotors that fit under factory 17" wheels = warping your rotors, its just a matter of time.

gearing is phenominal, it always seems like its hardly working. dont know numbers but its better than all the other ones with the 4 speed auto. most other 2UZ cars did not get the 5 speed auto until later in 2006 (like the lx470 had a 4 speed auto till then). the GX/v8 4runner were the only one 2 vehicles to get it in 2003 from the start of production.

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I like how the OP hasn't returned and this is now a GX review and comments section.
haha that might be partially my fault my bad.

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Also would like to know, why I can get a ls430 For around $15k budget under 100k miles no problem
But $15k is not buying too much GX.. the LS was $56k new and GX is $45k new
I guess the flagship sedan doesn't hold value as well? How reliable is the LS?

I like to ask the SC owners here because most of us have similar baseline of expectations
Cause everyone who has had a good experience with a GX wont get rid of it till its really high in miles or they want good money for it. I don't blame them but if you wait for good deals they can be found, still its a very pricey car. I would have saved money and bought a 4th gen v8 4runner but couldn't pass up the deal I got on my GX cause it had a bad transfer case at the time.

Originally Posted by Kira X
I just noticed that. I had now idea so many people liked the GX470 so much.
I really like the LX470 also or 100 series landcruiser. they are awesome vehicles as well with a couple differences. I would totally get an LX also, but it is noticeably wider which is good if you need the max amount of space in the back seats (width wise for like 3 kiddie chairs), but bad if your spouse looks at it and says that is too big to drive around. also note that the 5 speed auto didn't come until vvti in later years (another reason why I love the GX is cause its the only non vvti with a 5 speed auto that was made... in 03-04 only).

the front suspension on the LX is completely different than that found on the GX/4th gen 4runner/fjcruiser. its more akin to the older 4runners with torsion bars and whatnot, its arguably the most bulletproof version which is why its only on the landcruiser anymore, the other cars wen to the standard setup like the GX that is used on all the new sequias, tundras etc..
really a tundra is quite the same as the GX suspension wise, except for having rear coil springs vs the tundra's truck leaf springs, but they all bolt to the same rear axle.
Old 08-19-15, 11:51 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Please add me to the SC GX owner club.
At least for now, until someone buys my SC

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...0-5-speed.html

The SC is a great daily driver, mine has been very reliable most of big stuff like ECU and fuel pump, starter replaced it is very reliable. Everytime I drive the SC I enjoy it, the long wheelbase is smooth. But enough of the SC review you guys all own one, lol. I drive the SC whenever I am by myself.

So I picked up a GX to haul the family and my wife can't drive manual transmission. (Was going for LS but steered towards GX due to this thread)
These cars are everything you guys say it is, really smooth, well engineered, not a rattle besides the leather creak, after all these miles. I got all kinds of rattles with a newer Lexus before so the GX seems to have held up alot better.

This one was maintained by the dealer but it was pretty apparent it was a family ride, there are some door dings and scratches and they were careless where they open the trunk and door, but things has held up fairly well for this kind of abuse. Dash has some cracks and will be replaced by Lexus. I figure it's not pristine but we are doing our own dose of family wear-and-tear, and color is right for us. It's a non-nav which was difficult to find as I have wanted a double din in the future.

I agree with you Ali I picked 2004 (but late 2004 that can add the burly OEM hitch). It has no VVTI which I prefer just like for SC/IS for no VVTi as well, just easier to work on and can take regular gas. Wife approves regular gas. The torque is the same, for our use it won't get rev'ed for to take advantage of the VVTI HP range.

The few things wrong with mine and seems like every GX needs with age: need CV boot, hood struts (don't hold up at all), replace broken and missing keys. Unfortunately I was already committed to buy before I found the sunroof makes a horrible popping noise a few times at it's open and close limits. I almost never open the sunroof but from my reading this may need a very pricey repair for this problem maybe to the tune $1.5-$2k. Maybe I can get new parts and have a body shop install it for a few hundred?

Other than the scratch and dings the mechanical is A, timing belt changed 110k, spark plug and transmission flush just recently done, may need air shocks but I considered that.

Also, the used car dealer changed the oil on it. I don't know what filter (no time to unbolt the covers) I'm sure it's a cheap non toyota one though, and what kind of oil put in there except it says 5W30 on the reminder sticker. Now this is a common V8 truck engine all over the world, you don't think a cheapy lube/oil change places oil and filter would hurt it at all, right?

Also I hope the transmission is commonly available and plentiful when I need one after 200k miles?
Attached Thumbnails Replacing my SC as a daily, What do you Drive?-gx.jpg  

Last edited by SC3coupe; 08-19-15 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 01:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Awesome pickup and welcome to the growing SC and GX club lol.

Yeah I love my 2003 that doesn't have the NAV so I can go double din, thats my preference as well. The stock navigation I get bored of after like 10 minutes of owning it but having the stock backup camera is nice though.

thats weird on the sunroof, never heard that one before. maybe there is some dirt in the tracks or just needs some regreasing. I wouldn't pay that much there is likely a way to service it. I think the only times I used mine is when I tested it and on a roadtrip. I would have a place see how hard it is to get out and take a look at it first before spending 2k on a new sunroof. probably something small but not familiar with this repair.

I haven't driven one with vvti but with the 5 speed auto and the v8 it moves plenty for me. I chirped my 33" tires going around a turn, lets just say.. very aggressively. its like an over sized sports SUV in my mind, you expect the power but are surprised by the handling.

Cv boots are just one of those toyota truck things. keep an eye on em if they rip replace just the boot and you will be good. wait forever and you will be changing the axle although reconditioned axles are pretty reasonable these days and some shops prefer to just do that vs slapping on a new boot. if you don't have a lift and drive in regular conditions then this shouldn't be going bad that often. the Tundra guys like to use Porsch boots as a replacement but I would just go with stock and some good clamps.

any filter is generally going to be ok but I prefer using the puralotor pure one filters, I order em on amazon and get mobil 5w30 from costco when they have the yearly deals I stock up, they come in the boxes of 6 individual quart bottles so you get more than the 5+jugs. make sure they didn't go cheapo and use the shorter oil filters for the v6, when I got my wifes one they had that little guy on there and it made me laugh, so I changed it for the big v8 one and new oil. some small shops just dont care at all, it pays to check yourself sometimes although as long as it has an oil filter and oil, it should be ok many people regular oil and cheapo filters and run these things to 300k still.

transmission is getting more common as more of the models have the 5 speed, but the thing is as long as you change the trans fluid every 100-150k or so you shouldn't ever have transmission issues.
This is because the 5 speed auto is actually beefier than the older models, the 4 speed auto tundras were breaking trans left and right especially when they still had the supercharger package so this was toyotas answer for the next gen, another gear and beefier. even the later year 4 speed autos were upgraded inside.
You could even get to 200k on the original fluid, these cars laugh at high miles, I have heard of 4th gen 4runners going to 350-400+ and are still going, there are a few threads on it with some very proud owners.
Mine are both over 200k miles already, and on original trans and whatnot.

the dealer will say oh this is a lifetime fluid trans, but dont listen to them, they would love to sell you a new trans when it eventually fails (if it even fails), but the fluid can be changed (I just did my 04 a couple weeks back) and thats basically giving the trans an overhaul on these cars, simple right.

about the only thing that can stop these trucks from getting way up there in miles and lasting forever is undercarraige rust. always get underneath the GX and look around before buying one. some from the east coast take alot of undercarraige abuse and rust out alarming fast, also the flood cars will always be more rusty and it accelerates in later years. to me that is more important than mileage, cause the frame when not rusted is really strong its made by DANA and they make the landcruiser frames too. everything else bolted to it is replaceable, the frame well you don't want to have to replace that.

hope you enjoy it the space over the LS in the rear is worth it alone, and I always feel better knowing my family is in a small tank vs a sedan with all the big cars on the road these days. and kids love the rear seat entertainment.
Old 11-04-18, 07:28 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by CYKBC:
97-SC300 (11-18-18), KahnBB6 (11-06-18), LEXXIUM (11-04-18)
Old 11-04-18, 08:48 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Love your and my white Fj80!
thats my bad weather commute ride, my daily is my 98sc400, my2000 is a garage queen I’ll post a pic later
Old 11-05-18, 09:29 AM
wsaharem
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the other direction I have an Audi that I was putting too many miles on, so I purchased the SC300 as my daily driver It only has 130k miles, so I figure it's easily good for another 150k
Old 11-06-18, 06:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ LOVE the FJ80 series. You cannot kill that generation. Fuel economy aside it's one of the best FJ Land Cruisers. Yours is excellent, CYKBC

Three years after my original post in this thread I am still using my SC300 as my daily driver. The fuel economy isn't and never will be great but it's not horrible unless I drive it at 10/10ths all the time. I've gone through enough of it at this point that I'm not concerned about the high mileage (251k+). Of all the old cars to keep using as DDs I'd still always bet on an old 90's tank-like Lexus if there has been regular maintenance and upkeep.

Although in the last year when I've needed an alternative car while my SC was undergoing a lot of work I drove a '99 LS400 and later a '10 Fusion 4cyl. Both excellent DD cars. Not needed any longer though.

Originally Posted by wsaharem
I went the other direction I have an Audi that I was putting too many miles on, so I purchased the SC300 as my daily driver It only has 130k miles, so I figure it's easily good for another 150k
^^ Your SC300 will be absolutely fine for WELL beyond a mere 150k. Try 250k at a minimum but often well into 300k. A year ago a stock MKIV Supra NA (with the same 2JZ-GE engine in the SC300) went into a Toyota dealer with over 500k miles and still going. It just had plenty of regular maintenance over that mileage.

The LS400's and SC400's (with the same V8 engine and transmission as in the LS) are the current high mileage record holders but SC300's can go quite high in their own right.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-06-18 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 01:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I’ve got another daily driver I’m trying to get running. It’s a 1999 ES300 that needs a new engine and a set of coilovers. I sold my 2001 ES300 to my stepdad and it was an awesome daily driver while I had it.

Right now I switch between my LS430 and 328i. The SC doesn’t get driven anymore because the 305’s I put in the rear rub too much.
Old 11-09-18, 02:27 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Kira X
Right now I switch between my LS430 and 328i. The SC doesn’t get driven anymore because the 305’s I put in the rear rub too much.
Kira, that's a lot of wide tire back there! You've rolled the fenders to fit those? I'm only on 275's in the rear myself.

Any of the 98+ LS400's and LS430's are excellent DD full size cruisers. I always like those two generations of the LS. So is that generation of the 3-Series-- still just right in size.
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (11-10-18)
Old 11-09-18, 12:53 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Kira, that's a lot of wide tire back there! You've rolled the fenders to fit those? I'm only on 275's in the rear myself.

Any of the 98+ LS400's and LS430's are excellent DD full size cruisers. I always like those two generations of the LS. So is that generation of the 3-Series-- still just right in size.
Would really like to see some pics of Kira's LS430 and all the cool mods.....

Old 11-09-18, 05:49 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Duck05
^^ Same here!
Old 11-10-18, 07:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
I’ll have to see if I can get some decent pics uploaded. I haven’t done much in the past few years to it but I hope to get a lip kit, new exhaust tips, and install my new Alpine stereo.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

I have the fenders shaved. I ran 275’s before and they were stretched on my 11 inch wheels. I got a great deal on some 305’s and they fit alright. It looks so mean from the rear but my car is extremely slow. I just need to raise the car up a little to stop the rubbing.

The 98+ LS400 and LS430’s are awesome daily cars. I work for my local Lexus dealership and we have quite a few employees with LS430’s and LS400’s. My sister also daily drives a slammed 02 LS and she loves it. She wants to get an 04-06 LS or an LS400 as a second car.

The 3 Series is a fun car to drive. I love driving my E92 but it’s a huge piece of junk. I borrow my mom’s F30 328i and it’s pretty fun too. I’ve been trying to convince her to mod it. You can make good power off of a full exhaust, down pipe, intake, and a bigger intercooler.

Last edited by Kira X; 11-18-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-13-18, 06:18 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

So, the cold weather has arrived here in Midwest leaving my truck stranded on the road in front of my driveway , but as promised this is my (wet weather) daily Fj80. I love this truck as I do my scs, to day I got a new battery for it, and it cranked right up!
It May not be practical for your daily commute to work, but it works for me I work within less than 5 miles of my home.
I do love my 98sc400, because it never let me down, it gets good gas mileage about 18-21mpg on average and I actually love driving it, I love the power and I love the way it handles and I love how comfy it is and light and nimble it is without that passenger side seat, I loved it even more with out both of thepower seats, but it’s scared me one day so bad, power to weight, I had to put one seat back in yeah I was flying almost lol.
Old 11-17-18, 09:55 PM
Wintercat
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 95 SC400 is a weekend car just due to the age. My daily driver is now a low miles 2004 LS430, AKA the nuclear hovercraft. It actually gets about 27 on the highway once up to cruising speed, but low mileage in traffic. Interior looks showroom new. So relaxing to drive, but serious power as well.

I have a Tundra also, so I literally have three generations of the same V8.

If I really want to save on gas, I've also got an Accord sleeper that runs perfectly and looks new inside, but looks like hell outside because of the cheap Honda clearcoat all delaminating. The LS430 is presentable to take co-workers and even CEOs to lunch.

Last edited by Wintercat; 11-17-18 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 05:58 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

CT200H for my daily. Love the gas mileage, but am always itching to trade it in for an 2G IS350 AWD or even 3G GS AWD for more power and room.

While my CT is in good condition with relatively low mileage, I don't believe it has good re-sale or trade-in value.

Quick Reply: Replacing my SC as a daily, What do you Drive?