SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

unlock button on key

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-11, 07:36 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unlock button on key

hey guys, i just replaced the battery in my key hoping it would solve my lock/unlock problem but it didnt solve anything. is there a sensor i need to replace or something? would love to have keyless entry
Old 11-06-11, 08:20 PM
FORTYSIXn2
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue on mine only to later discover that the previous owner had installed an aftermarket alarm that was disabled, but still wired in. I had to go through and uninstall the alarm module, getting everything back to factory in order to get mine to work. Might be worth a shot to take a look and make sure nothing like that is hiding in your car somewhere.
Old 11-06-11, 08:44 PM
ScSlider
Driver School Candidate

I thought same thing. Even tried reprogramming after about the 50th time of opening and closing my door and such I gave up.
Cept the other day I had locked my doors and lifted my hood and alarm went off

So Bump for answers
Old 11-06-11, 09:20 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
hey guys, i just replaced the battery in my key hoping it would solve my lock/unlock problem but it didnt solve anything. is there a sensor i need to replace or something? would love to have keyless entry
What year is your car? For 1992-1997 (which I think is the last year before the new key design) you have to replace a chip that is matched to a new key set from a dealer.

I had the same problem with my 1993 when I bought it and tried replacing the battery, which did nothing. It still worked well as a master key but the remote function was dead as a doorknob. I ended up having to order a new ket of remote masters with a chip for the above model years. This is only true for the remote masters. Non-Remote Master, Valet, and Wallet keys can all be ordered one by one since they are only tied to the car's VIN and not a microchip.

There was a thread on this same problem a week ago and another DIY thread recently detailing how to change the microchip yourself.

You can also go through Sewell to order these and have them mailed to you.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-11, 08:08 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FORTYSIXn2
I had the same issue on mine only to later discover that the previous owner had installed an aftermarket alarm that was disabled, but still wired in. I had to go through and uninstall the alarm module, getting everything back to factory in order to get mine to work. Might be worth a shot to take a look and make sure nothing like that is hiding in your car somewhere.
damn that sucks dude! Anyways, i have a 92 sc300. i dont have any aftermarket system so i know it cant be that. will have to look for that chip repair on here. thxs!
Old 11-07-11, 08:12 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a good thread about this. Please use the search button located at the top of this forum.
Old 11-07-11, 11:04 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tabaka
There is a good thread about this. Please use the search button located at the top of this forum.
i knew someone was gonna say use the search button. i did before i posted and i couldnt even find anything on it...no matter what keywords i used. any links plz?
Old 11-07-11, 11:19 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

O.L.T. had a tip for people who had key problems due to a broken solder joint inside:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ess-entry.html
Old 11-08-11, 10:11 PM
baritoneg
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar issue in my 92 Sc400. There are a couple of possible issues that you can look at before you go all the way to the chip. Unfortunately, one you have already done.. replace the battery in the key. They other, even though it might sould obvious, is even easier. Make sure that the button underneath your steering wheel for the keyless entry is turned on. Like I said, I know it sounds ridiculous, but that could be your problem. The keyless entry switch, again, is underneath your steering wheel. It will have a picture of a door with a key in it. If you have issues finding it just reply and I will post up a picture. If you are unfortunate and it is not a simple mistake (that would be better because it won't cost a thing!) then you will need to replace the chip for the keyless entry. This chip is in the remote control module which is located on the passenger side of the vehicle in the panel next to the rear seat. To acces the module you need to remove backseat and remove the tabs to pull off the panel. You will see the module bolted onto the wall of the car by three bolts. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE COVER OF THE MODULE. Instead there is a small slot on the bottom left corner of the module that the chip slides into. All you have to do is slide out the old chip, if one is there at all, and slide in the new one. All together this takes about an hour. The hardest part is mustering up the courage to spend $300+ for a new chip and set of keys. Good luck and if you have any questions reply or PM me.
Old 11-09-11, 01:30 PM
unknown159
Pole Position

mines needs to be reprogrammed anyone know how to do that?
Old 11-09-11, 02:40 PM
FORTYSIXn2
Driver School Candidate

Thats good info Baritoneg, i was wondering where that module was.
Old 11-09-11, 05:02 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baritoneg
The hardest part is mustering up the courage to spend $300+ for a new chip and set of keys. Good luck and if you have any questions reply or PM me.
thxs baritoneg for the useful information. unfortunately i have already checked the key hole underneath the steering wheel. if i have to pay $300...might as well go aftermarket with a viper system or a clifford.