SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra vs. Aristo 2jzgte installation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 10:08 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra vs. Aristo 2jzgte installation...

I notice alot of people who swap the jdm Aristo 2jzgte into an sc have to modify a few things (the fan, oil pan, etc.) I'm currently shopping for a complete jdm supra 2jzgte w/ v160 or v161 and Im curious what I do and don't need to complete swap. I've searched and found awesome threads such as turbo819's build as well as spdfactory's but both used aristo engines I think due to cost. I seek the supra due to the fact that the tranny and engine can be had for 5200 to 5500 shipped! Buying separate would be at least 6500 shipped.

Can anyone help walk me through this process? If I go supra 2j, what will I need in order for it to be a complete swap? Will stock fuel pump be a problem? I currently have a 96 sc300 5 spd.
Old 03-04-11, 03:24 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- ECU & Igniter chip.
- The GTE wiring harness will need to be merged with your GE harness.
- Power Steering Reservoir
- Intake / Intercooler / Air Filter
- Undamaged Fan Blade

JDM Engines are a roll of the dice and you MUST remember this. After receiving the engine you must have a decision call on whether the following parts need replacement.

- Spark Plugs
- Engine Mounts
- Gaskets inc. Head-gasket
- Water Pump & Timing Belt

In order to complete the V160 portion you will need a Supra v160 driveshaft & differential. The US v160 differential is extremely expensive and requires an axel so some people get 98+ SC400 or GS400 differentials in their place. No matter what you get the driveshaft will need to be extended 5.5 inches if I recall correctly.
Old 03-04-11, 03:35 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i say 6spd is overrated and i dont like it. go aristo and r154. fuel pump go mk4 tt, you need rear sump. you need ur ge mounts and need to be modded for clearance for the gte, get new plugs, ngk bkr7eix, do mk4tt water pump (whole pump), u need intercooler your gonna geed mk3turbo front part of drive shaft for the r154, i suggest a beefy clutch, upgrade the radiator to alum and better cap, new thermostat, new vac lines, exhaust needs to be redone, r154 shifter handle extension or actual housing extension both do the same thing one is waste of time and money. timing belt is recommended, and i say go electric rad fan as well DONT FORGET 12V fuel pump mod.

and search iv covered this 1000 times.
Old 03-04-11, 03:38 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

By that logic why even go GTE. It is overrated as well. Save all the money you possibly can and go NA-T / r154.

*sarcasm*
Old 03-04-11, 03:48 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
By that logic why even go GTE. It is overrated as well. Save all the money you possibly can and go NA-T / r154.

*sarcasm*
hey, derp derp, with the same amount of money for that v160 2jzgte you can make a 2jzgte r154 combo way faster. casue with the v160 he still needs to do the harness and all the tings i listed on top of getting a diff and finding drive shaft and sourcing new tranny tunnel piece for the taller v160 shifter location, more cutting and welding and bolting. and i belive you need new axles with the tt diff. that just sounds stupid to me its gonna end up being 6-7k maybe more. i have spent like 5600 total and i have 2jzgte, single turbo, r154, stage 4 clutch, koyo, elec fan, and its all done. so you strut your cool self and you go get a v160 and 2jzgte and not be helpful. thanks guy! at that point ill do a 150mph flyby and make you feel like a tard for wasting all that money.
Old 03-04-11, 04:15 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

A V160 will fit up perfectly in his 96 SC300 5 spd. I'll admit it'll be more expensive but not $7,000.

In order to accomplish the r154 swap correctly one requires a TT auto differential. A TT 6spd differential is a third to a half more expensive but if one is already spending so much money why not go all the way? One could also save money by buying a GS400 differential which is approximately half the cost of a TT auto differential.

The difference in cost between a R154 and a V160 is a maximum of $3,000 which implies, as it should, that the price difference can be far less.
Old 03-04-11, 04:23 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
i say 6spd is overrated and i dont like it. go aristo and r154. fuel pump go mk4 tt, you need rear sump. you need ur ge mounts and need to be modded for clearance for the gte, get new plugs, ngk bkr7eix, do mk4tt water pump (whole pump), u need intercooler your gonna geed mk3turbo front part of drive shaft for the r154, i suggest a beefy clutch, upgrade the radiator to alum and better cap, new thermostat, new vac lines, exhaust needs to be redone, r154 shifter handle extension or actual housing extension both do the same thing one is waste of time and money. timing belt is recommended, and i say go electric rad fan as well DONT FORGET 12V fuel pump mod.

So has everyone else, thats why I asking about the supra. Which really hasn't been covered.
Old 03-04-11, 04:28 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

hey, derp derp, with the same amount of money for that v160 2jzgte you can make a 2jzgte r154 combo way faster. casue with the v160 he still needs to do the harness and all the tings i listed on top of getting a diff and finding drive shaft and sourcing new tranny tunnel piece for the taller v160 shifter location, more cutting and welding and bolting. and i belive you need new axles with the tt diff. that just sounds stupid to me its gonna end up being 6-7k maybe more. i have spent like 5600 total and i have 2jzgte, single turbo, r154, stage 4 clutch, koyo, elec fan, and its all done. so you strut your cool self and you go get a v160 and 2jzgte and not be helpful. thanks guy! at that point ill do a 150mph flyby and make you feel like a tard for wasting all that money.
Lol, 150...... Isn't that the top of 4th in a v160?
Old 03-04-11, 04:31 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by account2x
A V160 will fit up perfectly in his 96 SC300 5 spd. I'll admit it'll be more expensive but not $7,000.

In order to accomplish the r154 swap correctly one requires a TT auto differential. A TT 6spd differential is a third to a half more expensive but if one is already spending so much money why not go all the way? One could also save money by buying a GS400 differential which is approximately half the cost of a TT auto differential.

The difference in cost between a R154 and a V160 is a maximum of $3,000 which implies, as it should, that the price difference can be far less.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-04-11, 04:33 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

To bolt up a v160 you need the Supra TT crossmember. Some engines don't come with them.

Top of TT. Bottom is NA and what you currently have.
Old 03-04-11, 04:44 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

[/QUOTE]To bolt up a v160 you need the Supra TT crossmember. Some engines don't come with them.

Top of TT. Bottom is NA and what you currently have.[/QUOTE]

See, that's something I didn't know.....
Old 03-04-11, 04:59 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4thHorsemn
Lol, 150...... Isn't that the top of 4th in a v160?
dont think so...

Originally Posted by 4thHorsemn
Thanks for the info!
v160 wont fit without tranny tunnel mod.

r154 with the stock w58 gearing works wonders 3rd lasts forever! 45- 95 4th goes to like 150 ish and 5th is just.. wow.. but no one cares about top speed. while you go 2nd and 3rd almost to 4th you can just stay in 3rd with r154... so far it sounds like a noob fight in here.

i just read your post about needing 5.5 extra inches on the drive shaft, um thats alot!!!!! im pretty sure that is totally wrong. the r154 swap the mk3 front peice is a tad shorter. 5.5 inches??? why? the sc and the mk4 are basically the same undercarriage.

Last edited by Cleanshots; 03-04-11 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 05:09 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

R154 with stock w58 gearing is almost identical to w58 with stock w58 gearing and it will work great if you like revving 3K+ on the highway.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ar-ratios.html

A lower rear end will help drop your 5th gear rpm which will decrease your cruising rpm, increase top speed and actually help build boost faster in 1st gear.

Cleanshots If you want to talk about how much ____ costs or how much ____ spent then you are making fun of yourself for "wasting" money on a GTE swap.
Old 03-04-11, 05:17 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

R154 is overrated is hate seriously, you don't even know his goal and you just jump the gun.

I guess you are not making enough power to break your R transmission.

You don't need a new tunnel for V160 swap in the SC i don't know where you guys are getting that info from.

TT driveshaft will not work you need a 1 piece DS.

Single Disc clutch, big HP, and R154 don't go togheter.

R154 swap is not cheap maybe $1k cheaper than V160 so why waste my time and money on R154.

The Op knows about R154 and he had done enough research to make up his mind on the swap.

You don't no motor mount or brackets , your swap will most likely come with the shorter motor mount brackets and the longer mount it drops right in with no issues.

V160 will be the best part you ever bought for you ride, if you have the money do it don't listen to nahh sayer do it once and do it right V160 or go home.

I have snap performance contact info if you wanna order you DS.

You need 1 axle if you swap the 6speed diff.

Regardless of what tranny you go with the harness will still have to be done.

Even gte is over rated if you ask but....

Don't do R154 you might think it's cheap but it will cost you your engine if you don't use a twin Disc clutch while you are making some great power.
Old 03-04-11, 05:21 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe this will help

dont think so...

v160 wont fit without tranny tunnel mod.

r154 with the stock w58 gearing works wonders 3rd lasts forever! 45- 95 4th goes to like 150 ish and 5th is just.. wow.. but no one cares about top speed. while you go 2nd and 3rd almost to 4th you can just stay in 3rd with r154... so far it sounds like a noob fight in here.

i just read your post about needing 5.5 extra inches on the drive shaft, um thats alot!!!!! im pretty sure that is totally wrong. the r154 swap the mk3 front peice is a tad shorter. 5.5 inches??? why? the sc and the mk4 are basically the same undercarriage.
Attached Thumbnails Supra vs. Aristo 2jzgte installation...-v160rpmvsmph.jpg  

Quick Reply: Supra vs. Aristo 2jzgte installation...