SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Odd noise from passenger side engine bay...wth...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 09:27 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Odd noise from passenger side engine bay...wth...

Hey guys. Did a little searching on this already and didn't seem to find the right stuff or "symptoms" that I'm having with my SC. This has been going on since I bought my car a couple months back. When I slightly push the gas and/or slightly turn the wheels a weird sound comes from the passenger side engine bay area . Its sounds almost exactly like a metal fan slightly hitting a metal radiator. Its not REALLY noticeable from inside but I can definitely hear it when i turn off my music. Rolled the window down and purposely made the car do it and its nice and loud outside (makes my car sound like a rattly pile of junk). Doesn't constantly make noise and doesn't seem like its changing anything about the mechanical part of the car. Rides normal, accelerates normal and the steering is still very smooth. I have no idea what it is. I looked around under the hood and didn't find anything out of the ordinary and the power steering fluid is fine. What in the heck could it be? Thanks for any help guys
Old 09-28-10, 09:47 PM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn eitherway? If its a whine try topping the PS fluid off even though you said its find, keep in mind you are trouble shooting.
Old 09-28-10, 09:53 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
me and a few others have been having a similar problem but the noise we are talking about seems to be coming from directly under the car.

But the sound seems to be similar----we speak of the sound as sounding like a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel.

We think it is the centre driveshaft bearing...but not sure yet.

See if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from exactly.

And yes ----with all of our cars----the performance seems to be unaffected.
Ahh, never thought about a bearing. Very well could be the problem. I'm going to do more trouble shooting tomorrow. Probly give my dad a ride and see what he thinks, hes a certified mechanic and knows A LOT about Toyota so we should be able to find out tomorrow. Id be fine with it if it wasn't so annoying sounding like some pile of crap Grand am driving by or something.

Originally Posted by 0435
Turn eitherway? If its a whine try topping the PS fluid off even though you said its find, keep in mind you are trouble shooting.
Its not like a whine noise, and yeah if I turn either way does it. Sometimes loud sometimes quiet, long and short periods. Yeah I checked my power steering fluid its topped off. and its newer fluid too because i just put in new fluid last month.
Old 09-28-10, 10:12 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Anyone else have experience with this noise or whats causing it feel free to post
Old 12-06-12, 11:47 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring up this old post, I have some issue, so did you find out what were causing this sound???
Old 12-07-12, 08:22 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Sometimes I hear a slight knocking because i have a valve cover gasket oil leak. I'm putting off fixing it til i do my timing belt/water pump. So yeah my car gradually loses oil and sometimes i'll go too long without adding oil and it has a slight knock when it starts to get low. So check your dipstick it could be a possibility. My knock always went in sync with my RPMs though. Just an idea to throw out for you. Hope you figure it out asap.
Old 12-13-12, 07:49 AM
JS93SC
Driver School Candidate

Well if it sounds like its coming from the passenger side under the car it might be your crank shaft pulley?!
Old 01-03-13, 06:18 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JS93SC
Well if it sounds like its coming from the passenger side under the car it might be your crank shaft pulley?!
No, crankshaft pulley sounds more like a metal screech upon starting the engine.
Old 01-03-13, 06:48 PM
daily400
Pole Position

it can be that a real tune up is needed.. such as a valve adjustment. its hard to do diag on a sound no offense but a noise to you may sound like one thing and to someone else it sounds diff.. it can b a million things try to get a vid of the noise and post it..
Old 06-26-16, 01:30 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello to all..
"sound like baseball card in bicycle spokes while car is in 'drive'".. I have been experiencing the same sound.. I know this thread is dated. Has anyone discovered where this sound is coming from or a solution?

Thanks..