SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

what made me decide this car was the right one

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 11:16 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what made me decide this car was the right one

I drove about half a dozen SC400's before I found mine. None of the ones I drove had 2 things I found in this car. Before I drove it, I didn't even know they were supposed to be there.

One is the big flexible disk that sits on top of the spare tire under the carpet in the trunk. The other is the foam-lined plastic cover that fits over the battery.

Little details like that, plus all the red dealer stamps in the warranty booklet, plus a Carfax that showed it was a one-owner car sold new by the local dealer, helped me make up my mind.

How many of you found those two items in your cars when you got them, assuming you bought them "pre-owned?"
Old 02-22-03, 02:06 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My 92 SC4, which I bought used / certified from a dealer, had those 2 items. The original battery had already been replaced with a Sears DieHard, so the battery cover didn't fit very well.

That DieHard recently died, so I replaced it with a Walmart Everstart 24F, a real bargain at $29.95. But it's a smaller battery, and so now that cover is REALLY oversized. I tried using it, but it doesn't look right. So the cover is in the garage now. IMO, unless you've got a full-sized battery, that cover just takes up room.
Old 02-22-03, 04:09 PM
bmsports
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually lucked out first time on my SC3. I found it on the internet and a day later i was on the way down there from melbourne with a 7000 check. When i got there i wasnt sure what to expect, so i had my friend vaki2 from the board here on speed dial to ask questions. The whole car was basically immaculate with exception of worn floormats, a few seat cracks, a funk smell and really ugly wheels. What sold me was two things, when i popped the hood it was suprisingly clean as well as the oil and the battery and t-belt were just changed by the local lexus dealer. The other clencher was the trunk, perfectly clean and it had custom lexus engraved tools in a case. I thought i was dreaming, so with very little indecisivness i tossed the check to the dealer and took her home that day.
Old 02-23-03, 11:04 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Perry, I had the same problem when I replaced my battery with an Optima - I made a spacer about 1-1/2" thick out of a cedar plank and put it under the battery, and cut some black ABS sheet to cover the top of the battery - then used the battery cover, and it looks pretty nice. Battery is nice and secure too, with the oem clamp in place.

(I should take a picture, eh?)

Little details like the condition of the trunk under the spare tire tell me a lot about how the previous owner kept the car - I did the same thing, pulled the spare looking for rust (the original spare has never been on the ground), found the toolkit and the first aid kit, the extra cd cartridge for the changer, even the owner's manual for the Lexus cell phone was in the glovebox!

Last edited by strongsail; 02-23-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-24-03, 11:37 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had both items but my SC had an aftermarket battery (a good one though)....but now it has a OEM Lexus Battery...
Old 02-24-03, 11:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

i got the trunk piece, but not the battery foam.

what made me buy my '92 sc400 last year is because i drove everything on all the new car lots with the exception of the exotics and still couldnt find one that did what an sc does as well as an sc does.

touch the dash and door panels in a newer car. tap on them. sounds hollow (and it is). cheap.

drive it. does it have that nice solid feel like the 400? naaaaaaa.

do you get a slide or **** that adjusts the temp to somewhere between blue and red, or a perfectly blended digital control center?

do they have Class......? not like pulling up in an sc and knowing that your car got you there in perfect comfort, with a perfectly balanced temprature, in heated leather seats, with a great sounding sound system, and a big shiney Lexus Emblem on the hood.

From the first turn of the key and the starting rev, to the final destination, my car is 10 going on 11 years old and still does it better than what's just being bult as i type this, and for less $$.

When you pull up in an SC, people know.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-24-03 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 01:11 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Got the trunk piece, but no battery foam piece. I didn't even know that it existed. Anyone got a picture? don't think I have ever seen one.
As far as the timeless styling of the car, I frequently get people asking me what it is and if it's a new one. This is probably the least recognized Lexus by the non- enthusiast general public. I love blowing their minds when I tell then it's a 95. Lexus....Still way ahead of the curve!
Old 02-25-03, 02:07 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine's not really foam- it is just a black plastic sleeve that fits around the sides of the large stock battery. Imagine a rectangular black plastic 1 gallon gasoline container with the top and bottom cut away. There is some thin foam on the inside, but on mine most of it has rotted away.

It's no great loss if you don't have one. Again, IMO, unless you've got the stock full-sized battery, that cover will show gaps along the sides and just takes up room in the engine compartment.
Old 02-25-03, 07:35 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new SC still had the tools and the battery cover. I think I still have the battery cover from my first SC layin in my garage. If you replace the battery, it's real tough to find another battery the same size. You have to use the OEM.
Old 02-25-03, 09:47 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Default funny you should ask

Rushgator, I mentioned earlier that I should take a picture - and I did, and here it is - this is the converted setup I mentioned, an orange-top Optima is hiding under there - -
Attached Thumbnails what made me decide this car was the right one-battery.jpg  
Old 02-27-03, 12:58 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

When the battery in my 96 SC400 (which came with both the spare fitting and battery cover) died, I wanted a replacement one that fit the tray and the cover. I couldn't find the green and white Interstate super battery in the right size but I did find a black and yellow one called the Interstate Workaholic (C27F-XHD) that is exactly right and at $80, a far sight cheaper than OEM.
Old 02-27-03, 02:30 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: funny you should ask

Thanks! Does look a bit cleaner and keeps a nice OEM look.

Originally posted by strongsail
Rushgator, I mentioned earlier that I should take a picture - and I did, and here it is - this is the converted setup I mentioned, an orange-top Optima is hiding under there - -