SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 06:58 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Lights

I had one of my right tail lights out so i went about changing the bulb. everything else was working fine. put in the correct bulb but it didnt work. now it seems just one of the tail lights are working. arent there two per side that light up? the entire left side is now out and thats the side that was working fine.

changed the fuse even though it looked good but still nothing. the blinkers work as do the brake lights. i pulled the bulbs on each side to test if working and they are all good.

i have a '98 sc300.

Last edited by magneti; 06-02-10 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you saying only one side of the tails work (like just pass or driver side), or are you saying both sides work, but on one side 2 lights light up and on the other side only 1 lights up?

Jonny
Old 06-02-10, 10:42 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Are you saying only one side of the tails work (like just pass or driver side), or are you saying both sides work, but on one side 2 lights light up and on the other side only 1 lights up?

Jonny
yeah i was trying to be less confusing on the edit but wasnt successful.

I think two lights per side should light up but am unsure.

I got one light working out of 4 if so. the bulb i replaced was the inner right and was clearly burnt thats still not working. now the other side is not working at all it seems.

Last edited by magneti; 06-02-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 11:28 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I ran into a problem like this a long time ago on the infamous Daizenlex car. Never worked it out so had to splice a power wire into the headlights Get a multimeter and check the tails are getting power. Blk/orange wire I think...

Jonny
Old 06-02-10, 01:03 PM
magneti
Pole Position

is it 2 lights per tail light that should come on? if so, which.
Old 06-02-10, 01:16 PM
MrBrock
Driver

I'm not sure on the newer style, but on my '92, there are 3 1156 bulbs on the top for the turn signal. Bottom there are 3 bulbs. outside it an 1156 for brake light only. middle is an 1156 for reverse light. inside is an 1157 for running light & brake.
Old 06-02-10, 01:42 PM
magneti
Pole Position

thanks. maybe i just burned one out on the other side and its not complete failure of the side. still got some issues either way though. ill check it out this evening when i get a chance. i couldnt really tell due to the bright *** sun this morning if indeed that right side was working before i left for work.

next up will be the fan clutch and blade. running a tad hot during city driving and the fan is barely pulling any air. I can stop the blade with one finger.

ill just turn this into my what is wrong with my sc today thread.

it only has a mere 208k on the clock.
Old 06-02-10, 01:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneti
is it 2 lights per tail light that should come on? if so, which.
I'll check when I get home and text you fool

Jonny
Old 06-02-10, 03:07 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
thanks pal.

i changed the fog that was out and a bulb in the headlight so the front is good to go.

also found a split wire in the door harness that i was hoping would fix my power windows but that didnt work. though once i spliced em back together i did get my dome-door light working.

regarding the overheating, I changed the thermostat and the radiator hoses but didnt help. flushed the radiator a couple or 3 times and it was crystal clear/refilled with that red stuff toyota is so damned proud of. the radiator looks new and the water pump is not leaking.

then changed the oil while i was at it. hadnt burned any though.

went to change front brakes but realized i have wheel locks and no lug key with the car. will go to lexus dealer this weekend (again) so i can change them. if its not a stock key ill just try to bust em off with an oversized socket i suppose.

also got my newly ordered key/keyfob cut and programmed (key that came with it was broken all to hell). luckily alarm, locks and trunk work fine with new keyfob. i was sure it wasnt going to work but hey ill take it.

also heater control valve intermittently leaks which reminds me i need to get that one from aliga for 50 bucks.

anything else i can think of? hmmm. not yet. besides needing a spare tire, new wheels and a paint job.

i just realized I drove all the way back from texas with no jack or spare but I had no lug key so it didnt matter.

although i had to get the car i suppose. it is a '98, runs great and the interior is pretty flawless compared to most i looked at... plus all the gauges worked.

I guess i should just be glad it got me home.

those white marks came off pretty easy with some mr clean magic erasers.

Last edited by magneti; 06-02-10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:41 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
got it.

seems there were more bulbs out than i thought and the ones on the left side had a short in one of the bulb housings causing the others to fail. soldered the shorted connection and replaced many bulbs on both sides and all is well. finally no warning lamp for any lights being out. it was driving me nuts.

next up, wheel lock removal, fan clutch, brakes and the no power windows nightmare.

if only work would pay me to work on my car all day i could catch up.