SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why no love for the 1UZ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 07:02 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no love for the 1UZ?

Everywhere I look, I see all these threads about guys with clean SC400's, with perfectly good 1UZs, pulling them to drop a 1JZ/2JZ. Why are they essentially downgrading engines? You have 8 cylinders, why oh why would you drop down to 6?

No, there aren't as many aftermarket mods for the 1UZ currently, but that is largely the fault of the community! If this motor had half the mods and kits available to it, it'd be a beast! If we could easily get a supercharger onto it other than a M90, and had an intercooler kit, we would be set, and could put down some crazy power.

So, I petition that we start a "Save the Muscle!"movement, to keep our V8 cars from being defiled with inline 6 bangers.

But seriously, what can be done to make more power in the 1UZ?
Old 02-23-12, 07:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Headers, exhaust, cams, supercharger, NOS, and BFI. Thats about it, well maybe a TT setup. When you start pricing parts as I have, you will know why everyone is switching the motor out to a 1JZ or 2JZ. Parts are either custom built or special ordered. The inline 6 have ready available parts just about everywhere now and they are pretty reliable. I dont know how reliable yet, but will know very soon, in the next few weeks.
Old 02-23-12, 07:47 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

It's not that there is no love.... they are great engines. But for most people looking for more power, it costs WAY too much to modify and turbo or TT the V8. Most or all of it has to be custom. And there is much less info on them. For example, what to use for engine management, etc...

You should turbo your V8, post a thread with pictures, and a process that you've taken. THAT is what encourages people to follow in your tracks, not random discussions because believe me, there have been a thousand of these.
Old 02-23-12, 07:54 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as supercharger setups continue to cost $3k+, modding the v8 to that level will never be commonplace. You can NA-T a 300 for half that amount.

A Vortech-style supercharger would be the easiest to implement as a kit. We'd just need the unit, a bracket, and an idler/belt setup to make it all fit. Plumbing would be relatively simple. Feed it through a generic FMIC and into the engine and viola -- 8-9psi of power with little fuss.

GA is one of the states that banned nitrous setups in street cars. I think they showed the F&F movie to the legislature who quickly passed a law against what has to be the only way to make a car fast. Continued use might blow your floorboards out!

We're stuck with an intake, exhaust, and torque converter as the only useful mods. Be sure to cut that accumulator wire though -- it makes a huge difference in power delivery. I recently beat down an early 2000s Mustang GT, to his surprise and my own. All I see is people saying how slow the 400 is but if you let that power reach the pavement it isn't that bad. My 2nd gear makes me smile every time and I've owned cars with 3x this horsepower.
Old 02-23-12, 10:31 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

In the US, the aftermarket for the 1UZ simply isn't there. The 2JZ was always way more popular due to it being 'teh supra motor', so the aftermarket for it is huge, giving you the potential to make big power cheaply.

Go to Australia, and it's a bit of a different story. They have an infatuation with the V8, and there's more potential for it there. I've seen multiple 1000 HP 1UZs and they've all come from the Aussies.

I have hope for the 1UZ. I'm starting to see more manual V8 builds popping up on CL, and more people are discovering its potential.

Another thing you can do to increase power/efficiency for this motor is retune it to make it run more lean. Tuning a 1UZ is still expensive, but this engine runs very rich from the factory.
Old 02-23-12, 11:10 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is love man...lots of love. How do I know...i have one. In fact i have a custom single turbo 5speed i need to finish. Parts are hard to find, make or if they are made expensive. If i could do it over again i would probably go 2jzgte. In fact im contemplating selling my single turbo 1uz. Alot of work has to be done, going elec fans, ls400 pump, injectors, wiring, pipe routing with virtually no space. The list goes on...look at scottyournot or sc400tt, his tt isnt even done yet and its been the better part of a millennium (jk). It just takes time...the UZ series is well or rather was well used in the baja1000 making gobs of NA power.
Old 02-23-12, 11:28 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Default Nitrous

I am told that nitrous is the way to go for affordable horsepower gains on these.

I say this because I have not actually put one on my sc400 yet.

My friend with a 92 sc400 is putting a 150 shot wet kit in the next couple weeks, so i'll let you know how that works out.

These motors are fairly robust, we'll see how it holds up.

Pretty cheap to buy and install though.
Old 02-23-12, 12:08 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MooJohn
Be sure to cut that accumulator wire though -- it makes a huge difference in power delivery.
What does cutting this wire actually do? Sorry, don't know what an accumulator wire is lol.
Old 02-23-12, 01:48 PM
616racing
Driver School Candidate

I love that everyone takes them out...it means many more on craigslist for cheap for the rest of us.
Old 02-23-12, 02:25 PM
DRFT86
Rookie

No 1uz love? Look at what we do with 1uz's

540hp 1uz drift truck.

Also in the process of building a 1uz AE86, 1uz with 2uz conversion 72 celica, the list goes on...

theturbodave.com
Old 02-23-12, 02:50 PM
Phrekazoid
Driver School Candidate

The 1 Uz gets plenty of love i swapped my 1 jz with a i uz its so much better imo. much better take offs and all
Old 02-23-12, 03:12 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
Everywhere I look, I see all these threads about guys with clean SC400's, with perfectly good 1UZs, pulling them to drop a 1JZ/2JZ. Why are they essentially downgrading engines? You have 8 cylinders, why oh why would you drop down to 6?

No, there aren't as many aftermarket mods for the 1UZ currently, but that is largely the fault of the community! If this motor had half the mods and kits available to it, it'd be a beast! If we could easily get a supercharger onto it other than a M90, and had an intercooler kit, we would be set, and could put down some crazy power.

So, I petition that we start a "Save the Muscle!"movement, to keep our V8 cars from being defiled with inline 6 bangers.

But seriously, what can be done to make more power in the 1UZ?

You are on the wrong forum. Lextreme.com has the answers to all your questions.
Old 02-23-12, 03:17 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Y'all should check out my 400! I got TT in it! Tweak This and Tweak That! LOL
Old 02-23-12, 03:21 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can 1UZ's make 600+ hp reliably without touching the bottom end like 1J and 2J's?

lmao @ calling a 2JGTE a "down grade" from a 1UZ.

to my knowledge the most highly modified 1UZ in history with forced induction still hasn't made as much hp as the highest modified 2JGTE and stayed reliable. it just has more toque because if the liters obviously.

but there is a replacement for displacement. its called forced induction...and on a hella reliable motor aka 1J's/2J's you can't go wrong.

That's why people ditch the 1UZ for 1J's/2J's.

Last edited by MIGS; 02-23-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 03:36 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

no space to play with

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 1UZ?