SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 05:08 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i can add my 2 cents

i personally like the diversity of modification that people can do to these cars. i never bash anyone that puts money into their cars because i still find it very respectable that they want to make their car nicer.i know that some of them out there aren't everyones cup of tea, but its their money and they should have the freedom to spend it how ever they want. but everyone that mods their car should know it might not always be every ones cup of tea. the most important thing is that you like what your doing to your car.
regardless of anyones opinion besides your own.
Old 09-10-11, 05:38 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I understand what you are saying...But I will put my modded SC up against any Ferrari or GTR...I have a feeling most of them would not be happy afterward...Whether on the straight track, or even on the Nurburgring....

SC400TT

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
If you really belive that, you are no better than the hondaish stuff you are talking about here.
X2
Yes it can be made quicker/faster, but it's that mentality! Yes my car may be quicker than many but there are plenty that would destroy me for less $
Old 09-10-11, 05:42 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happens with every make of car; it just took longer with the SCs because they cost so much more when new. As cars get cheaper to purchase, the people that buy them get to be younger and younger and the mods start to get tasteless pretty quickly. They see them less as "nice cars in good condition" and more as "my first car that I got for $3k." $40k was one expensive car back in 1992. That year I joined Club DSM with my first showroom-new Eclipse GS, stickered at a whopping $17,500.

Today I can say I have an $800 SC. You can't even buy the shell of a Civic for that thanks to all the ricers that can't wait for their chance to be fast & furious. I bought a car with an ok exterior and trashed interior solely because it was a car for under a grand. Thanks to ebay I've put it back together to say 90%, and I might have a total of $2k into the car including tires. The difference between this and other cars I could purchase at the same price point is that the SC is more car; I have a decent vehicle that I want to drive and not an econobox with cardboard seats and 90 horsepower. The engineering shines through even today, even if some of it costs a little more to return to working status.

I have no delusions that this is a sports car. It's a luxury cruiser, not a quarter mile warrior or drift hero. It's true you can build it into any of that but there are better cars to start with if that's your only goal. I'm not going to put money into it needlessly either. I have <gasp> EBAY tails! The car had broken tails when I got it, and these aren't bad at half the price of used stock units. I rock stock LS430 wheels because I refuse to pay for unobtanium handcrafted wheels with stretched tires (stupidest trend ever) and a slammed suspension that rides like a brick, all so hopefully somebody will be jealous of how my car looks. One day they'll get changed but they'll stay 17 inch, and they'll be Enkei or another sanely-priced brand. My stock paint is a 20-footer, and it'll stay that way because it's not worth the cost of a repaint.

Mod the car to make it what you want, not what others want it to be. Just don't be surprised when some people still see it as an old coupe and not a baddass panty-droppin' G-ride, because you do actually drive a 10-20 year old car that's worth the same as a used Kia. As long as you're ok with that, you'll enjoy your SC and whatever mods you decide to put on it.
Old 09-10-11, 05:45 PM
EM Dot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
First of all the op nailed it here.

To those that say who cares its there car let them do what they want your wrong.

They arent making these cars anymore and the few that are left running being abused is just wrong.

That mentality is the same as the spoiled kid with nice toys smashing them on the ground and saying 'its my toy I can do what I want'.

Grow up.
what anyone does with their earned money is on them. If anything, all the butchered, hack-jobbed, wrecked SC's will only ADD to the value of the rest of us with clean ones.

Also, I want to add, those that bash hondas, check legit meets, not some crummy parking lot meet behind some Wal-Mart in the middle of east Bubble-fxkk. A lot of these guys are stepping up with clean setups. I myself own a 757whp Sport FWD civic hatch. my lexus is my daily/POS A-B car.
Old 09-10-11, 05:48 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree mostly with the OP.......i used to care what others have done, BUT not anymore its not getting any better it seems.... so ill just do what i like to my car and if i see a nice SC ill give credit where its due, unless its fugly and a disgrace to Lexus/Toyota and the owner (according to their "mods") thinks its the best car in the world....then i must full fill my duty as a Lexus/toyota enthusiast and call them out

Last edited by Joey-E; 09-10-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 06:13 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Im not trying to argue again man weve done enough of that but im curious, did something go wrong with your 5 speed swap??

You never complained about your car before hand and as soon as the swap was done u put it for sale and started bashing it big time, I mean if u hated your car so much why try to swap a 5 speed in???

Nothing is wrong with the 5spd swap. It just wasn't as fun as it use to be. Kind of a drag to shift gears now.

I wanted to do the 5spd for the experience and at that time i REALLY wanted a manual car. When have I bashed on my car? I don't hate my car its just that I want something more spacious and comfortable. Plus I always wanted a 2GS.

I do try to help out the newer people, but sometimes what they consider as "mods" is just In the end its what they like. If they post up what their mods are and stuff they are basically giving everyone permission to comment on it whether it is good or bad.
Old 09-10-11, 06:34 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
X2
Yes it can be made quicker/faster, but it's that mentality! Yes my car may be quicker than many but there are plenty that would destroy me for less $
Well, if we all agreed with you too, then all muscle cars would be Honda-ish as well...I do not agree...It is not the same mentality at all...But believe how you want...I will still enjoy my Twin Turbo V8 SC, and I will not feel one bit of guilt about modding it, or the amount of money and effort I put into making it faster than almost any stock car ever built.

I am not upset with your opinion, I just vehemently disagree...You just can't see my view...

One other thing...I have seen some awesomely modded Hondas...But the norm is riced out, the clean ones are much more rare...

SC400TT
Old 09-10-11, 06:36 PM
IanWatson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I mod my SC like with a kit ,5 speed , turbo, seats , the list can go on but the reason is it was already beat to begin with , to me its a 300 dollar car , and I tried replacing the factory kit , but either there is next to none out here that I can find at auto wreckers or People make prices for parts for these cars worth more then what its really worth , and I slide my car and I know I rather smack up a kit then damage the shrinking number of front bumpers and other parts that are out there that other people may need to keep their cars "OEM" , I am not gonna bash on "modded" or "OEM style" It's your car and you do what you want with it , just respect that people are taking the time to do what they like to these cars to keep them on the streets and not scrapped .

just what I have to say
Old 09-10-11, 07:56 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our car is really nothing special. I don't see why many people think our car is so up there.
Old 09-10-11, 08:21 PM
boosting
Driver

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Our car is really nothing special. I don't see why many people think our car is so up there.
true that. these things dont get second looks. lol

i posted a thread about how ugly mine was and my head was almost taken off for calling the 92 ugly! The mods even locked the thread! haha

hope i dont get banned for this comment.

Its just a car, i wouldnt hesitate to sell mine if the cash offer was right!
Old 09-10-11, 08:31 PM
MC3 Wheels
Former Sponsor

What is tasteful is a matter of opinion after all, I think the car looks nice with a few clean mods but that's why I bought one, to do what I think is nice the car. but a the end of the day a person can do whatever they want with their money and money sure as hell can't buy taste at least what I consider tasteful
Old 09-10-11, 08:39 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i agree with many opinions on here... but just an fyi, ANY mod is distasteful in accordance to resale. id rather buy one stock so who really cares what ppl do. what i mostly disagree with is the "rice" thing... im almost 30 now and not trying to sound all adult or anything but back in my day u can drive a lexus, honda, nissan whatever japanese car even with no mods and u were a ricer. look it up... japanese ppl, rice stereotype crap was always said by the jerks that drove muscle cars like mustangs, impala ss, corvettes, etc. we are dissing ourselves here. we have adapted the word to mean big wing equals rice when the word was invented to diss us.

all tbis was going on i was 15 and drove a crx with a b16, on a 5k turbo kit, mugen bodykit (about 2k), recaro seats, oz racing wheels, etc all to me tastefull mods and i was still called a ricer by these asses that had 5.0 mustangs that i used to rape after they were done talking crap. my friend at the time had a stock real soarer from japan which his mom and dad bought cash for like 45k and he was made fun of and called a ricer. man that word is annoying! we are all ricers.

i agree with the tasteful mods thing but have to disagree with the fact that it may change my mind on how i feel about my car... i can care less what u ppl do... diversity is key in the car game!

for sale threads/craigslist dont lie...
93 sc300 sell for $3k
93 honda civic sell for $3k

in other words we are no better... most ppl that bought there cars, like me, was because wen it first came out they couldnt afford it. others bought the car today because it was affordable... u see what im getting at...
Old 09-10-11, 08:44 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-10-11, 08:58 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

the white one with bags and ccws is off the hook! if thats is distasteful then i have horrible taste!!!
Old 09-10-11, 09:01 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmh
the white one with bags and ccws is off the hook! if thats is distasteful then i have horrible taste!!!
the body is beautiful. the rims are nice too BUT they look too small and look awkward with the car that low. it makes the car look like it should be sitting on bricks instead

edit: reminds me of this

Last edited by suislide; 09-10-11 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?