SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

windows wont go down when the doors open?

Old 10-13-10, 03:18 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question windows wont go down when the doors open?

1996 sc300.. Whenever I open the driver side door it will not let me roll up or down the windows the door has to be closed to operate the windows from the driver side but on the passanger side I can open/close the passanger window whenever I want. on top of the the driver side door speakers wont work? I took apart the door panel to make sure they were hookd up and they were on top of that i removed the stereo to make sure the wire was connected and it was.. Im not sure if there is a short or a fuse went bad or what?

So yea drivers side window switch will not work all the time and when it does it will only work when the door is closed? and the driver side door speakers(4inch n tweeter) wont work(no sound) any suggestions?

I dont want to rewire the whole driver side door but if i must then i will

Old 10-13-10, 06:36 PM
ToySlider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the door harness in the door jamb for broken wires. Mine does the same thing and I have broken wires in my harness.

With the door shut the wires get connection and everything operates properly and when you open the door they lose connection.
Old 10-14-10, 01:43 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Is the break in the connection in the door harness itself? like when the door closes there is electricity flowing but when its open the line is broken and there no electrical
Old 10-14-10, 01:55 PM
fleecer
Driver

i have a similar problem with windows that work when they want. it may also be a window switch.
Old 10-18-10, 11:16 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

no its def not the switch ive tried 3 different switchs but i has to be the wiring because the side mirrors still work and the passanger window goes down but only from the passanger side switch
Old 10-18-10, 11:27 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToySlider
Check the door harness in the door jamb for broken wires. Mine does the same thing and I have broken wires in my harness.

With the door shut the wires get connection and everything operates properly and when you open the door they lose connection.
My Lex Tech told me the exact same thing, he said that it is not a rare thing to happen and he has fixed that several time on other SC's so my suggestion to op os check the wiring
Old 10-18-10, 09:02 PM
ToySlider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devor
Is the break in the connection in the door harness itself? like when the door closes there is electricity flowing but when its open the line is broken and there no electrical
Yup exactly! In the harness itself, between the body of the car and were it goes into the actual door.

Usually happens in the drivers door more often since that is the one that gets used the most.
Old 10-19-10, 12:01 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

OK as soon as this rain cuts out here in LA ill take the door panel apart and test the connections. I think I can use my power tester I got with my stereo assembly set which I hope will tell me if there is power to all the wires. Wish me luck! If it's a break in the connection can I just use electrical tape to re-tap the connection?
Old 10-19-10, 03:31 PM
fleecer
Driver

good luck... please post your results.
Old 10-21-10, 03:50 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

So i took the switch out yesterday and tested all the pins. It seems all of the wires have power except the BLACK/WHITE wire when the door is open. Is the Black and white wire the power? I'm guessing it is? I have to undo all the wires and track down where the break in connection is my guess is it's where the wiring goes from the door to the car itself????
Old 10-22-10, 01:38 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

You can test that by getting and extra wire and connecting it from the switch to the connector near the fuse box. If it works then its a break in between those two if it doesnt then its between the fuse box to the passenger side.
Old 10-23-10, 12:44 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Ill search around for a extra wire to try it. But im just not sure which wire is for the windows on the driver side. The side mirrors work and so does the lock button, but for some reason the window switch will not work? I just took the door apart and everything is taped together leading from the door into the car where the fuse box is underneath the steering colum..
Old 10-23-10, 12:47 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's in the harness between the door and the body...broken wire...easy fix, 10 minutes tops.
Old 10-23-10, 12:54 PM
alpine46
Driver

gspec beat me to it. I paid $80 for a shop to fix the broken wires when I could've done it myself. The shop owner told me lexus sells A replacement harness for around $200
Old 10-23-10, 01:00 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Damn 10mins lol Ive been working on this for an hour lol Everything is taped together (all the wires leading from the door to the car) should I just remove all the tape off and check for a broken line? what color wire is the power to the windows? red, black/white?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: windows wont go down when the doors open?