SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 07:51 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?

OK, I couldn't resist not posting this up regarding what is being labeled as "Mods" now days with the SC...First of all, I want to be sure to state that I intend no dis-respect in anyway, just sharing my opinions, which is a large part of what public forums are about. How long has the SC been around now? It came out in late 91, I believe. So, that makes the model 20 years old...It was rather revolutionary when it came out, and cutting edge in many ways...Plus, the styling was gorgeous, and in fact, it still is one of the best looking cars on the road today, IMHO... (Some of them are, some of them are embarrassing)

As with all luxury, high end coupes, it was expensive, and only the well to do bought them. Most of those people do not "Mod" cars...they just drive them and service them, and trade them in after 2-3 years. So, as like in most expensive rides, and with most people, the SC started to get modded as it aged. At this point, the car has been modded every which way it can, especially the SC300 with the JZ platform, and now, even the UZ platform (for those of us crazy enought to want to spend the gobs of money it takes to really mod the V8)...THe car is really aging, and the price to buy a used one that has been owned by 3-6 or more previous owners has really dropped. So, now the price to enter is really getting cheap...But the cost to bring the car to stock OEM condition is high and most never consider that...So, most do not go to that level, and rather, look for some body kit (mainly a knock off), and some wide, wide wheels and tires as cheaply as possible to add to the car...Please understand that I am not knocking this...And I do understand that normally, the younger we are, the less established we are, so the less budget we have to add "Clean" mods to our cars...

I have to say though, that it pains me to see some of the mods that are regularly being done to the SC...It is going downhill, IMHO...If I did not like mine so much, I would almost consider parting it out and buying an Aston Martin DBS...But, I would rather hand that stuffed up attitude of a driver of the Aston his *** when I leave him in my rear view mirror eating my smoke and wondering how a "Lexus" just smoked him...

Anyway, back to some of the "Mods" I have seen on the forums lately...guys, come on...Keep em clean...Rep the Brand and the Model in style and taste...Stay away from fake Carbon Fiber wrap (In some places it looks good...but in small quantities, and tastefully done, and properly fitted with no wrinkles, bubbles or such...and not on the dash, for pete's sake), cheap ill fitting wheels and tires, crapped out body kits, and all the other stuff that has been noted and even "boasted" about on this forum...I am not trying to be snooty here, but the SC is really getting "Honda-ized" lately...
OK, enough bellyaching on my end here...Please, for the love of the SC...KEEP YOUR MODS CLEAN!

SC400TT
Old 09-10-11, 07:59 AM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I picked up my '99 I've actually been undoing previous "mods" to bring it back to stock. I agree with what you are saying. Keep it classy guys.
Old 09-10-11, 08:04 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your post goes very well with the statement on your sig and I dig that . I agree with everything you said BUT the owner has the right to do whatever they want to do with their car. I for one will keep maintenance on my car until I could afford to do mods right 1st time
Old 09-10-11, 08:14 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

it shouldnt matter what the next person does to his/her car. you dont have to drive it or be seen in it so just be happy with your own ride. everyone is different and has different taste in styles.
Old 09-10-11, 08:21 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT

So, now the price to enter is really getting cheap...But the cost to bring the car to stock OEM condition is high and most never consider that...
You can say that again. My water pump was so old and brittle after 20 years it was literally falling apart lol. so far I have spent a good chunk of change on replacing nearly everything. Looking up the sc part and using it as a reference for buying the cheaper supra part has saved me quite a bit though. At this point it seems this car will never get to be fast due to all the maintenance I have to do refreshing a 20 year old car.

I do however plan to rice the **** outta this car, now that I can let my inner ricer out. I had to hold back when I was a mustang guy lol
Old 09-10-11, 08:25 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice thread Ryan..I am glad am not the only one.
Old 09-10-11, 08:35 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I completely agree, my ultimate goal with my SC is to keep it clean and updated, keep it luxurious and keep it looking like a LEXUS. Sometimes I get offended about some of the threads I see from people turning these cars into rice buckets, all it does it lowers the value of the SC model.
Old 09-10-11, 08:36 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ lol

the way i see it is like this: these cars (older) are at the point of no return. You cant restore it unless you spend twice as much than buyng a new car. I think(op) you're getting carried away with these cars, there are much nicer cars out there to be obsessed over, not the 20+ year old cars that are falling appart. Plus older sc's are ugly in their stock form.

i want to do a home depot lip next!!!!
Old 09-10-11, 08:38 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do I have an odd feeling part of this is directed towards my cluster idea?

Either way, I have to agree about a select few of the threads that have come up and the mods that have been done. But I cant personally bash or rag on someone for their idea's and their personal pursuit of whatever it may be.
Old 09-10-11, 08:40 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not surprised by this. It has been going on for many years since I been on the forum. I myself have been guilty of this in the past. If fact, I'm sure most of us has gone through some mods we are not particularly proud of. But you live and you learn.

I also agree that no matter what other people do to their car is their own business and it does not affect how I treat my car. Others are quick to name the SC's the NEW 240sx and it bothers them so much that they go ahead trade in their SCs.

People will always do things that we disprove of. The question we should be asking is, if you really like the car for what it is or do you like the car because of the crowd of people who own it.
Old 09-10-11, 09:07 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 413 Likes on 341 Posts

I totally feel the same way. In the past couple years, I've noticed less and less cleanly modded SC's on the forums. Most of the young guys I see are either buying trashed out SC's or are putting questionable mods on the cars. It kind of makes me wish that the older SC's held their value kind of like the MKIV Supra did.

All we can do is keep our cars clean and classy.
Old 09-10-11, 09:25 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Well i refuse to do cheap mods so my car remains on disgusting wheels until i can afford some very high end ones, so i totally understand your viewpoint as well as the viewpoint of those that cheaply mod their SCs. It's expensive for us young'ns but at least we've developed a passion for the SC300/400 you know? Just keep in mind that one man's trash is another's treasure.
Old 09-10-11, 09:43 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only mods thats should be done to the SC: <IMO>

2JZ-GTE with 6speed box and LSD rear end
97+ body kit
Coilovers
Supra TT wheels(or nice tasteful rims no bigger than 19")
Fresh paint
OEM interior redone
LS or TT brake upgrade

Juz my 2 cents
Old 09-10-11, 10:18 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

amen to that sc400tt
Old 09-10-11, 10:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree with most of what was said. Although we have no control over what other people do with their cars, the only thing we can do is provide our opinion. After all, I am assuming people post pics of their cars and mods for constructive criticism and comments. But in general, Club Lexus SC forum is laughed at by many other forums because the hellaflush 215's stretched on a 11.5" wheel is getting out of hand here and is regarded as rice by many. I am not saying it's wrong or right, because you gotta do what makes you happy even if it's a knockoff kit or ebay lights.

Personally, the more people distastefully modify their SCs, the more people will appreciate the cleanly modded ones and make them stand out that much more. I could care less what people decide to do with their SC, ultimately the joke is on them. With regards to the Honda comment....just like Civics in general are not taken seriously, there is a great number of Civics that will whoop some *** and deserve respect. The same thing goes for our community and all other car communities. If people are cool with cheap, fake, ugly looking mods on their SC, than I say let them have it...those parts aren't going on my car.

Quick Reply: No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?