SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC or MKIII Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 06:12 PM
Authorize
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SC or MKIII Supra?

Hello all. I've been searching for a SC for some time now, and what I've been seeing aren't all that great. However, I have been seeing some MKIII Supra's available. So, I was wondering what you guys say. Now, given I know this is a LEXUS forum, and almost everybody will say SC. But, factor in the fact that Toyota and Lexus are family. This second car that I'm trying to get is sort of a half-time daily commuter (my other car is a leased IS350). I have no family so rear seat comfort is not really that important. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-15-12, 06:20 PM
IndyMK3
Driver School Candidate

I love my MK3 supra... but honestly if i didnt have MY supra as my first supra i would have prolly been in a lexus much sooner... if i was to do it all again i would have swaped a 2j in the MK3 a LONG time ago. Now I have my 400hp 7m mk3 for the fun driving and a 95 SC400 as a daily.
Old 03-15-12, 06:44 PM
Josh400
Driver

I would get an sc drop a 1j in it. I would pick an sc. But thats just me
Old 03-15-12, 06:50 PM
Nysc300
Rookie

Mk3! I've never been a fan of that body style but if its what you like go ahead. I will say this the mk3 will give you just as much problems as the sc if not more, I mean it is over 20 years old so it's all up to you. But they are both great cars in my eyes and will require almost the same work to get it to a great running car. Best of luck..
Old 03-15-12, 07:12 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

MK3s require a TON of work, and just as much patience. They are a very 'idiot' proof car. If you're going to buy one, especially a turbo, don't expect it to be a car that you can just get in and drive. When looking at a MK3, inquiring the owner if he's replaced the headgasket and re-torqued the headbolts to proper spec. (75 to 90 ft. lbs) with new headbolts/studs. If they have no clue what you're talking about, or don't have recipts, or try to avoid the subject, or whatever, walk away unless you want to deal with having to service the head gasket in the future.

The MK3 is a great car once you get it running properly. But, just remember, 25 years ago, it was Toyota's flagship halo car. It's a very complicated car, and a lot can go wrong with it.

The SC is also a complicated, heavy, sports-luxury GT car. And it too, was Lexus'/Toyota's halo car in 1992. So, just as much can go wrong with it. However, the SC is on a newer platform, with a more modern chassis, with two engines (1UZ/2JZ) that are simply designed better than the 7M.
Old 03-15-12, 07:40 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suprrisingly, maintenance on the lexus has been cheaper than any mk3 I've had.
and I have done EVERY bit of maintenance possible on my lexus.

still want a 1uz powered mark3, but I prefer the lexus.
Old 03-15-12, 07:58 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
MK3s require a TON of work, and just as much patience. They are a very 'idiot' proof car. If you're going to buy one, especially a turbo, don't expect it to be a car that you can just get in and drive. When looking at a MK3, inquiring the owner if he's replaced the headgasket and re-torqued the headbolts to proper spec. (75 to 90 ft. lbs) with new headbolts/studs. If they have no clue what you're talking about, or don't have recipts, or try to avoid the subject, or whatever, walk away unless you want to deal with having to service the head gasket in the future.

The MK3 is a great car once you get it running properly. But, just remember, 25 years ago, it was Toyota's flagship halo car. It's a very complicated car, and a lot can go wrong with it.

The SC is also a complicated, heavy, sports-luxury GT car. And it too, was Lexus'/Toyota's halo car in 1992. So, just as much can go wrong with it. However, the SC is on a newer platform, with a more modern chassis, with two engines (1UZ/2JZ) that are simply designed better than the 7M.
THIS

i find it funny every time a kid picks up a MK3 turbo and thinks he's got it easy, then goes WTF when he blows the engine. These cars can be very impressive, but only with the right parts...which means $$$. I admit when i was first looking for my first car the MK3 did catch my eye but when i found my SC for a good deal, i picked it up and haven't looked back.
Old 03-16-12, 01:20 AM
sc400dj
Rookie

ive owned a total of 9 mk3's they are fun but one thing your going to have to think about is how much down time are you willing to give to it... the mk3 is what stopped me in my car building tracks after my last one i poured hours and money into it just to have the NEW oil pump fail and loose a 2 grand rebuild on the motor im not saying that happens to all of them or that it will happen to you but from what I have learned be it starions/conquests, supra's , 300zx's , dsm's and such I rather just stick to a newer platform thats easier to work with and more reliable and yet just as much fun without all the hassles of 25+ years of being owned by kids who tear them up and you have to fix their mistakes...by all means if your heart screams for the mk3 go for it but if your head screams reliability and fun id rather go with a sc...i did
Old 03-16-12, 06:10 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 2 mk3's and I own a sc400 1jz swap now. I had an auto n/a and a 5spd hardtop gte conversion.

They gave me tons of problems. If I knew what I know now about mechanics I would had swapped a jz engine. And that's what everyone here is saying pretty much. Upgrade the engine and keep the old car.
Old 03-16-12, 07:13 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400dj
ive owned a total of 9 mk3's they are fun but one thing your going to have to think about is how much down time are you willing to give to it... the mk3 is what stopped me in my car building tracks after my last one i poured hours and money into it just to have the NEW oil pump fail and loose a 2 grand rebuild on the motor im not saying that happens to all of them or that it will happen to you but from what I have learned be it starions/conquests, supra's , 300zx's , dsm's and such I rather just stick to a newer platform thats easier to work with and more reliable and yet just as much fun without all the hassles of 25+ years of being owned by kids who tear them up and you have to fix their mistakes...by all means if your heart screams for the mk3 go for it but if your head screams reliability and fun id rather go with a sc...i did
I'm with this guy. But I must say you need to decide based on what you want!! The last mk3 I had I loved dearly and regret selling it. I personally never had HG problems or any other problems with the car. I built the motor, trans, body, paint, and then put down some good numbers (7M).
But I must say if you find a 1j supra swap it will be easier to do in the Supra platform then the SC platform IF you go 1j.
Keep in mind each car was made for it's own reason's and it really comes down to comparing apples to oranges. The 3rd gen supra was at the end of it's generation with the SC was introduced.
Old 03-16-12, 08:17 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother has an 89 n/a that he's owned since 1993. It's got a spun bearing so it looks like a good candidate for a 1UZ swap. Engine is cheap, mounts are cheap, and it isn't that involved mechanically. A v8 targa would be a nice cruiser. The design still turns heads on the road too, as long as the car is in good shape.

The MK3's are built like tanks. They were Toyota's flagship when there was no Lexus and it's apparent in the quality of their build.
Old 03-16-12, 08:28 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is how the conversations go with an average guy if you own an MKIII.

"DUDE YOU HAVE A SUPRA? Oh. That's a Supra? I've never seen those before. I didn't know they made an older Supra like that. At least it's as fast as the newer Supra's right? Oh, really? You have to swap the motor out? Bummer."

This is how the conversations go with an average guy if you own an SC.

"Why did you buy such an old Lexus? WOW REALLY? It comes stock with the same motor as the Supra? Oh so it doesn't have the same twin turbos. How many does it have? Really? None? Well it must be easy to just throw them in if they have identical motors otherwise, right? Hmmm... Interesting. So you really have to swap the motor don't you?"

Pick your poison and enjoy explaining the car when people ask why you didn't just buy a MKIV
Old 03-16-12, 11:52 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^the response is simple.
"ya got $30k for me to pick one up? no? jog off."
Old 03-16-12, 12:13 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also you don't have to do an engine swap with the 7M. Its a capable motor. It was faster than my current mk4

I remember with a fresh engine, intake, open dp, and stock FMIC I was busting out high 13's hitting fuel cutoff right before the qtr mile line. 13.8 with a horrible 2.5 60ft still on stock CT26.
Old 03-16-12, 12:22 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually hear the... YOU PAID 4k FOR A 1997 CAR........ yet these are the same people that go out to a car dealership and buy a 95 dodge spirit for $1600......

Quick Reply: SC or MKIII Supra?