SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What made you choose the Sc300/400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 08:23 AM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reliable 1UZ-FE, comfort, timeless design, and its Lexus...
Old 05-22-10, 08:47 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
Mine was a BPUed 6 speed for $20k. Just gotta look! But some people on CL have definitely spent way over 25k on their SCs- not really comparing value, just price. I guess my point is while cost of entry of an SC is low they're definitely not cheap!
You said it, I wish I had all the cash I have blown on my SC!
Old 05-22-10, 09:27 AM
thatWESguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phamln
This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUAjjoB7b8

lol, but seriously...The car is amazing for its price. I wanted a RWD 5 speed car that looked nice and was cheap. The SC fit everything. Not to mention it has the almighty 2jz in it, well a weaksauce version but still. It can easily be swapped which i plan to do =] Also this car looks newer and is smoother than some 2000+ cars and mine is from 1993. Annnnd it's a Lexus
+1, lol, I picked mine up for the same reason; took me over a year to find, but I'm glad I finally got it
Old 05-22-10, 10:16 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

I've wanted one since they came out, actually I've wanted a mkIV Supra and had a chance back in 99 to buy a white TT and let it go and thats been haunting me ever since. Now that the prices on used Supras are out of control I had to settle for its cousin.

I got lucky and found a neglected one that had a super solid body, and in Mi thats very hard to find. I'm supposed to get it out of the paint booth next week

I'm planning on doing a 1j/2jz (not sure just yet) swap as soon as the funds are built and I find someone that can do it.
Old 05-23-10, 11:38 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

I was considering either a civic, a camry, or an es300. I liked the es the most but wen I went to the dealership it was alredy sold! The salesman pointed me towards an sc300 they had and I fell in luv lol but yea basically wat everyone else said because of engine longevity, gas efficiency(compared to the v8 sc400 lol) the sexy look, and cuz it's a Lexus!
Old 05-25-10, 12:30 AM
Pipe
Pole Position

I love all these guys that buy scs "because they couldn't afford a supra" and then end up putting as much money into them as they would have just buying a supra lol
Be honest and say if you own a Supra that won't throw a wad of cash on it either , being car fanatics it's hard to look at your car and say hmmm "I think il leave everything as it is" I know I can't do that it's an addiction (Good one) how many times do we sit in our cars driving with a Big smile on our faces knowing you just bought something cool or a mod on our cars , the money means nothing to you then.
Old 05-25-10, 07:36 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipe
Be honest and say if you own a Supra that won't throw a wad of cash on it either , being car fanatics it's hard to look at your car and say hmmm "I think il leave everything as it is" I know I can't do that it's an addiction (Good one) how many times do we sit in our cars driving with a Big smile on our faces knowing you just bought something cool or a mod on our cars , the money means nothing to you then.
The $7k of parts in my garage waiting to be installed agrees with you hahaha. So yes that further supports my point- if you bought an SC because you couldn't afford a supra... hold on to your receipts as you go NA-T, sell that setup for a loss because you want to go GTE, swap in the JDM GTE and buy a USDM harness, swap in a TT fuel pump then 550 cc injectors, decide you want a 5 speed so you swap a w58, decide you want a beefier 5 speed so you swap an r154, realize you want a badass rear end so you buy a tt auto rear end, swap in LS400 brakes to handle all the power, get annoyed with the brake pad ordeal then sell the LS400 brakes for supra tt brakes, realize your rear brakes look like crap with decent wheels then swap in tt rear brakes, come back to your motor and realize the JDM twins are heat soakers so you go with a small single, decide you want a 6 speed so you swap that in with the typical cost over runs that come with it, swap in a GS4 rear end and swap in an LSD, realize those JDM cams have to go, then all of the sudden it hits you like a ton of bricks- holy **** I have a lot of money into this thing!

So yeah SCs aren't cheap
Old 05-25-10, 09:37 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Yuup!! I got a cousin who has an 87 supra (I had an 89) he bought the car with a turbo motor in it, I shook my head and told him I hope u ready to spend money on it he laughed at me , pressent he has almost 15k in it ,1JZ (now single) a bunch of HKS and Apexi goodies in it , I looked at him and got the last laugh hahahahahaha!
Old 07-30-10, 12:30 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thatWESguy
+1, lol, I picked mine up for the same reason; took me over a year to find, but I'm glad I finally got it
Yeah man, that video is wicked every time I see it. It made my decision a lot easier.
Old 07-30-10, 02:42 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I wanted a manual V8 RWD coupe that could be turned into a great handling machine...and it's reliable and pretty and comfy and cost effective and.....
Old 07-30-10, 02:56 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not choose it... it chose me...
Old 07-30-10, 04:23 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i originally wanted an old muscle car with a big v8..however when i was searching couldnt find one that was affordable that was in decent shape..so i decided to start looking other places ..still wanted a rwd car(came from honda scene) i want comfort and luxury to be included and i wanted a power plant that could make great power..
i think the sc300 fits all this criteria..so i started looking into them and researching which im glad i did..cause it helped a lot when i found one that had a few issues...knew they were cheap fixes so i rushed to pick it up and very happy i did....i definitely love this car..favorite car ive owned so far(out of about 15)
Old 07-30-10, 04:49 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

I got it for cheap.
Boy was i wrong
Old 07-30-10, 06:32 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Passed around the family..

My daughter bought our 400 from our dentist and after letting it get run down was going to trade it in for $2000!! I bought it for my wife for our second car, but it is just too remarkable to let her have it. Its mine and she can't have it!
Old 07-30-10, 07:17 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

The $7k of parts in my garage waiting to be installed agrees with you hahaha. So yes that further supports my point- if you bought an SC because you couldn't afford a supra... hold on to your receipts as you go NA-T, sell that setup for a loss because you want to go GTE, swap in the JDM GTE and buy a USDM harness, swap in a TT fuel pump then 550 cc injectors, decide you want a 5 speed so you swap a w58, decide you want a beefier 5 speed so you swap an r154, realize you want a badass rear end so you buy a tt auto rear end, swap in LS400 brakes to handle all the power, get annoyed with the brake pad ordeal then sell the LS400 brakes for supra tt brakes, realize your rear brakes look like crap with decent wheels then swap in tt rear brakes, come back to your motor and realize the JDM twins are heat soakers so you go with a small single, decide you want a 6 speed so you swap that in with the typical cost over runs that come with it, swap in a GS4 rear end and swap in an LSD, realize those JDM cams have to go, then all of the sudden it hits you like a ton of bricks- holy **** I have a lot of money into this thing!

So yeah SCs aren't cheap
True. But if you just go APU 2jzgte 6-speed from the get go, you can do it all for about the same price as a stock or BPU Supra. Same amount of money invested gives you a more potent car (minus the superior handling and aerodynamics of course ).

I think for 20-24k, you can get a clean SC, do a gte swap, getrag, tt rear, single setup, fuel and ems to support it, suspension, brakes and wheels.

I think its doable. But yeah, if you do it all 3 or 4 times like you said, its gonna cost!

BTW, I picked an SC because its sexy, comfy, and obviously a potent platform. Plus, NOBODY around here has one!! I see so many Mustangs, Hondas, and Camaros around here and it just gets so old seeing the same stuff.

My SC gets so many looks and comments, it actually surprised me the first few times it happened. People notice SCs when they see one. It's just such a classy and refined car, old or not.

Quick Reply: What made you choose the Sc300/400?