SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Flexlite 210 Dual electric fan installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 01:17 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual elextric fan install pointers please?

If anyone has experience running the flexalite 210's on an sc300, please help me out here. I have all the parts I need, but have a ?. I want to know if I need an ignition switched relay for this. My concern is that by hooking up everything, the control unit will constantly try to read the temp from the sensor, even with the car off, thus draining the battery. If I need one of these, is there a certain one that works well? Or is there an empty spot in the relay box where I could buy a relay and slap it in there?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Tim
Old 03-05-03, 11:27 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine installed in a shop but I do want to remind you that it is recommended to replace the alternator with a higher output one. The fan pulls alot of energy and that might make your alternator die early. I have mine to always be on if the car is on.
Old 03-06-03, 12:30 AM
808SC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the high output alternator critical? I wouldn't think the fans would draw that mcuh power, although I'm probably wrong.
Old 03-06-03, 06:27 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

The fans pull up to 30 amps, at least that's what the inline fuse is rated for. I'm not going to have mine run all the time. Hopefully my yellow top will help matters a bit.
Old 03-06-03, 05:51 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default No problem

I simply wired in a manual switch to turn the fan on/off. Sure it is a bit of a pain, but not that much. The power was supplied from the input side of the ignition fuse (before the fuse). The fan is an easy install and I noticed an immediate improvement.

Upgrading to a high current PHR alternator is suggested, but it was pricey, I think I paid around $700.
Old 03-06-03, 06:08 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tggoodrich
The fans pull up to 30 amps, at least that's what the inline fuse is rated for. I'm not going to have mine run all the time. Hopefully my yellow top will help matters a bit.
Yeah I got the yellow top at the same time.
Old 03-06-03, 10:11 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default Re: No problem

Originally posted by 933005spd
I simply wired in a manual switch to turn the fan on/off. Sure it is a bit of a pain, but not that much. The power was supplied from the input side of the ignition fuse (before the fuse). The fan is an easy install and I noticed an immediate improvement.

Upgrading to a high current PHR alternator is suggested, but it was pricey, I think I paid around $700.
I think I'm going to try my luck with the stock alternator. Hopefully it will hold out for me. Has anybody had their alternator rewound as opposed to buying a new one?

I still need my original ? answered

Tim
Old 03-07-03, 10:00 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Tim, you will need a relay. Those fans are same fans 933005spd was referring to. The exact same fans in fact. The way you are doing it will be the best way. Trust me. If you use the relay and the temperature unit wired correctly to run the fans intermittent as needed, the alternator should handle it just fine. You might see minimal dimming - unless your bumping with high watt sound system too. Unfortunately, I have no idea what type of relay you will need or where to put it. Check out the manuals man! You might be able to run off a relay in there already. Flexalite offers a relay for that I thought - but I don't have the information readily available. Send them a note.
Old 03-07-03, 10:26 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Andrew,
You posted that thinking of the setup that I have here. I did call Flexalite and spoke to their customer servie guy. He was nice enough to send me all the extras that didn't come with it. He sent me out all the wiring, connections, temp probe, and even the stock control unit for free.
Heres a link:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/lowprof.htm
It's the 210 fan

According to the wiring instructions which I couldn't find a link to but have a har copy of, there are 2 terminals for 12v. One is for power to the fans themselves, the other one is supposed to connect to an ignition switched 12v power source.I'm almost positive this acts like an internal relay, but I just want to make sure it doesn't put a drain on the battery. So, if anyone has used the stock control unit and hooked up to this terminal (+ in schematic), let me know how this works.

Tim

I'll get this thing installed one of these days
Old 03-07-03, 11:30 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Damn, they sent that stuff for free?!! That's pretty cool. It should be safe. Hook it up and use a voltmeter on the circuit in question with car off. If there is voltage - then another step will need to be taken. That's how I would do it. Good luck.

I don't think anyone has done it this way on this site. The sf guys have though. You try them yet?
Old 03-08-03, 03:54 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hey all,

I just went to the shop to consider installing these fans on my car. Granted I live in Cali where traffic and hot weather is the norm. They had about 20 of these setups in the shop because they do a ton of MKIV Supras. He said that the Lexus WILL overheat with the Flex-a-lite 210s. He also said, the thermostat that is included sucks, he runs a 40amp fuse with a different thermostat, better harness, and relays. The installs that he has done are clean and well mounted. However, inevitably people get stuck on a 90+ Farenheit day in traffic and it is over. The car overheats.

Just thought I would put in my findings.

MW
Old 07-23-03, 08:45 AM
Khaos
Pole Position

tggoodrich,

Any luck with the dual Flexlite 210 electric fan conversion?
Old 07-23-03, 12:32 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Yes, I got them installed back in March. Do a search and you will find my installation thread.

They're holding up fine in the heat and it was 105 degrees here the other day.