Operation: <500

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 11:10 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finished the interior; tomorrow will be door-panels and trunk-lid
Man, 4 rolls of this stuff was PLENTY!
I'm gonna have leftovers; so I think I might do the entire trunk instead ... 'Cus why not?

BTW, whoever said that Peel & Seal "smells" ... ???
No.
I haven't smelled a thing.
I've used Dynamat before, and this is really no-different.
At $16 per roll, I think it's worth it. You're paying for the name "Dynamat" only.
It's been 90° here these past couple days, so if it really stunk, then I'd have noticed it.
Get some; it's worth it.
Granted, I haven't heard the sound-difference yet; but like I said, I've applied Dynamat before, so from what I can tell, I expect the same results.
We'll see!

Last edited by SEIDO; 09-02-15 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 07:08 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

So, I've driven the car, and it is in fact more silent. I had my gf drive it also, and she said the same thing without me telling her. It definitely makes a difference in the same way that Dynamat does. I still have to do the trunk, but rest assured that you guys should be okay with Peel & Seal

Tried, Tested, True.

We'll see how the system sounds ... So far so good!

On second thought, after I do this install, etc. I'm gonna come back to this post in 6 months, to report how it's held-up over time, with the heat, cold, etc.

Last edited by SEIDO; 09-07-15 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 09:50 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Okay, so it's been a while, I know; however I just moved from Philly to N.Y. so I've been preoccupied ...

Anyway, I just finished the sound-deadening in the trunk, and inside the quarter-panels.
I also did within the door panels but forgot to take a picture (sorry).

Tomorrow, I'll be installing the speakers though, and pretty much finished-up. However it won't be ideal. I'm basically installing the system ONLY; so I at least have one. However, I really wanted it to be "nice", and redo the whole trunk in tan leather to match the interior; as well as a new false-wall where I could have the amps recessed into. Due to my budget however, I'm just gonna mount the amps in the trunk beneath the rear-deck in typical fashion ...

However, I'll keep to this thread when the time comes and post the update on the actual trunk setup and amp replacement. Nonetheless, the system's going in, and I bought it all for $500 basically. So it's still pretty awesome haha

I'll post pics and video as soon as it's done, but for now, here's what I've finished today (see my engine update too, in the "What Did You Do Today" thread) ... 4 rolls of Peel & Seal was really enough for everything. For the price I paid, it's amazing how much space I covered.

However, can somebody tell me what this black box is in the left rear quarter-panel? Can I remove it without incurring a problem?

Old 09-24-15, 02:54 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

that's for venting the trunk or something, there's another one on the other side as well, i'm not sure of their use actually but they vent to the bottom of the car.
Old 09-24-15, 06:40 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldManTan
that's for venting the trunk or something, there's another one on the other side as well, i'm not sure of their use actually but they vent to the bottom of the car.
Mmmm??? It might be different then - pre '97. The other side on mine, contained the factory amp.

What happens if I remove it to make space?
I wanna use that cubby-hole as a cargo area for a small tool-box.
Old 09-24-15, 06:48 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

System Update:

So it's not gonna look this way in the end (so plain); the rear-deck will be leather-wrapped to match the interior, and the trunk will have a false-wall (also leather-wrapped), exposing the amps.
So everything's gonna look nice and clean ...
This is where I'm at for right now however.

In the coming weeks, I'm building custom brackets to fit the 6.5" speakers in the front doors; y'know, the project that's often talked-about around here, haha, but few have ever realized
I simply decided I'm gonna pull-out the entire factory housings (that big black plastic), in order to make room; then zip-tie all the original wiring out of the way, and make a whole new enclosure.

Finally, next month I'll be installing this MASSIVE 10" Type-R sub in the rear-deck, by building a completely custom rear-deck; lol. It'll be mounted over top of these speakers (raised); therefore similar to the door speakers, they'll be mounted normally, as they are here, but the grill-covers will be mounted above them, on top of the new deck. In other words, there's gonna be space between the speaker and the covers; you won't actually see the speakers; just like inside the doors. The subwoofer will be the only one visible. Overall, it'll look nice & clean; nearly OEM even.