SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Loud Sub distortion when trunk is closed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 05:45 PM
RyanR317
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Sub distortion when trunk is closed

This past weekend, installed a sub and amp into my SC300. I used speaker level inputs taken from the stock sub. When the radio is turned all the way down, or is between switching stations, the sub begins to vibrate heavily, but only when the trunk is closed or close to being closed. It is grounded on a bolt i found close to the driver's side tail light, but is not one of the bolts/nuts used to hold in the light.

I checked to see if any wires were touching when the trunk was being closed down and everything is clear. What could be the cause of this? It only happens when the volume is silent.
Old 09-28-10, 05:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

(1) this should be in the audio section.

(2) You are having ground loops and should re-ground the system properly, which is "not on a random bolt".
Old 09-28-10, 07:24 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

+1^^^,
But also check the line converter if it has gain adjustments on it, try turning them down and also if theres a ground wire attached to the converter try removing the ground it if it is grounded, and vise versa.., but does sound like ground feedback, pics would do wonders to help the diagnose
Old 09-28-10, 07:58 PM
RyanR317
Rookie

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
(1) this should be in the audio section.

(2) You are having ground loops and should re-ground the system properly, which is "not on a random bolt".
It has been in the audio section for a couple of days with no reponse, so i tried it here. So should the other thread posted by someone else recently about a humming noise from the speakers.

Which non-random bolt would you suggest?

Originally Posted by Papajorgio
+1^^^,
But also check the line converter if it has gain adjustments on it, try turning them down and also if theres a ground wire attached to the converter try removing the ground it if it is grounded, and vise versa.., but does sound like ground feedback, pics would do wonders to help the diagnose
The converter does have a ground and i've tired it in several other places. I will try to ground the amp somewhere else. The amp as speaker level inputs and only has a switch to adjust the gain which i've tried already.

Last edited by RyanR317; 09-28-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 04:39 PM
snoofus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RyanR317
It has been in the audio section for a couple of days with no reponse, so i tried it here. So should the other thread posted by someone else recently about a humming noise from the speakers.

Which non-random bolt would you suggest?
Hi Ryan,

I recently installed an amp in the trunk of a 1992 SC400. I grounded it to one of the three large bolts around the shock absorber mount. This seems to have worked fine for me anyway.
Old 09-30-10, 02:28 PM
RyanR317
Rookie

Originally Posted by snoofus
Hi Ryan,

I recently installed an amp in the trunk of a 1992 SC400. I grounded it to one of the three large bolts around the shock absorber mount. This seems to have worked fine for me anyway.
Thanks! I will give it a try.