Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 08:02 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just used this fix to fix my LS400 power tilt. I literally bought the washers that are made for garden hoses for 99Cents and use one of them in the back, and it was pretty thick, so I didn't need one in the front. Tilt works great now

Thanks!
Old 05-28-07, 09:11 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fix my 1995 sc300. I just wonder if new cars are using thicker wheel.
Old 06-06-07, 08:14 PM
kabilano
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blange400
OK I think I missed a specific answer on this... If the system works fine but just makes noise on the return, is the answer lubing the worm and gear or something else?

Thanks
You've got the same problem most of the rest of us have, and washers fix it. The reason it works going up is that the direction of rotation helps to keep it aligned; on the return the direction of rotation pushes the worm and gear apart. If you ignore the problem, it will eventually fail to work in either direction (but is still repairable).
Old 07-24-07, 10:25 AM
jakemt
Rookie

Default Same issue on '00 LS

This morning I had the same problem on my '00 ls. Can anyone show how to fix it? Is it the same? Thanx...
Old 07-24-07, 12:11 PM
kabilano
Driver School Candidate

Jakemt, I don't know what the '00 ls model looks like, but if it looks like the pics at the beginning of this thread, then there are 93 posts telling you how to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
mfg_guy (07-10-20)
Old 07-28-07, 06:17 PM
rawlooks
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering is now fixed!!!!!!

Dude, thanks for the info on the tilt steering. My ls steering was down for about a year but after reading your blog I fixed it today. Once again thanks for the information and continue to press on. S
Old 07-28-07, 10:50 PM
blange400
Driver

Thanks Kabliano!!
Old 07-29-07, 10:00 PM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

I did this and it sort of helped, i think my motor goes out because everything will adjust for about 5 seconds and then just quit. Any thoughts?
Old 09-03-07, 02:22 PM
Lexstacy40
Driver School Candidate

Default Issue continues

Originally Posted by SLEXC400
I did the washer thing years ago (before I found this forum) and it worked for quite awhile, but then I started experiencing the "dying out" problem. The wheel will move up or down or in or out for a couple of seconds, then just stop (like no power). You can hear the relay click, but nothing moves. If I let it sit for a minute I can coax it to move again. I just assumed it was a controller problem. Anyone else have this problem and have you been able to fix it? I just leave it one place, but it would be nice if I could get it working again (but not for over $500.00!) ...
Ok, so we've learned about the washer solution. But, as per this quoted post above, what if the gears are NOT worn out. I am not sure it's an alignment issue in my case. How to address if the motor runs a lap or two and then stops?

I have read all the 7 pages on this post but it doesn't look like anyone's addressed SLEXC400's note above. I am in the same position and would very much appreciate a response.

Gracias
Old 09-03-07, 02:36 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

On my GS, the old grease was dried up and getting stuck in the gears. I cleaned it and relubed it with new grease and it's back to normal.
Old 09-20-07, 09:45 AM
chitoe
Driver School Candidate

Another thubs up for c_irie!! saved me $900. i can't believe my shop didn't offer this. i can't believe they don't know about it.

The details of my case: 97 sc300

Followed c_irie's instructions. These 3 points were key in my case:

1. Don't forget the screw behind the steering wheel! The top of the wheel should be pointed at 4:30 for best access.
2. I had to push in on both sides of the bottom half of the clamshell more than I felt comfortable with to get it apart.
3. As someone else mentioned, get a flathead screwdriver lodged in the upper right corner to get the bolt off the blue gear.
4. 1/2" washers were just a little too small. Going to get 5/8" today.

Total time to repair (once I finish) will be about 15 minutes.

In my case, the original washer (apparently made of some fibrous material) was deteriorated to the point of disappearing into the yellow grease. They never should have used a washer with this material. As a result, the blue gear was just wobbling all over the place.

One remaining question from me... What is this yellow grease made of? Is it ok to use Litium grease??

THANKS AGAIN C_IRIE!!!
Old 09-20-07, 09:46 AM
chitoe
Driver School Candidate

thubs=thumbs

i have no idea what a thub is.
The following users liked this post:
mfg_guy (07-10-20)
Old 09-20-07, 06:08 PM
TheLexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used white lithium grease and have experienced no problems in 18-months. Be sure to use enough so it will work along the entire gear and against the washer, but make sure you don't pack the gear well or binding could occur.
Old 09-25-07, 04:57 AM
Ali y0
Pole Position

I don't understand, I removed everything as directed. The steering wheel comes in/out but doesn't go up/down.

The worm+wheel is supposed to move when? Nothing moves in there when I play with the joystick, someone help
Old 10-23-07, 10:49 AM
HeyY0
Pole Position

just did mine, man it is friggin hot outside

wait theres supposed to be a washer in there lol took it apart and only found a blue gear wit grease.

used two of those tiny screwdrivers that u use for like eye glasses screws to pop the blue wheel out. took it inside home cheapo, measeured it with a bunch of the metal galvanized washers.
dunno wat size they were cause they were scattered on the shelves and i didnt get a receipt, was like 0.27. i could only fit one washer behind then one in front.

worx perfect, well atleast mine moved it just grinded wen u tried to put it down. i can see my gauges now, yay lol

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair