Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New to Lexus: which would you recommend; LS400, SC400, ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 10:52 AM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus: which would you recommend; LS400, SC400, ES300?

I'm not trying to start a flame war. The reason I'm posting on the SC forum is because you have the most members (not looking at GS right now), and I'll probably get the most responses here.

Never even sat in a Lexus before. My current car is a 2001 Miata, who's lease is up in the middle of March. I'll be buying my next car.

After tons of research I've decided I want a Lexus. But I haven't decided on which model to get.

It will probably be 1992-1994. Reliablilty, style and affordability are important.

Which would you recommend? I'm 34 years old, single, and have a decent job.

LS400 - ultra reliable, timeless styling (still looks new), quiet, elegant. Driven by mostly old people??? Rarely breaks down, but repairs are expensive.

SC400 - stylish, sporty, same drivetrain as LS (shorter first gear in tranny). Same repair costs as LS. As reliable as LS?

ES300 - I'm guessing it's more affordable when repairs come along. As reliable as the LS and SC??? Good Lexus for first time buyer? Not quite the same presitge as LS or SC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-05, 10:59 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you need:
LS: GREAT Ride, but as you said, expensive repairs. Still fast but not as fast as the SC

SC: Can't carry much at all, but is fast, sporty and fun to drive. Still has a good ride, but not as floaty as the LS because its a sports car of course.

ES: Not as boaty or sporty, more of a moderate feel to it. Not as fast, but will be cheaper and repairs will be cheaper.

If you're handy then you might be able to fix things that break yourself, depends on how much work you're willing to put into your car.
Old 02-27-05, 11:18 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 91 LS400 with air suspension and 94 SC400.
they are both lexus but different animals.
LS do not feel so much sporty as SC. Car response, handling and accelerations and fun factor is better in SC (for me of course). But LS is amazing car too. LS have definetly better quality interior.
Have both cars in garage and most time drive SC.
So if you do not need much space in back seats or trunk: rather SC.
I am 35 and single too.

Jerry
Old 02-27-05, 12:02 PM
MarkZ
Driver School Candidate

LS - if you will need rear seats. Very Smooth.
SC - Sporty, fun, but rear seats are almost useless.
ES - just a nice camry.
Old 02-27-05, 12:31 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, and undecided between the LS and SC, I'd look at the GS 400 and GS 430, its the best of both worlds.

Any reason why you ruled them out?
Old 02-27-05, 06:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
If I were you, and undecided between the LS and SC, I'd look at the GS 400 and GS 430, its the best of both worlds.

Any reason why you ruled them out?
Hey man,

I have to agree with you. I am a big fan of the GS. But I am guessing that he isn't looking at spending the GS430 pricetag!!

I would say while you are young and single - rock the SC. When you have a family, then rock the LS.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 02-27-05, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by thermal
After tons of research I've decided I want a Lexus. But I haven't decided on which model to get.

It will probably be 1992-1994. Reliablilty, style and affordability are important.

Thanks!
Welcome to CL. We're glad to have you as a new member.
My opinion is that if you are used to the ride and feeling of a Miata you would probably like the IS300 or older SC300 more than any other Lexus products, even though neither car, of course, can be directly compared to a Miata. But both the IS300 (with the 17" high-performance tires)and the older SC300 have a feel that is closer to a Miata than other Lexus products. They are smaller, firmer-riding, lighter, quicker-steering and handling, rear-drive, and with a silky-smooth, virtually bulletproof engine. I actually like the 3.0 in-line six more than the 4.3L V8, though the V8 has more power for virtually the same mileage....but the 6 is lighter on the front end. In the IS300 line, a 2001 will be the lowest-priced as a used car but lack some features that newer ones had...especially the manual transmission.
As far as other Lexus products go, I would avoid an ES300 or an RX300 that did not have a documented history of oil changes because of that engine's oil gel and sludge problems, and newer ES300 / 330 transmission shifting complaints.
Since you are not interested in the truck-based Lexus SUV's, we won't go into them.
The LS400 is an awesome luxury car....one of the world's finest at the time..... but is probably not the car for you if you are used to a Miata because compared to a Miata's ride and handling the LS will feel and drive like a battleship. If you look at one in the 1992-1994 range that you suggest, check the brakes for rotor warping at higher speeds and vibrations in the brake pedal.....one of the first-generation LS400's very few weaknesses was the car's heavy weight putting a load and heat buildup on the rotors.
Old 02-27-05, 11:57 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully you can bump your year to the 98 vehicles. IMHO that is where the fun begins. I personally have a 93 SC400, and with your year choices I would choose the SC provided you can live with the lack of space from the 2+2. I guess coming from a Miata this car will have tons of space Now, if we bump the year up to 98, I would definately lean more toward a GS400, or maybe even a GS300 (Personally I'd stick with the GS400), but the LS400 now starts too look very attractive from this year on. I specifically like the 98+ because of the upgraded transmission and engine (VVT-i).

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-01-05 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-01-05, 02:28 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely ls400....I use to drive a 1993 LS400 and damn...very comfortable and a blast to drive
Old 03-01-05, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

among the 3 i will haev to choose the ls400, it's such a great car
Old 03-01-05, 12:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by thermal
I'm not trying to start a flame war. The reason I'm posting on the SC forum is because you have the most members (not looking at GS right now), and I'll probably get the most responses here.

Never even sat in a Lexus before. My current car is a 2001 Miata, who's lease is up in the middle of March. I'll be buying my next car.

LS400 - ultra reliable, timeless styling (still looks new), quiet, elegant. Driven by mostly old people??? Rarely breaks down, but repairs are expensive.

SC400 - stylish, sporty, same drivetrain as LS (shorter first gear in tranny). Same repair costs as LS. As reliable as LS?

ES300 - I'm guessing it's more affordable when repairs come along. As reliable as the LS and SC??? Good Lexus for first time buyer? Not quite the same presitge as LS or SC.

Thanks!
Welcome to CLublexus. The guys above gave great advice. What exactly are you looking for (Space, speed, luxury, etc)

Old 03-01-05, 12:22 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

welcome to CL... haha hope you have deep pockets...

i like all the cars but each car is built for a different purpose.. like everyone else has already stated above... but if you want some size, speed, sport, and luxury.. you might want to consider a used GS400/430...
Old 03-01-05, 08:30 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, welcome to ClubLexus!

If you're looking in the 1992-94 range... starting with 1993, the Lexus GS300 was available. In my opinion (i'm sure many others agree), the original GS300 has one of the most gorgeous, classic designs. From what i understand, its not as floaty as the LS, but not as sporty as the SC. It was created as a sports-sedan though, so I'm sure handling is very competent. The GS300 is a very good compromise inbetween the GS and LS. Also, if you are used to driving a Miata, i'm guessing you appreciate RWD... therefore I would say stick with one of the models besides the ES, because that is fwd... i have a 92 ES at home and its a good comfortable car, but nothing special in the handling or fun to drive area at all.

Here's a couple pics of member Seize's 1st gen GS300 (I hope you don't mind me postin your car, its always been one of my fav cars on the site).

Old 03-05-05, 08:28 PM
L-Finesser
Rookie

Default First Lexus

A lot depends on the money you want to spend. Second Generation GS is performancey and luxurious and priced pretty well. LS430's will set you back but it's "the Lexus of Lexus." Pre-owned or brand new.
Old 03-05-05, 08:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Drive them all and see what impression they leave on you. They are all fantasic cars that cover a range of driving styles and some are readily modded to taste.

Given maintenance aspect, I'd suggest something in the '98+ range. Those well cared for older samples are around though it make take some searching to find.

Quick Reply: New to Lexus: which would you recommend; LS400, SC400, ES300?