SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Crank Shaft Pulley bolt removal tool bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 05:22 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Shaft Pulley bolt removal tool bolts

Does any one know the size of the Crank Shaft Pulley bolt removal tool bolts?? Confusing I know but the screws that go in the removal tool I need to buy some longer ones Im creating my own tool..
Attached Thumbnails Crank Shaft Pulley bolt removal tool bolts-_57.jpg  
Old 07-22-15, 05:53 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone has the pulley removal tool for $20 plus tax, (rent it, return it, and it's free via there loaner tool program) then find the two bolts that fit your pulley and take them to a hardware store. I would get "Grade 8" bolts if I were you, last thing you want is a cheap bolt snapping in there. I am actually having to do the same thing in order to torque the crankshaft bolt to 181lbs. From what I saw on youtube a 2x4 will do the job just fine as long as your bolt holes are drilled nice and tight with little to no play.
Old 07-22-15, 07:12 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

What tool exactly? I went there recently and I couldn't find one to take off the Pulley bolt. I have rented their harmonic balancer already but before I do that I need to get the bolt off. Thanks for the response btw
Old 07-22-15, 07:58 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I used breaker bar and took the handle from my floor jack and slipped it off the handle and used that.....I wedged a pry bar on fly wheel to keep it from spinning...

The best bet is an impact wrench.....i.e air tools.....but I was able to do mine with the above mentioned...
Old 07-22-15, 09:48 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jwynn
What tool exactly? I went there recently and I couldn't find one to take off the Pulley bolt. I have rented their harmonic balancer already but before I do that I need to get the bolt off. Thanks for the response btw
I think he was telling you to go rent the harmonic balancer pulley (that you said you have rented already) because it includes a variety of bolts, so you can figure out the size.

I think the thread is M8x1.25.
Old 07-23-15, 04:02 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to get the bolt off I bumped the starter, basically put your breaker bar/socket on the crankshaft bolt and wedge it somewhere(I used the battery area, then hooked the battery back up quick and tried to start the car. One crank(about 2 seconds) broke the bolt free.
Old 07-23-15, 09:35 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
In order to get the bolt off I bumped the starter, basically put your breaker bar/socket on the crankshaft bolt and wedge it somewhere(I used the battery area, then hooked the battery back up quick and tried to start the car. One crank(about 2 seconds) broke the bolt free.
Yep, I did this with my breaker bar wedged against the garage floor. Literally just burp the starter and it will break traction on the bolt.
Old 07-23-15, 09:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yep, I did this with my breaker bar wedged against the garage floor. Literally just burp the starter and it will break traction on the bolt.
I tried this twice and both times the car lifted off the ground. I went out and bought the tool the next day. hahaha
Old 07-24-15, 06:30 AM
jwynn
Pole Position

Im changing the head gasket so I'm too far along in the process to do the starter bump method. Also are you guys saying I could use the harmonic balancer puller to get the crankshaft bolt off? Because its just the bolt that I have to get off right now.