SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PROBLEMS AFTER STARTER REPLACEMENT - uncontrollable idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 08:01 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEMS AFTER STARTER REPLACEMENT - uncontrollable idle

ok, so i replaced my starter which was bad, reinstalled everything while cleaning out alot of build up on throttle body, air intake chamber, and intake manifold. i go to start the vehicle after everything and fires right up as if brand new but immediately the revs are erratic. they go all the way up as if flooring it and then all the way down. this just continues. the first time i started it, huge amount of smoke came out of the exhaust, this cleared up eventually. i did notice through the entire process that i did not do a good job of keeping those cables in order and the nuts on the same part of the adjuster thing (accelerator cable, at throttle control cable, and cruise control cable). i think my problem lies somewhere here or with the TPS connector which is also slighlty damaged around the plastic where the screw goes in .. it only uses one screw at this point. finally, my gas pedal is very soft and flat, almost going to ground without touching it.. ANYONE CAN YOU HELP?
Old 12-22-13, 08:43 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you take the TPS off?
Old 12-22-13, 08:43 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

i just now checked cel codes.. 21 and 24 are showing. 21 - Main oxygen sensor signal (on left bank) and 24 - Intake air temp. sensor signal.... i tried turning car on with and without maf sensor plugged in.. erratic idle with maf, low, sputtering idle without maf sensor plugged in
Old 12-22-13, 08:44 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

yes i did remove it, the one on the right was already turned towards clockwise so i had actually turn the throttle with the cable in order to put back the screws
i will try to get two videos up with and without maf plugged in
Old 12-22-13, 08:46 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

When you put that TPS i am sure it is spring loaded... make sure you put back right.
Old 12-22-13, 08:48 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

One or more of your sensors/TPS needs adjusting since you removed them. Also check your vac lines to ensure they are where they should be.
Old 12-22-13, 08:53 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

Here is what its like with MAF plugged in...
Here is what its like without MAF plugged in...
Old 12-22-13, 08:55 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

and the thing makes a constant clicking sound under hood when i put the key on contact before turning it on
Old 12-22-13, 09:45 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Follow your vacuum diagram under your hood..
Old 12-22-13, 10:02 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JesLet
Follow your vacuum diagram under your hood..
Can you explain what you mean a little better? are you talking about spraying starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks or what?

sorry
Old 12-22-13, 10:07 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aks92sc400
Can you explain what you mean a little better? are you talking about spraying starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks or what?

sorry
You removed the vacuum lines when cleaning right? I assume you mismatched the vaccum lines upon reinstalling so i suggest to follow the vacuum diagram under your hood. Its a white sticker under your hood. And also make sure you install the TPS correctly.

Did you clean the MAF, what did you use to clean it? maybe you reinstalled when its still wet?
Old 12-22-13, 10:46 AM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JesLet
You removed the vacuum lines when cleaning right? I assume you mismatched the vaccum lines upon reinstalling so i suggest to follow the vacuum diagram under your hood. Its a white sticker under your hood. And also make sure you install the TPS correctly.

Did you clean the MAF, what did you use to clean it? maybe you reinstalled when its still wet?
i checked the vaccum lines theyre good, tps once again is not on there as good as it should be... What would my car do if i removed tps completely?

as far as cleaning i just ued throttle body cleaner and made sure it was nice and clean after wards, dray as well

btw i didnt clean the maf
Attached Thumbnails PROBLEMS AFTER STARTER REPLACEMENT - uncontrollable idle-img_0292-1-.jpg  
Old 12-22-13, 11:02 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I would suggest that start with the obvious issue first ..

Disconnect the throttle link and see if the intake butterfly moves smoothly and closes when you release force. Then check if the throttle links are moving fine, as there may be a twist or a kink or a forced bend. Reroute and check again and when things are fine connect the link.

Initial issues with the introduction of cleaner agent have been removed by now ,,, initial erratic behavior at idle should be expected.

Salim
Old 12-22-13, 07:24 PM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

another major thing is that while the car is on, the gas pedal is completly depressed and loose, it doesnt have any power to rev the engine up... i almost sure my problem lies somewhere with the accelerator cable and the rest of the throttle body attachments.. also where should my second throttle lever be before ignition (the one i cleaned and showed pictures of)?
Attached Thumbnails PROBLEMS AFTER STARTER REPLACEMENT - uncontrollable idle-tb03.jpg  
Old 12-22-13, 07:28 PM
aks92sc400
Driver School Candidate

would a bad coilpack connection cause something like this?, i remember alot of the plastic connections were very brittle and hard to connect back, outside plastic pieces would often times crack or break...

Quick Reply: PROBLEMS AFTER STARTER REPLACEMENT - uncontrollable idle