Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cant remove the crank bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 03:15 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cant remove the crank bolt

Hey fellas,

I'm stuck on this supid crank bolt!!I tried everything including my own special ghetto rig ,but the bolt wont budge.The FSM has this special tool to remove it,but where the heck can i get it.

I know a lot of you removed it before so tell me how? Some tricks are apreshiated.

Its a 2 jzge without the EGR crap now

Here's some pics for fun.

Oh i'm changing the head gasket.
Attached Thumbnails Cant remove the crank bolt-img_0546.jpg  
Old 09-28-08, 04:09 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

crank bolt? I dont see a crank in the picture...or are you talking about the bolt for the harmonic balancer?
Old 09-28-08, 04:24 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I barelyyyy got it off. It's torqued to about 240 ft-lb, good luck
Old 09-28-08, 04:24 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
crank bolt? I dont see a crank in the picture...or are you talking about the bolt for the harmonic balancer?
Crank pulley bolt.
Old 09-28-08, 07:03 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ahh I see...first pics kinda threw me off a little.

what else have you tried other than the breaker bar? I would assume you have already tried an impact with no luck..

one suggestion if all else fails, find a place that does diesel engine repair, or general semi truck (18 wheeler to be clear) service...the impacts that they use will fut a little extra punch than most people would have in their garage..just ask them if they would charge you for 2 min to have one of the service guys bust it loose for you..
Old 09-29-08, 05:49 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

At work, we've done an IS300 a similar way.
jammed the flex plate with something, then used a long breaker bar and 2-3 people to pull.

we did it from under the car, but maybe you could accomplish the same thing from up top, with the hood off if necessary.

another thing that has helped, is some good penetrating oil and leaving it for 30 minutes to soak in. then you MIGHT have a chance at getting it off with an impact gun. you should be able to get a gun in their easily with the rad out....with the rad it, i'm quite sure it won't fit.
Old 09-29-08, 06:39 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Dude, save yourself some heartache and put your starter to use. just wedge a tough socket/ wrench combo against the ground or where the battery is, then give it a very little blip from the ignition, of course disconnect the EFI fuse b4 doing that. You'll be surprised of how fast the bolt loosens. It took me a whole 2 seconds to loosen that bolt.... GL
Old 09-29-08, 06:57 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha good thing someones thinking out of the box!

Originally Posted by madmax98
Dude, save yourself some heartache and put your starter to use. just wedge a tough socket/ wrench combo against the ground or where the battery is, then give it a very little blip from the ignition, of course disconnect the EFI fuse b4 doing that. You'll be surprised of how fast the bolt loosens. It took me a whole 2 seconds to loosen that bolt.... GL
Old 09-29-08, 08:39 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bump trick (with the starter) is a popular one. I personally just put my car in 5th gear with the e-brake on, put a wrench on it, loop another huge wrench on it, and use all 240 lbs. to break it loose.
Old 09-29-08, 10:33 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, my dad totally showed off today. He took a wrench and a hammer and with 6 big pounds broke it lose.
Old 09-29-08, 11:43 PM
status....
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i did my timing belt i just used the impact gun and it came right off.
Old 09-30-08, 06:01 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
Been there done that many times...
Old 09-30-08, 04:25 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

OK the bolt is out,my bro just used a chain wrench and a breaker bar.Now we are waiting till sunday to continue .

We are going to check the cylinder walls,hopefully they are in a good condition.This engine has 237,000 miles.

Is it worth changing the valves ?

What else should i change while the head is out?

I wish the whole engive was out so i could check everything Like oil pump and change the oil pan gasket. This is kinda doing half of a job and who knows whats going on on the bottom end?

So whats easier ? Changing the head gasket or changing a motor?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 09-30-08, 06:58 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Changing the headgasket. All of the stuff under the car (exhaust, driveshaft, wiring harness, shifter, etc.) that you have to **** with before pulling the drivetrain out can be quite a pain compared to only having to put the manifolds/cams/valve covers back on afterwards.

Get some ARP head studs while you're at it.
Old 10-01-08, 10:15 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gunnar
Changing the headgasket. All of the stuff under the car (exhaust, driveshaft, wiring harness, shifter, etc.) that you have to **** with before pulling the drivetrain out can be quite a pain compared to only having to put the manifolds/cams/valve covers back on afterwards.

Get some ARP head studs while you're at it.
not really it pretty easy to do usually takes me 45 min to drop engine and trans out of the car

Quick Reply: Cant remove the crank bolt