Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 09:36 PM
SirSamII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Hot outside lol. So I did the fix but up & down doesn't work at all now (it grinded briefly before fix & then just stopped working completely). Is there a manual tilt option somewhere like a screw that can be twisted? Because it's stuck in the full up position. I looked into fuses & only one that looks relevant controls many other things and they are all working fine. Possibly motor freakishly went bad? In & Out works fine.
Old 10-24-07, 04:13 PM
TheLexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your Tilt Problem

If you haven't put the unit back together, try taking the cog off again and engage the up/down toggle switch. If the motor works, you probably have the motor stopped where it can't move the steering wheel any more toward the up position. Use the "up" function until the motor stops. Then, put the gear back on and secure it with the washer and nut. Now, press the "Down" toggle. If the motor isn't shot, I believe your problem will have been resolved. Good luck.
Old 10-27-07, 11:30 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Great job C ire! I just did this. I used a locking washer for the back (to the left in image) and a 10 mm nut/washer combo for the front. I used a locking washer that has to be bent flat using a pair of pliers (I used two pairs og vise-grips). But you will only need i such washer.
Attached Thumbnails Tilt steering repair-01.jpg  
Old 10-27-07, 11:32 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

BTW: it is a 3/4 inch washer. The washers you used were not available where I went. Here's where you have to bend it . Just bend until they match.
Attached Thumbnails Tilt steering repair-02.jpg  
Old 10-27-07, 11:34 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jakemt
This morning I had the same problem on my '00 ls. Can anyone show how to fix it? Is it the same? Thanx...
BTW: I have a 99. they appear to be all the same.
Old 10-30-07, 08:56 PM
SirSamII
Driver School Candidate

Yea, it doesn't make any noises at all so that didn't fix the problem. Does anyone know if the two motors (tilt & telescopic) are interchangeable? They look to be. I am going to just take out the motor & test it, to see if it works. I am currently having a problem taking off the tilt motor as certain areas of the dash are in the way & it seems after taking all the screws off there are more behind the dash underneath were it is impossible to get to. Does anyone have a dash/steering tilt motor disassembly tutorial? As far as the telescopic functions go they work great.
Old 11-08-07, 05:08 PM
dhenlys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xcelr8
BTW: I have a 99. they appear to be all the same.
XCELR8 -

Did you receive an answer to your question? I have a 99 LS. Wheel is in the "school bus" position. I do not see the same access cover shown in the pictures at the beginning of this thread by c Ire. Need help. Thanx
Old 11-11-07, 02:22 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dhenlys
XCELR8 -

Did you receive an answer to your question? I have a 99 LS. Wheel is in the "school bus" position. I do not see the same access cover shown in the pictures at the beginning of this thread by c Ire. Need help. Thanx
Hey:

I do not know if LS would be the same...I as responding to someone who asked if all SC300/400 were the same. He said he had a 99 sc300.

My car looked exactly like the opening pic.
Old 11-11-07, 06:50 PM
k4rr
Driver

I used rubber washers from lowes to fix mine.
Old 11-15-07, 05:27 AM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SirSamII
Very Hot outside lol. So I did the fix but up & down doesn't work at all now (it grinded briefly before fix & then just stopped working completely). Is there a manual tilt option somewhere like a screw that can be twisted? Because it's stuck in the full up position. I looked into fuses & only one that looks relevant controls many other things and they are all working fine. Possibly motor freakishly went bad? In & Out works fine.
Did you ever figure this out? The tilt stopped working on my '99 LS this morning, in the full up position. If I could just get it down to my normal driving position and leave it there, I'd be happy with that.
Old 11-15-07, 07:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you want to manually lower it you just need to spin the blue wheel yourself via the bolt attatched to it
while spinning the blue gear you will see the whole steering column move slightly up or down. when you press the button that spiral thing does this for you, but you can do it yourself. it is very time consuming.

my blue worm gear is held in by a nut that isnt a regular one.
it looks like in the picture. i cant get a regular socket on there and i tried pliers for about an hour and i stripped the worm gear real good. at this point i just want the nut off and dont care about the stripping.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-15-07 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 08:06 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesnt make noise just doesnt work sometimes when its really hot in the car
The following users liked this post:
mfg_guy (07-10-20)
Old 11-17-07, 02:53 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

does anyone know how to remove that worm gear? where am i suppose to put and use that paper clip method. anyone have a picture?
Old 11-17-07, 02:56 PM
HeyY0
Pole Position

wasnt as simple as it sounds, i used two of those small screwdrivers that u use for like glasses

once u take off the nut that holds it on, u just try and find a way to get sumthing behind the blue weel and pry it out
Old 11-17-07, 03:06 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

well how do i take off the nut with a socket when i try to loosen it the wheel just spins and grinds the wheel.

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair