SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 08:24 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?

I know this thread has been discussed before (like in this formerly-sticky thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=34734 ) , but here's a few additional specifics on how I ran my 4 gauge cable to my SC400 trunk today. I'm not yet finished- I have yet to decide what sort of 80amp fuse to use and where to locate it, so I would appreciate any suggestions and pics.

Here's a pic of the "lead wire" I taped to the 4 gauge- that helped a lot in routing the thick 4 gauge through the tight areas:
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-image034.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-07-02 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 08:32 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Here's a pic of the area revealed when the black plastic front driver's wheel well is removed- it is definitely possible to run an amp wire without removing that panel, but I used the opportunity to install some RAAMmat on the inside of the fenders and lower firewall panel.

You can see where the red amp wire goes through the firewall- there's an opening in that large "grommet" that looks as if it was designed just for the amp cable! Thanks, Lexus engineers!

That yellow loom looks like an afterthought- any one know what it is? It runs all the way to the very front, ending after the neck of the windshield washer fluid tank neck and before the headlight. At that point, it plugs into a yellow unit the size of an egg.
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-image037.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-07-02 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 08:45 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Here is how I ran the wire through the rear seat area. There already was an oval hole, just to the right of where all the other wires enter the trunk, that I enlarged for the amp wire.

FYI- It takes 12 ft, 3 inches of cable to stretch from the battery/fuse area to the opening leading to the trunk area you see there. So just add whatever extra you need to reach your amp location, and that is how long a continuous run of B+ cable you'll need to buy.

I hope this helps out anyone that plans to do the same. Now, can anyone show me a good way to layout the lead 80amp fuse right off the battery tap? That whole battery area is kinda crowded, with the fuse box behind it and all, so I'd like to see what works before plunging in. I'll post whatever I end up doing here, as well.

And to see why I am running an amp wire, be sure to click on the link below to my sounddomain.com page!
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-image043.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-17-04 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 11:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Here's the only fuse pic I could find....

... from that same thread I mentioned earlier ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=34734 ), CL member DuB had the same dilemma I have- where and how DO you fuse the B+ on an SC?
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-fuse.jpg  
Old 06-08-02, 06:14 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my distribution if it helps, let me know if you need more pics.
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-compressed-amp-rack-pwr-distr.jpg.jpg  
Old 06-08-02, 06:56 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Need more pics...

Thanks Jon, but what I'm looking for is how folks laid out the lead fuse right off the battery tap, and then how they routed the B+ wire to the back of the SC engine compartment.

Nice dist block job, though. Of course, compared to that nightmare install I saw on eBay last month ago (see pic below), anything is looking good to my eyes lately!
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-fuse2.jpg  
Old 06-08-02, 11:28 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offhand, I don't remember what the inside of the fuse box looks like...but you think you could use a factory-style fuse/slot for it? Seems like there are some empty slots for the high rated fuses in there....you might even be able to take advantage of the bus bar in the box. OR, if there's enough clearance, you might be able to run the wires in the lid or base, and put it on the underside of the fuse box lid....you'd just have to leave some slack to get the lid off.
Old 06-08-02, 12:22 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Talking C'mon! Put the fuse in the FUSE BOX? Don't be ridiculous!

Hah! That would be a good idea (and politically correct, too), but here's a pic of that fuse box with the cover off- not too easy to find room for a 4 gauge. I'm thinking of using that flat vertical exterior panel of the fuse box that faces the engine, or that flat horizontal area the red wire end is resting on.
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-fuse0005.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-10-02 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-08-02, 01:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I ran my RF 4AWG lead right from the battery, as I recommend to you. I changed over to RF gold battery terminals with a couple of 4AWG and 8AWG terminals, but i'll warn you, most aftermarket terminals are not as long as the cheesy pressed metal terminals that come on the car, and the main lead to the starter will probably not reach. I used my breaker to solve that problem. I mounted a 100W circuit breaker right next to the battery, it actually fit right next to it in the tray, and ran a short length of 4AWG to it from the terminal atop the battery, and ran my starter lead to the terminal on the breaker, as well as my 4AWG lead to the firewall, which I loomed and ran along discretely near where the fuel line comes up and meets the rail, by the bottoms of the inner fenders on the driver side, there's a perfect route for it, and into the corner by the master cylinder, where it goes through the firewall. Hope that's clear enough.
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-compressed-amps-neon.jpg  
Old 06-08-02, 02:24 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Holy toledo people are gonna think I have nothing better to do with my Saturday afternoons but tinker with my car and get online once an hour to ask dumb questions. Well, actually, they'd be right. Thanks for indulging me.

I follow what you did, but I am hoping to get away with tapping my 4 gauge amp wire lead right off that top flat surface of the stock Battery + connector (clearly seen in pic below). I'm only gona run one 350 W amp off of it, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-fuse0002.jpg  
Old 06-08-02, 07:24 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Hehehe. My bad. Like I said, I didn't remember what all was in there.
Old 06-10-02, 03:02 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, as the pic shows, I just velcroed the fuseholder to the top of the fuse box cover. I was thinking about sticking it on the side as well, but my fuseholder was too big, and it also made access to the fuse a little more difficult.

Oh, I think the yellow looming is probably airbag related stuff. All the airbag stuff in my truck is yellow, or in yellow loom.
Old 06-10-02, 04:07 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Luckily I had a 1600x1200 pic of my engine bay. Here's what I did with my Monster 100-amp breaker....
Attached Thumbnails Here's 3 pics of the SC amplifier cable that I ran to the trunk...any fuse tips?-mar29-13.jpg  
Old 05-14-10, 03:02 PM
repetedb
Driver School Candidate

sorry to bring up this old thread but also i found the area at the wheel well but there hole where the yellow wiring goes in is surrounded by a rubber thing what should i do
Old 05-14-10, 03:09 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

WOW this must be a record for raising the dead lol. If you plan on lowering your car I dont recommend going through the wheel well, there is a good chance your wires are going to get chomped up but your tires.