Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What machine work to have done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 10:48 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What machine work to have done?

So i finally got around to picking up another GE engine. This engine is going into the woman's SC300 and she wants around 400hp which really is not an issue seeing how the stock internals can handle that all day long without a hiccup. The questions I do have are about what to have to machine shop do and what I should replace.

The person I purchased the engine from said he blew the head gasket and was going to keep it as a spare but decided to sell it instead. So I'm getting the head checked out but what else should I have done excluding cleaning?

The cylinders LOOK good no visual damage and when I run my fingers over them I dont feel any odd issues. I have enclosed a whole bunch of pictures of the head and bottom end..........tell me what you guys think I should have done.

I plan on replacing the following:

Piston rings: with oem
Head Bolts: ARP
Headgasket: 1.3mm
Valve seals.......hopefully thats all I will need to replace on the valve train

I want to reuse the pistons, rods and bearing.........

Also I have another bottom end but I just noticed this piece is broken.........is it fixable?

Old 06-01-10, 07:22 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in somewhat of the same boat, have an engine with blown head gasket, and would like some input on this as well. thanks guys
Old 06-02-10, 06:08 PM
Johnny3
Rookie

Measure the bore at the bottom of each cylinder in 2 or 3 directions with a inside micrometer, do the same at the top of each cylinder (abt. 1/2" from top of deck), compare the differences, if top measurements are .004" or more larger than bottom do a bore job.
Old 06-02-10, 06:36 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

If you're going to use an MLS type head gasket, be sure and have your head and block machined to the right RA spec.
Old 06-02-10, 07:47 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
If you're going to use an MLS type head gasket, be sure and have your head and block machined to the right RA spec.
Yeah I do plan on using a MLS HG...........this might be a ridiculous question but what is RA spec?

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the pistons and see what the deal is with the bearings........hopefully they are not spun
Old 06-02-10, 09:46 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Yeah I do plan on using a MLS HG...........this might be a ridiculous question but what is RA spec?

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the pistons and see what the deal is with the bearings........hopefully they are not spun
Per Cometic: " A surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer, is recommended for a proper gasket seal. Anything rougher may conflict with the gasket design. "

reference: http://www.cometic.com/faq.aspx#q4

Additional info: http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea...et_failure.htm

BTW, good luck with the bearings
Old 06-04-10, 12:50 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Per Cometic: " A surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer, is recommended for a proper gasket seal. Anything rougher may conflict with the gasket design. "

reference: http://www.cometic.com/faq.aspx#q4

Additional info: http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea...et_failure.htm

BTW, good luck with the bearings
Thanks

I havent had a chance to check the bearings yet, to many graduations lol. Any thoughts on if the issue in the last 2 pictures is fixable?

This is the "PLAN"............which will probably not go as it is supposed to lol, but hopefully it works out lol. In the next few days I'm going to break down the block and see if there are any spun bearings, if not I'm going have the shop make sure all is well with both the head and bottom end. Once its all decked the cylinders will honed.........if the bearings are fine I'm not going to have the crank touched because of the HP range I'm looking for.

Is there anything you can think of to have done at the shop? I want this engine to last atleast 80k miles because its going to be a daily driver.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the TT HG but not 100% sure just yet. If I put the TT gasket on and drove around for a bit with the engine completely stock would should I except?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 06-04-10 at 01:33 PM.