SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

93 SC300 head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 02:33 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
I don't think any new technology has changed over the past 20 years when it comes to gaskets, gaskets always need to be replaced. A blown head gasket can lead to much more expensive fixes. Stick with whats proven and you'll be golden.
well then these companies need to be sued for 'false advertising' lol. the oem are black and the aftermarkets look like carbon fiber, im sure the oem are good but the whole point of the aftermarket parts are to superior to the oem.
Old 10-17-13, 02:40 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That''s where you are wrong. Aftermarket will almost never be superior than OEM. It's not false advertising you can reuse anything but a used headgasket will never seal as well as a virgin HG.

If anything aftermarket is even more quality than OEM there will usually a much higher price range. Honestly idk what else to say. I usually stick to OEM if possible,
Old 10-17-13, 02:44 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

That''s where you are wrong. Aftermarket will almost never be superior than OEM. It's not false advertising you can reuse anything but a used headgasket will never seal as well as a virgin HG.

If anything aftermarket is even more quality than OEM there will usually a much higher price range. Honestly idk what else to say. I usually stick to OEM if possible,
for example: im upgrading to a CF hood because it is indeed superior to the oem, its stronger, lighter, and cheaper than getting a brand new hood but more expensive than a used one, gaskets can be reused but you would need to reseal it which is impossible.
Old 10-17-13, 03:10 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

carbon fiber hood isn't really stronger, and not really superior. A cheap carbon fiber hood can fit horribly, and crack, and not be smooth. It's also not cheaper than an OEM hood. you can find a well priced OEM hood in good condition pretty easily. I do know seibon makes pretty quality carbon fiber products though. Carbon fiber also does not dent, it cracks, and when it cracks it can only be repaired with fiberglass and it will have to be painted over. I have friends with carbon fiber parts and they always complain how ill fitting it is and how they have to be careful or else they will crack the carbon fiber and i have seen it first hand crack right in front of my eyes.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 10-17-13 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 08:47 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

carbon fiber hood isn't really stronger, and not really superior. A cheap carbon fiber hood can fit horribly, and crack, and not be smooth. It's also not cheaper than an OEM hood. you can find a well priced OEM hood in good condition pretty easily. I do know seibon makes pretty quality carbon fiber products though. Carbon fiber also does not dent, it cracks, and when it cracks it can only be repaired with fiberglass and it will have to be painted over. I have friends with carbon fiber parts and they always complain how ill fitting it is and how they have to be careful or else they will crack the carbon fiber and i have seen it first hand crack right in front of my eyes.
fml lol, you always find a way to make me sound dumb, i hate u lol

jk
Old 10-18-13, 12:58 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

I'm merely stating facts, it's not just you, whatever I can help with I'll share with others through my own personal experiences or from what I have read from here. So please stop thinking every post I make is about you.
Old 10-18-13, 03:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

stick with oem headgaskets ,, they work and have been used with people making upwards of 1200 hp .. aftermarket designs like cometic are junk .. i used to use the boostlogic design and blew 2 went to oem gte and been boosting 600 on 93 oct since 2010 with zero issues