SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 10:41 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, I follow the same mindset, but I also agree with URK2LOSE.

It's really up to the owner of the car to what they want to do. Most the things people do, I wouldn't personally do it myself, but being on a budget guy, I can only do so much to get to my end goal.

For instance, mine is a 92, I've recently done 97+ kit, tails, cluster, climate control, and have been slowly working on getting the interior back to her former self. However, the thing is, my car is currently two tone (since the parts car was red, and mine was black) but I'm slowly getting there.

Unfortunately, the SC isn't my only car, so I have a few things I have to take care of my other car, and so long as the SC looks halfway decent (I've actually gotten compliments on the two tone lol), and most importantly stays reliable (with cold A/C), then I couldn't be happier.

I do agree though with most on this thread, about how the SC should be kept clean as a luxury car. So once my car gets painted, (five speed swap first) then I think I'll have my reached my goal.

Like many others on this board, I just wanted the 97 stuff, five speed 1uz, coilovers, and a nice set of wheels
Old 09-10-11, 10:41 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Money does not buy style or taste, so even a more exclusive car could still be moded to look worse than stock. I've seen lambo's with neons, it does not get any worse than that. It's all the car show craze that ruins things!!!
Old 09-10-11, 10:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have to agree with what has been said it almost seems like it gets worse every year.

On the upside though, all the tastelessly modded SC's that are showing up seem to make mine look that much better, and I didn't have to spend a dime
Old 09-10-11, 10:46 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's tons of different types of car people

Some people just like to build the car...tinker
Some enjoy cruises, car shows, meets, etc
Some are all about driving/racing

I'm not sure which you are, or what blend, but depending on what people are trying to do with their cars will greatly change how they mod it.
Even within categories the cars will look completely different. Drag Racing vs Drift = Give-Me-Grip vs Rip-Em-Off!!!
Old 09-10-11, 10:49 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Amen to SC400TT!!! My idol, my man!!! On the real, I'm not a modding kinda guy when it comes to engine performance, I'm just about to finish restoring my SC, and most parts that are essential are brought back to OEM unless aftermarket part have a notoriety in being waaaaay better than the OEM part. Wanna see my spreadsheet??? LOL

Guys, Ryan is not bashing any type of car guy, all he's saying is if you're gonna do something to your SC, do it with pride and decency. Just look at the OP's SC for Christ's sake, it was rebuild from round up, 95% of it's parts have been modded if not aftermarket, but that SC still represents what Lexus is all about, luxury and pleasure (with a little bit of expensiveness).

Last edited by OG Dada; 09-10-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-10-11, 10:55 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is funny. We are talking about re-badged toyotas with beefed up price tags, not GTR's or Ferrari's. Personally I like the stockish look, BUT its no different than mustang and civic owners who like body kits and whatever else is being complained about. WGAF what the owners wanna do with their cars.
Old 09-10-11, 11:04 AM
endodonist
Driver

lol my "mod" is stock outside, boost inside. haha
Old 09-10-11, 11:07 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Just because YOU dont like someone's wheels or body kit, or the fact they DIDNT do the usual 97+ front conversion... does not mean it isnt good for them or for us.

I cant tell you how many times people compliment my car because its not the usual junker.
So if everyone had nice cars they would not notice mine as much as they do

but yes, i dont agree or like most things other people do with their cars but thats ME. they dont like how i keep mine looking as it did off the showroom floor. but thats them.

like everything, its always been the owners' taste and preference and who are we to judge them.
Old 09-10-11, 11:13 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why are you guys mad? he didn't call no Name so please chill out my friend..
Old 09-10-11, 11:22 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow!!! I knew this thread would get some passionate responses, but in just a few hours, it has already grown to 2 pages!

I would first like to thank you all for keeping your posts clean and respectful please continue and this will be a productive thread, which is what it should be.

A couple of comments...first, my thread had nothing to do with the change in the dash. If I could mod my dash cluster with a SC430, I would, but I have not even looked into it. I did harp on the CF wrap on the dash though no disrespect was intended. I also harped on extreme HellaFlush set ups, and many body kits, but again, no disrespect was or is intended, just voicing my opinion. I agree, modding is in the taste of the individual...and agreed, there are a few modded Hondas that definitely deserve some respect too.

Look, the SC has gotten to the point that I hardly even see one on the road anymore in my area...I actually like that. Many people don't even know what model my car is...I like that too!

I disagree that modding is a waste on these cars...Do it right, and you will have a highly competent sports coupe that will wow yourself and others. To those that comment that they do not care what others think...I just flat out do not believe it. We all have egos...I believe ego should not be dissed, just balanced so that we realize we like to show off a bit, but we should realize that our things do not make us better than another...

Mod your car the way you want...but please keep it clean and tasteful, not riced out.

SC400TT
Old 09-10-11, 11:30 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^sc400tt, well said. I for one believe less is more so keeping it clean an classy is all i know
Old 09-10-11, 11:34 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said, I just remember the stitched up air bag, and using tape as "eyelids" etc etc.

Thus is why i'm trying to sell my car and move onto a newer platform.
Old 09-10-11, 11:40 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
This thread is funny. We are talking about re-badged toyotas with beefed up price tags, not GTR's or Ferrari's. Personally I like the stockish look, BUT its no different than mustang and civic owners who like body kits and whatever else is being complained about. WGAF what the owners wanna do with their cars.
I understand what you are saying...But I will put my modded SC up against any Ferrari or GTR...I have a feeling most of them would not be happy afterward...Whether on the straight track, or even on the Nurburgring.... Here is the point...Anybody with a little money and good credit can lease an expensive car...So what? Does that make their car better than our 10 to 20 year old SC's? I do not think so! I have owned and sold several high end cars, especially Porsche...I decided to mod my SC. I recently sold my Carrera 4S Cabriolet...it compares to Ferrari and the GTR...But my SC, I have built from the ground up...That is rare, exclusive and something to be proud of!!!

SC400 TT

BTW, Lexus is more than a re-badged Toyota with beefed up price tags...

SC400TT
Old 09-10-11, 11:48 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have to agree with what has been said it almost seems like it gets worse every year.

On the upside though, all the tastelessly modded SC's that are showing up seem to make mine look that much better, and I didn't have to spend a dime

Did you ever get the 1998-2000 VVT-i igniter bracket or are you still using the tastelessly modded VVT-i igniter on regular bracket?
Old 09-10-11, 12:15 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoL Ouch that one stung a bit

Quick Reply: No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?