SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 07:33 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Electrical question

I'm restoring a 1992 sc400 and want to add daytime running/ fog lights, I found a pair of LEDs that i like. I want to connect them independently from my head lights, I want to go direct to the battery with an on and off switch. My question is, can I buy a relay of some kind that will turn off the lights in the event I forget them on? And is it difficult to install or a better question is would someone with limited skills be able to do it?
Thank you
Old 03-23-13, 08:02 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want a relay that will automatically turn them off?

If you want them to only be capable of being turned on when the key is turned to accessory that could work.

I can think of a kind of complicated way to do this, but not really so complicated that anyone couldn't do it. First, set up a standard relay that is hooked up to your on/off switch, the battery, a ground, and your LED lights. Then, hook up a second relay on the wire between your battery and the first relay. Again, ground it, hook it up to the battery, and hook it up to the relay. Then take the wire from your second relay that represents the switch or signal wire. Wire it up to an empty fuse that is only hot when the key is turned to accessory, or hook it up to your radio's signal/remote turn on wire.

This way the LED's are controlled by your on/off switch, but also they can only get power when the key is turned to accessory, or when the head unit is getting power. This way if you leave them on, when you pull the key out of the ignition they'll turn off automatically and stop drawing power.

Anyone can learn how to wire up a relay, it is pretty simple and self explanatory.

The ground wire goes to ground, the switch/signal/remote wire goes to whatever will control the relays on/off mechanism. The power wire goes towards your power source, and the last wire goes to what you are turning on. You'll want to get a good soldering gun and learn how to use it, along with some electrical tape and heat shrink to secure your solder. As long as you don't give up, there is a wealth of information on youtube, forums like these or the12volt ( http://www.the12volt.com/ ). If you get stuck, go to the12volt seriously one of the best sites on the internet for electrical work bar none.

As far as mounting the LED's, or aiming them. I've never done it before, but HIDplanet's LED forum has a few guides about DRL's and LED DRL's. If you are trying to make functioning LED fogs... well the fabrication may be rather difficult if you've never fabbed such a thing before, but it's not impossible, however, if you just want to make DRL's, that will be much simpler, and the forums on HID planet should be very helpful at giving you ideas for your DRL's.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...51063-DRL-bars
Old 04-01-13, 07:38 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought, on eBay, a relay which automatically turns on the DRLs when the vehicle is running and automatically turns them off when the car is off. It very simply wires to the pos. and neg. terminals of the battery. Basically, when it gets over 13 volts (when the alternator is charging the battery/car is running) the lights turn on and when it gets less than 13 volts it turns off. Pretty cool. It also has an extra wire that when powered, it turns off the lights. This is designed to connect to the headlights so that the DRLs turn off when the headlights come on but it is optional. I didn't connect mine. You could wire it with a switch if you so desired. It works really well and costs less than $20 if you buy one through auction format. I think it was like $24.99 with Buy It Now. I think I searched for "DRL automatic switch" in the eBay search field. Good luck and have fun!