SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Nightmare in my dash and trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 11:59 PM
bbirgfeld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare in my dash and trunk

So I recently bought my Sc400 and lets just say she has seen better days. The biggest issue that I cannot figure out is my sound system. The car came with an aftermarket touchscreen radio, a beatbox wired into the back of the radio, and antenna. I installed a factory head unit into the car. Now I have no sound. I'm not even sure where to start diag. I'm taking a stab in the dark and thinking the issue is in the trunk where my amp/cd changer should be. My wiring is hacked to hell. I searched though the forum and found a few threads about the amp getting water in it and blowing the fuse. Any help/guidance would be appreciated
Old 06-07-14, 03:58 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will save a lot of time by letting a professional have a go at it. They usually do head unit installs for $55. That includes disassembling/reassembling the dash/center console... You are correct in thinking the issue is in the trunk, first thing you need to do is look at the amp/cd player in the back and find out if the harness has been hacked up or if there's rust build up, maybe even a stale water puddle.... Where did you get the factory head unit? Are you sure it's the same model that belongs in your car? There are multiple versions and slight differences over the years.

Also since you had a aftermarket head unit in the car, was the original stereo harness hacked up?
Old 06-07-14, 07:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

This is probably your best starting point for figuring out how much your stock setup was changed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

I originally hoped to take mine back to stock, but once that stuff has been hacked up like that, I think it's more trouble than it's worth. Just stick with the better performance of an aftermarket setup that looks as stock as possible.
Old 06-09-14, 12:14 AM
bbirgfeld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance works for a dealership, so he helps me with what he knows. He has only been Lexus certified 4 years and these SCs do not come through the dealership very often in my area. The factory radio I bought came from another 92 sc400 and I matched the pioneer numbers. The harness behind the radio had three cut/ broken wires which I repaired. It seems that the previous owner bought the radio harness adapter from pepboys so a lot of extra unneeded stuff was stuffed back there. I am waiting on an amp I found. I was missing the vent in the trunk on my passenger side so I believe water got up into my trunk throught that and in the amp. I also got a factory antenna coming. The CD changer is missing entirely. Pretty sure I'll have to clean and Repin most of the connectors back there.