Received 1,198 Likes on 830 Posts

^ Lookin good man!
The following users liked this post:
Ldepaso (03-30-23)
Old 04-05-23, 04:31 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

WELL FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I now have brakes that will stop my SC300. Yea for me. I have been collecting parts for several months. We installed LS460 calipers and drilled and slotted rotors with caliper adaptors ordered from Australia. On the rear I now have Supra TT calipers and drilled and slotted rotors. The braking is aided by stainless braided brake hoses.
Boy do they look good through my 5 spoke Nissan 18" wheels. My next project will be to have the rear wheels widened to 10 inches to mount the 275/35 X 18" tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bimmerbill:
Barbary (04-05-23), Noisy (04-05-23), RudysSC (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 04:43 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
WELL FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I now have brakes that will stop my SC300. Yea for me. I have been collecting parts for several months. We installed LS460 calipers and drilled and slotted rotors with caliper adaptors ordered from Australia. On the rear I now have Supra TT calipers and drilled and slotted rotors. The braking is aided by stainless braided brake hoses.
Boy do they look good through my 5 spoke Nissan 18" wheels. My next project will be to have the rear wheels widened to 10 inches to mount the 275/35 X 18" tires.
Pictures or it didn’t happen! Lol

Nick
RudysSC (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 07:47 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Nick,
We were limited in time because he had another customer coming in. Ended up cutting the rear backing plates and removing the front ones. I assembled the rear calipers and that is where i went wrong. My 84 year old brain took over and I forgot the shims on the pads and yes the rear brakes do squeal. I found the shims last night and will try and rectify that situation this weekend. Will try and get a couple pictures then and see if I am smart enough to post them on here. By the way what color did you paint your calipers?
Best of luck,
Bill
RudysSC (04-06-23)
Old 04-06-23, 10:14 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Bill - wonderful news! That's a big upgrade on an SC300 (I have the same fronts installed on my car with the factory rear calipers still). Hope you're enjoying getting to drive that bad boy a little bit!
Old 04-06-23, 01:36 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Rudy,
You just don't know how much. With what I have been through since my back surgery. I will never sell this car in my lifetime. I am always going to the bay window in the kitchen just to look at it and knowing it is all mine. Of course that $250 I paid for the car has grown substantially I sat down last night and made a list of things I want to do to it but nothing major other than a paint job with a little custom work.
Rudy, I am rambling so let me get off this computer. Best of luck.
Bill
Old 04-06-23, 07:19 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well ok, it was a few days ago, but after sitting since last summer I got my car back up and running. While it was parked I had sent my cluster to Tanin to get the burned out needles fixed and they did a great job. Now I can actually see what's happening at night! I stayed with the same red needles as stock. Also had them take a look at the ECU and had it reconditioned. The car was running fine before but with all the talk of capacitor failures and sending a package down anyway I thought I'd do both at once.

After re-install, the car fired right up. I mean instantly, old gas and all. I can't say it suddenly has a lot more power or anything because it wasn't bad before, and maybe it's my imagination but it does seem like the bit of off-line hesitation I used to have once in awhile is gone now. One thing I mentioned was that my clock wasn't working, Tanin agreed to put another used on in. Unfortunately, probably because of its age, the replacement wasn't keeping time either so they send back the money for the clock repair.

Good to have my car back on the road, and happy with the repairs!
The following 3 users liked this post by Photon440:
Barbary (04-06-23), Bimmerbill (04-06-23), RudysSC (04-07-23)
Old 04-07-23, 09:35 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Rudy,
You just don't know how much. With what I have been through since my back surgery. I will never sell this car in my lifetime. I am always going to the bay window in the kitchen just to look at it and knowing it is all mine. Of course that $250 I paid for the car has grown substantially I sat down last night and made a list of things I want to do to it but nothing major other than a paint job with a little custom work.
Rudy, I am rambling so let me get off this computer. Best of luck.
Bill
Bill - it makes me so happy that you enjoy your car so much. Sometimes I find myself popping my head in the garage just to look at mine - so I know the feeling all too well! I'm glad you're doing better after your back surgery and hopefully you can spend some time behind the wheel of that bad boy and enjoy your life a little bit!

You're never rambling - we love your posts! Have a great weekend Bill!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (04-07-23), Bimmerbill (04-07-23)
Old 04-08-23, 05:37 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Nick,
We were limited in time because he had another customer coming in. Ended up cutting the rear backing plates and removing the front ones. I assembled the rear calipers and that is where i went wrong. My 84 year old brain took over and I forgot the shims on the pads and yes the rear brakes do squeal. I found the shims last night and will try and rectify that situation this weekend. Will try and get a couple pictures then and see if I am smart enough to post them on here. By the way what color did you paint your calipers?
Best of luck,
Bill
It’s happened to us all. Bill, I didn’t know you were 84. You’re my idol! To be doing anything at all challenging at 84 is cause for admiration and respect! I don’t mean to be patronizing, hope this is received the way it’s intended!

As for color, well I’m still deciding. I haven’t installed it yet. I decided to strip the calipers and sand them smooth first, hoping to pull off that smooth “Brembo” look. House projects put the calipers on hold for a bit. I’m debating between a copper color (to mimic the RCF and GSF copper of today) good old red, and black. I’ve also toyed with the idea of going grey. My car, being Royal Sapphire Pearl, I feel makes it tricky to pick the perfect color. If my car were black or white, or red even, I think it’d be easy. I’m struggling to settle on something.

Nick
RudysSC (04-10-23)
Old 04-08-23, 06:51 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Good morning Nick,
No offense taken and we will be friends for a long time - I hope, if I can just live that long. I was finally able to cut my back yard yesterday and put out some Solar lights and do they look good.
So much for the landscaping, lets get back to our favorite subject and that would be SC's. I had mentioned the squeal I have on the back brakes and later finding the shims that came from the dealer (04946-14031) pads are OEM also. I am very confused about the shims which I had wanted to install this weekend. I opened the package and I have TWO sets of shims, one silver and another black. My parts buddy at Lexus/Toyota could not tell me how to use them. Now wanting to do this just one time only those wheels and tires are heavy. Do I use ONE set and if so which color or do I use both sets and which order? Time to read more.
Nick, my car is dark green and I have finally decided to paint them brownish gold. I wish I could have made the decision on what color before we installed them. One good thing is if I don't like them there are always other colors waiting on me at the parts store.
As always have a good weekend and good luck to you and your family,
Bill
RudysSC (04-10-23)
Old 04-08-23, 11:51 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 244 Posts

May I suggest Royal Sapphire Pearl (8L5)?

The following 3 users liked this post by Duck05:
Bimmerbill (04-08-23), RudysSC (04-10-23), SCJim (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 04:02 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

A beautiful setup, looks great Duck.
Bill
Old 04-08-23, 04:52 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Good morning Nick,
No offense taken and we will be friends for a long time - I hope, if I can just live that long. I was finally able to cut my back yard yesterday and put out some Solar lights and do they look good.
So much for the landscaping, lets get back to our favorite subject and that would be SC's. I had mentioned the squeal I have on the back brakes and later finding the shims that came from the dealer (04946-14031) pads are OEM also. I am very confused about the shims which I had wanted to install this weekend. I opened the package and I have TWO sets of shims, one silver and another black. My parts buddy at Lexus/Toyota could not tell me how to use them. Now wanting to do this just one time only those wheels and tires are heavy. Do I use ONE set and if so which color or do I use both sets and which order? Time to read more.
Nick, my car is dark green and I have finally decided to paint them brownish gold. I wish I could have made the decision on what color before we installed them. One good thing is if I don't like them there are always other colors waiting on me at the parts store.
As always have a good weekend and good luck to you and your family,
Bill
Need a pic of the shims & I can tell you the order. There are 2 shims stacked on top of each other per pad.
Old 04-09-23, 05:19 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Duck05
May I suggest Royal Sapphire Pearl (8L5)?

Is your car RSP? I have never been a fan of color matching wheels or brakes to the paint. Just a personal preference. I like contrast in those parts.

In my case, I have silver wheels with my RSP paint and so the calipers need to provide contrast to both of those colors (in my view anyway) to then stand out and look good. Red accomplishes this, but I’m not sold with how it looks with the blue. Yellow would be kinda cool, but maybe a bit too bright. I’m just so torn.

Nick
Old 04-09-23, 09:14 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 244 Posts

No…. Silver Spruce Metallic…. 6M3. (But, a respray in 2013 slightly darker).

You might consider a shade of green. I have seen some lime greens that provide interesting contrast to a blue car or go darker with a British racing / Sherwood Forest shade….

Last edited by Duck05; 04-09-23 at 09:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Duck05:
Barbary (04-15-23), KiroLS (04-24-23)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?