SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 07:25 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Kira
I can personally attest to the quality of the Super bright led's. I tried the cheap ones first and then switched to Super Bright and they have been in my SC and the wife's SUV for over two years and I would dare to say they are just as bright as they were when I installed them.
Bill
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (02-23-23)
Old 02-05-23, 08:22 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Nice. I haven’t used them before. I did a full VLED build for the interior and used their bulbs for the brake lights. Everything else was Philips Ultinon bulbs. I especially liked the Philips bulb for the front turn signal, since it uses an amber lens, which looks more OEM. However, it’s not very bright. I’ve been trying to find a higher output replacement with the amber lens but have come up empty.

On the docket is replacing the small 194 bulbs in the tail lights so they have a better spread and perfect color match to the brake bulbs. Eventually, I’d like to also replace all the LEDs in the spoiler, cause they almost look pink compared to the super deep red of the brake lights, now.

Nick
Bimmerbill (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 11:07 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Nick,
I do not think you would be disappointed. My amber light you speak of is LED and came from the same people. When i ordered them the girl had a hard time finding them in her catalog but called me back with the price. All OK.
Bill
Old 02-05-23, 02:55 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Nick,
I do not think you would be disappointed. My amber light you speak of is LED and came from the same people. When i ordered them the girl had a hard time finding them in her catalog but called me back with the price. All OK.
Bill
Hey Bill! I’m sure you’re correct! The performance of the VLED products is outstanding. The reason I feel stuck with the Philips is because of the amber lens. It makes it look like an incandescent bulb and gives off that natural amber color, even when off, which I really like. I don’t like clear turn signals and without the lens, that’s basically what it would look like. So, until I find an alternative, this is where I’m at.

I did see a Morimoto product today on theretrofitsource.com which did use a lens on the 1157 bulb, but it’s a clear lens with an amber LED. Perhaps I’d try that and color the lens amber myself? I’m toying with the idea.

Nick
Bimmerbill (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 04:52 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Nick
Please let us know, I love being a little different on my SC
Bill
Old 02-18-23, 11:58 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

I finally decided to put some Shin Etsu grease on my weather stripping to see if it will help with the creaking since I've heard it mentioned a few times in other threads. Holy crap this stuff works. I put a rather heavy coat on and left it alone for a day with the doors closed. Then opened them up and wiped out the excess. Drove the car today and about 80% of all my creaking noise is gone and I haven't even done everything yet, just the doors and sunroof. Only thing I hear now is something in the dash that I have no interest in chasing down at the moment and the sway bar bushings on the front. If you haven't done it yet, go do it. $20 on amazon for a fairly large tube that should be enough for multiple applications.
The following 3 users liked this post by - V -:
Bimmerbill (02-18-23), RudysSC (02-21-23), SCJim (02-18-23)
Old 02-18-23, 06:53 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by - V -
I finally decided to put some Shin Etsu grease on my weather stripping to see if it will help with the creaking since I've heard it mentioned a few times in other threads. Holy crap this stuff works. I put a rather heavy coat on and left it alone for a day with the doors closed. Then opened them up and wiped out the excess. Drove the car today and about 80% of all my creaking noise is gone and I haven't even done everything yet, just the doors and sunroof. Only thing I hear now is something in the dash that I have no interest in chasing down at the moment and the sway bar bushings on the front. If you haven't done it yet, go do it. $20 on amazon for a fairly large tube that should be enough for multiple applications.
Wow, I’m super intrigued! My car creaks over undulations a bit and I’d love for them to go away! I tried a popular product from Europe called Gummi Pflege on the seals on the doors and it seemed to work well in that the seals darkened nicely and appeared more supple and kind of conditioned now. But, this product you’ve used has been touted as a miracle and you seem to be a believer now lol — I think I’m gonna try it! Thanks for sharing!

Nick
Old 02-19-23, 07:58 AM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Wow, I’m super intrigued! My car creaks over undulations a bit and I’d love for them to go away! I tried a popular product from Europe called Gummi Pflege on the seals on the doors and it seemed to work well in that the seals darkened nicely and appeared more supple and kind of conditioned now. But, this product you’ve used has been touted as a miracle and you seem to be a believer now lol — I think I’m gonna try it! Thanks for sharing!

Nick
yeah this stuff is like magic. I could feel the seals becoming more supple as i was putting it on. I'm sure its going to be an ongoing thing so I guess we'll see how long it lasts before i need to reapply
Old 02-19-23, 04:03 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 488 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Squeaks

I have no rattles or squeaks in the car. Been using ArmorAll on it and in it for around 20 yrs, so maybe it's just that I have never let anything dry out or crack. I've always been amazed about that rattle thing. Have driven the car in downtown SF for yrs. Rotten roads like all big cities. Have always thought to myself, man they built this car solid. I've always been amazed and grateful.

Have picked up wind noise along the years primarily having replaced my windshield, which looks like I'm going to have to do again real soon, (cracks)
And coilovers has put different stresses in different places around the body

Last edited by Barbary; 02-19-23 at 04:08 PM.
Kira X (02-23-23)
Old 02-20-23, 11:23 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Barbary
I have no rattles or squeaks in the car. Been using ArmorAll on it and in it for around 20 yrs, so maybe it's just that I have never let anything dry out or crack. I've always been amazed about that rattle thing. Have driven the car in downtown SF for yrs. Rotten roads like all big cities. Have always thought to myself, man they built this car solid. I've always been amazed and grateful.

Have picked up wind noise along the years primarily having replaced my windshield, which looks like I'm going to have to do again real soon, (cracks)
And coilovers has put different stresses in different places around the body
I agree that they’re built like tanks! I can’t help but wonder if the noises I do hear are from my coilovers which have a solid shock mount. I am regretting buying them to a degree. I’d like to switch to KW, but not now. Too much going on.

Nick
Old 02-20-23, 04:17 PM
- V -
Instructor

I agree that they’re built like tanks! I can’t help but wonder if the noises I do hear are from my coilovers which have a solid shock mount. I am regretting buying them to a degree. I’d like to switch to KW, but not now. Too much going on.

Nick
These things are definitely built strong. I've driven a bunch of different cars and have yet to drive something as old as these cars without feeling like the interior is coming apart.
The hardmounts were the reason I decided to get the KWs and as far as vibrations and noise is concerned they are about as good as you'll get without going full OEM but one thing regarding the KWs. The stock spring rates were too stiff for my taste. I ended up spending a little more and getting 10k front 7k rear swift springs that improved the ride quality significantly but even those feel like the are a little to stiff for these cars on normal roads. I plan to try out a softer spring rate at some point in time when I have extra $300 laying around.
Old 02-20-23, 04:45 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

These things are definitely built strong. I've driven a bunch of different cars and have yet to drive something as old as these cars without feeling like the interior is coming apart.
The hardmounts were the reason I decided to get the KWs and as far as vibrations and noise is concerned they are about as good as you'll get without going full OEM but one thing regarding the KWs. The stock spring rates were too stiff for my taste. I ended up spending a little more and getting 10k front 7k rear swift springs that improved the ride quality significantly but even those feel like the are a little to stiff for these cars on normal roads. I plan to try out a softer spring rate at some point in time when I have extra $300 laying around.
Thats great feedback! I’m on 12k front and 8k rear and feel like it’s close to perfect. Are you on 19s or 18s?

Nick
Old 02-20-23, 04:58 PM
- V -
Instructor

Thats great feedback! I’m on 12k front and 8k rear and feel like it’s close to perfect. Are you on 19s or 18s?

Nick
I'm on 18s with 245/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear. KWs are 12k/9k and I bumped them down to 10k/7k. Its much more of a cruiser now but still a little rough on long hauls
Old 02-20-23, 07:52 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

I'm on 18s with 245/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear. KWs are 12k/9k and I bumped them down to 10k/7k. Its much more of a cruiser now but still a little rough on long hauls
My springs are also Swift. I’m kind of surprised you say it’s uncomfortable with those rates. It’s a subjective thing for sure, but on the highway it’s very smooth and very comfy. The stock spring rates are of course for a Supra. Perhaps you’re better off with the same ratio between front and rear as most SC specific coilovers? 4kg softer in the rear. So instead of 10k/7k, you can try 10k/6k? Will make it cheaper on you and might “fix” the issue all together? The weight distribution and wheelbase are different, so perhaps there’s something there.

Nick
Old 02-24-23, 10:51 AM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Its been 2 weeks since I shifted. SMOG day hope for a PASS
The following 3 users liked this post by 962jzsc415:
Bimmerbill (02-24-23), CLass of 1 (02-24-23), RudysSC (02-24-23)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?