SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Battery life

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 10:31 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery life

I'm just curious what you guys think about extending the life of your battery if you're not using a SC regularly. I bought a new battery last Fall, but I never hooked it up to my car as it sat in my garage for a LONG time. The battery was never connected, and of course the car cranked right over. However, I only drive my car once a week, or once every two weeks. Do you think I should disconnect my battery each week? Keep in mind that there is a very minimal natural discharge from the battery including security and the clock. However, if it sits every six days (or up to 13 bi-weekly), should I be worried? It may sit for longer if it rains outside (my car leaks water inside like the sunroof is open in the amazon). I'm not trying to buy a battery on a quarterly basis.

Chime in

And for those thinking that I should drive my car daily, your crazy. My commute is 1.5 hours to 2 hours in each direction, and I'd spend my salary on gasoline in this gas *****. I have a 2008 Honda Fit that gets 35mpgs.
Old 05-12-15, 10:37 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's 1 or 2 weeks, I think it's fine if you drive it for a while when you get to. I don't know what kind of weather you have over there but if you get really cold weather, then I would drive it more often.

Personally, I have a battery tender on it.

Also, a 3-4 hour commute each day?!
Old 05-12-15, 12:51 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Agreed with the above comments. Starting it every 2-3 weeks should be sufficient, and once a month won't likely be a problem if the battery is in good health.

The issue with battery tenders is they don't do you a ton of good unless you park in a garage.

I try to disconnect the SC's battery as infrequently as possible because of the annoyance of resetting the stereo settings, the clock, the odometer, and the steering wheel position.
Old 05-12-15, 01:49 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be fine.
I used to do the same thing, but it was because my commute was so short, 10 minutes on my bicycle that it seemed kind of silly taking my car out of the garage when i could just catch the bus or hop on my bike. Battery has been fine sitting as long as 3 weeks, but I also have a really large battery up front. The biggest one that would fit.
Old 05-12-15, 04:16 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only drive mine once a week but I keep a battery tender on it when its packed in the garage
Old 05-13-15, 12:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

some cars drain more than others, mine will drain a new battery in a week to 2 weeks, less if its cold weather.
you might be fine in the summer, but in the winter when its cold you may just want to go ahead and disconnect it.

I find letting it sit till it drains down and then trying to start on a low battery adds alot of wear to even a new battery. If you get a battery low enough often it will start dropping cells and then you will need a new battery sooner rather than later. also consider that once a week are you going to drive it enough to fully recharge it before it sits again for another week?

I got a relay put on the positive cable so I disconnect mine by pushing a button which is convenient if the car will sit longer than a few days. If I do that I can let it sit for months on end and it will crank right up like the battery hasn't drained one bit as you said. When I don't do that or forget to I usually have to charge up the battery with a charger or jump start it, and this was with a new battery. a tender also works well, and will prevent you from loosing your stereo stations which is the most annoying part of disconnecting the battery for me.

maybe just see how it starts up after one week, you wont hurt the battery letting it get low a couple timings just be sure to get it charged back up right away.
Old 05-13-15, 01:23 PM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My car (99sc300) sits a lot as well too and you all mentioned getting a battery tender. I have seen two types at AutoZone/Oreilly's/Walmart; will the smaller version work or we will need the larger battery tender?

Thanks

EDIT: Ok...thanks guys for the response.

Last edited by Gee44; 05-14-15 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Replying to answer
Old 05-13-15, 02:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you have it on all the time then a small one should do the trick. just don't expect it to charge a dead battery unless you can wait like 24+ hours.
Old 05-13-15, 09:44 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A 1.5 amp battery tender should be sufficient to maintain your charge while the car sits for periods @ a time.
Old 05-14-15, 11:50 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a .75A one and it does the job. Not temperature compensated (no idea what that means) and charges slower but I've never had any issues.