SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to the lexus world, but not new to the toyota world

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 12:21 PM
AnitaBjay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the lexus world, but not new to the toyota world

Currently I am looking for another car to get into. Ive owned countless types of yotas. Im looking at both a 96 sc400 1 owner and 00 ls400, both black on black and both less than 130k on them with complete service records. I have been researching them back and fourth. Is there major differences between the two? Besides one is a 4 dr and one is a 2 dr. Both have a 1uz. Just trying to find some insight on both, typical problems that happen, what needs replaced usually and what would be the better car to purchase. Price does not matter for either. Personal experiences from anyone who has owned both would be great to hear the comparison between the 2. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-05-15, 02:47 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SC is non vvti and the LS is VVTI, pretty major engine difference in that regard. Also your SC is 4 spd and LS is 5 spd. The SC will be a good bit more sporty as it shares the supra chassis, so a lot of aftermarket parts fit it. 97 was a changeover year for a lot of parts/features.

never owned an LS but they are both quite reliable as any toyota/lexus from that era. front control arms wearing out seems to be a common thing with the SC, that is the only thing i can gripe about. But mine i have ripped apart and rebuilt most everything to my own liking so i am not a good source of what wears out. Also the gauge cluster in the SC is going to need to be rebuilt and the LS wont (different needle backlighting).
Old 08-05-15, 04:17 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Pre 98 Lexus vehicles came without VVTi and your LS400 2001 is a VVTi 1UZ, there is a large difference between the two. The VVTi comes with an extra 30-40hp, but it also has a larger torque range and is more responsive. Other benefits do include things like better fuel economy and a more refined engine. 130k is excellent for either of the cars, both engines are extremely reliable and have proven that.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ has many tutorials that can be applied to both the LS and the SC, make sure to check it out to get an insight of what are some things that do get wrong, if they get wrong that is. I know that in a high mileage car, the power steering pumps do get messed up but I think that is on something 200k+ or even more. Most of the "repairs" are just maintenance items.

I would be leaning more towards the LS400 since it's VVTi but that's just me, if the SC matches your style then go ahead with that. I waited almost 2 years looking for a VVTi SC400 and it was worth it I tell ya.

As estomax mentioned, the gauge clusters do get bad in the SC overtime however it's less common in the 98+ SCs.