SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Pinstripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-02, 11:57 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id have to say get rid of those. They are very unsightly. However even with pinstripes, the SC is still a nice car!!
Old 08-19-02, 11:55 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Angry damn pinstripes

Originally posted by Titan
Be glad it's only costing you 80 bucks (it should be free if you did it yourself). I have to live with the unfortunate reality that my pinstripes are painted on and then clear-coated, so as far as I know there is going to be no easy solution to get rid of them :-/

I got that same thing on mine. However, not only are they painted and clearcoated, but some smart guy who had the car before me put stickers on top of it still! So I was told by my lexus body shop, the best thing to do is peel the sticker off, and just paint over the damn pinstripes, cause sanding is no good for the car, dangerous too, and any other way would be pretty damn impossible to get them off. I'll let you know how it works out though...
Old 08-19-02, 01:33 PM
SC400onDubs
Rookie

I had pinstripes on my previous car (acura legend). You can do it yourself by going to Orchard Supply or some hardware store and pick a bottle of 3M adhesive remover. Follow the directions and start peeling off the pinstripes. It does make your paint dull, so you should consider giving it a wax soon. 3M adhesive remover is less than 5 bucks.
Old 08-19-02, 02:08 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fellas, it's so easy removing a painted on pinstripe, i was taught by JM Lexus on how they do it. They buy a bottle of Laquer Thinner at Home Depot, and dab some on a paper towel or cloth, and voila, the painted pinstripe comes right off...wth absolutely no harm to the paint. I know it works cuz I did it to my Pearl White GS.
Old 08-19-02, 03:14 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

I had my pinstripes removed when my car was sanded and detailed.. looks 100% better
Old 08-19-02, 03:31 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Silverbolt, removal of those pinstripes should be priority one! :eek: I've never seen pinstriping like that before. Usually it's just a thin double line running across the side. FutureGS, paper towels scratch paint! Use a terry cloth.
Old 08-19-02, 03:38 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd barely call those pinstipes- they are too wide. Maybe "stripes" is a better word for those. If you added another layer of paint, they'd double as ding-protectors!

Usually pinstripes are much higher up - towards the crease where the fender meets the hood.
Old 08-20-02, 07:00 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Originally posted by futuregs
fellas, it's so easy removing a painted on pinstripe, i was taught by JM Lexus on how they do it. They buy a bottle of Laquer Thinner at Home Depot, and dab some on a paper towel or cloth, and voila, the painted pinstripe comes right off...wth absolutely no harm to the paint. I know it works cuz I did it to my Pearl White GS.
I tried the paint laquer process today. It didn't work. The stripes weren't budging & it started to mess w/ the paintjob. So I decided it would be best to stop. Now I need to wax out the little spots where the laquer got on the paint. Bummer. Futuregs, maybe it worked better for you because you have a white car & perhaps your stripes were not quite as thick. O well, I think I'll be taking her to the body shop soon.
-Johnny
Old 08-20-02, 08:54 PM
C-Tang
Rookie

Default I just removed my gold Pinstripes

For Free

I did it at a gas station

It took like 20 min

First I peeled them off then used the cleanner out of the Window cleaner and a Towel to wipe off gue It looks better way better

I have a white SC with the gold package whics comes off soon
YEA
Old 08-20-02, 09:33 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Default DO's

Dealer Options again - all the little **** the dealer does after he gets the car on his lot - to raise profit margins - pinstripes (tacky), door guard strips, Diamond Plate paint "protectant" (worthless) - my SC is stripeless, thanks -
Old 02-10-06, 06:57 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by futuregs
Any one else tried this?
My gold pinstripes are fading and it looks uneven from front to back. It's so damn ugly.
Old 02-10-06, 07:04 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can rip it off and use "Goo Gone" to take off the glue residue thats leftover..

PS: this thread is 4 years old......
Old 02-10-06, 07:51 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by One HoT
You can rip it off and use "Goo Gone" to take off the glue residue thats leftover..

PS: this thread is 4 years old......
Well, mine's not stickers.. it's painted on.
Old 02-10-06, 09:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a method I got from LS.net. But be very careful with it, I damaged parts of my paint by letting it sit too long.

Easy Off. Yup! The oven cleaner. Spray a film of it on the painted pinstripe and rub off. Now, remember, this stuff is heat activated, so with no heat....it doesn't work. Too much heat, and it worlks a bit too well!!

I let my car sit in the sun for a bit to bring the paint temp up. Spray on, let sit maybe 3-5 minutes tops, then rub off. Wash with water immediately since water neutralizes the easy off.

Mt mistake is that I sprayed both doors at the same time and let it sit for 10-15 minutes in direct sunlight. Ended up taking the clearcoat off. So, in my effort to not have the car repainted......I know have to have the car repainted!!

If you do small spots and not let the easy off sit long you'll be fine.

Use the yellow bottle, the "non-fume" formula does not work. It is missing the active ingredient necessary which if I recall is lye.
Old 02-10-06, 09:45 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Pinstripes arent all that bad if tastefully done

Quick Reply: Pinstripes