SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP! 1995 SC300 aftermarket headlight BULBS !

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 11:10 AM
hamim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! 1995 SC300 aftermarket headlight BULBS !

i got pulled over the other day for using my high beams because the previous owner put on some useless aftermarket headlights that dont have any bulbs! sure it has a halo ring but that doesnt work at all i cant see anything so i had to use the high beams.

anyway cop told me that i can get it fixed in 10 days and the ticket will be waived.
i bought a set of 9006 standard bulbs... it electrical connections fit perfectly BUT THE BULB WOULD NOT GO INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT HOUSING it was too big for the hole.

please help i dont wanna end up paying 200 something dollars !

i only have 9 days remaining to fix this problem ~

HAMIM KHAN
1995 SC300 PEARL WHITE
216k miles
Old 04-18-13, 11:28 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Find out who manufactured the headlamp, then find out what bulb size they use. I don't know why it would be any different than stock. That takes away from its plug and play ability. Try and take a pic of the back of the headlamp housing, and another pic showing how bulb doesn't fit.
Old 04-18-13, 03:17 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by hamim
i got pulled over the other day for using my high beams because the previous owner put on some useless aftermarket headlights that dont have any bulbs! sure it has a halo ring but that doesnt work at all i cant see anything so i had to use the high beams.

anyway cop told me that i can get it fixed in 10 days and the ticket will be waived.
i bought a set of 9006 standard bulbs... it electrical connections fit perfectly BUT THE BULB WOULD NOT GO INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT HOUSING it was too big for the hole.

please help i dont wanna end up paying 200 something dollars !

i only have 9 days remaining to fix this problem ~

HAMIM KHAN
1995 SC300 PEARL WHITE
216k miles
Hi,
If you have "Halo Projector" headlights, they likely use H1 bulbs (mine did). They will NEVER be bright, even with the best bulbs. They also aim left (blinding other drivers) instead of right for driving on the other side of the road. Get some junkyard stock headlights, refresh them and install HID if you can pull it off in time. Or get cheap H1 bulbs temporarily and PM "Aliga" on this board and have him ship some stock lights.
It will be like night and day.....

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-18-13 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 03:49 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, just buy a used OEM headlights.
Old 04-22-13, 04:41 PM
hamim
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replies guys.
i looked up what type of bulb goes into the aftermarket headlight ..turns out its the H1's. so i bought one (will buy the other one later if this one works) i bought the H1 female connecters and going to just cut the 9006 female plug and wire in the H1 plug... hopefully this works and theres no problem with things like differences in current and voltage. from my understanding the H1 and 9006 are both 55W 12V lights. but what makes me wonder is that the H1 plug wiring only has one fat wire... so i dont know how it grounds but im gonna give it a try anyway.
hopefully i wont make things worse for myself !
Old 04-22-13, 04:43 PM
hamim
Driver School Candidate

i just joined recently btw. and i cant figure out how to send images !
Old 04-22-13, 05:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Be careful!

Originally Posted by hamim
thanks for the replies guys.
i looked up what type of bulb goes into the aftermarket headlight ..turns out its the H1's. so i bought one (will buy the other one later if this one works) i bought the H1 female connecters and going to just cut the 9006 female plug and wire in the H1 plug... hopefully this works and theres no problem with things like differences in current and voltage. from my understanding the H1 and 9006 are both 55W 12V lights. but what makes me wonder is that the H1 plug wiring only has one fat wire... so i dont know how it grounds but im gonna give it a try anyway.
hopefully i wont make things worse for myself !
If you looked it up, then you may have missed my post above telling you it was likely an H1, LOL

I may not get what you mean, but if you just said you are going to cut away your stock wiring to wire in the aftermarket sockets, I highly suggest against it. These lights will never be bright and will always project the wrong way for American roads as they are RHD biased instead of LHD biased. Mine "worked" as intended but were the worst headlights I ever had on any car. REALLY dangerous at night.

Seriously as I said above (as did Kingphillip), You should just grab ANY stock lights you can afford. You can refinish them with sandpaper and plastic polish if they are foggy (DIY's are here) then get the best 9006 bulb and use it until you can afford HID's.

If you expect normal light when you finally get bulbs for this, you will be seriously disappointed.

If you can't wait it out. BE CAREFUL, GOOD LUCK! Don't fry your ride!

Uploading Pictures?
Instead of "Post Quick Reply" hit "Go Advanced" and look for "Manage Attachments". The window that pops up will allow you to navigate to files on your drive.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-22-13 at 07:56 PM.