SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 SC400 vs 99 SC300 - Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 01:58 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Oh yeah Steve, did you blue print your turbo? If so i would love to buy a copy off you or get some tips...My lil project is gonna go underway this summer!
Thanks for understanding. I didn't have a blue print, but I could send you a photo instead. LOL. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm always willing to help and to learn with new stuffs. I just sometime feel bad when a good proven and underestimated V8 is thrown away. Toyota didn't design the V8 to be thrown away.
Old 06-22-09, 01:05 AM
spin all 4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny. If this guy is *****ing about getting to the starter on a 1uzfe, he should try working on some really ****ty to work on cars.

Like doing a motor swap on a MR2, or even the hose from hell. Aprox 8 hrs book time to change a $8.00 rubber hose.

Anything on Audi's 2.7t motor

LT1 fbody

The list could go on for days.
Old 06-22-09, 12:08 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spin all 4
That's funny. If this guy is *****ing about getting to the starter on a 1uzfe, he should try working on some really ****ty to work on cars.

Like doing a motor swap on a MR2, or even the hose from hell. Aprox 8 hrs book time to change a $8.00 rubber hose.

Anything on Audi's 2.7t motor

LT1 fbody

The list could go on for days.
I heard paintful stories on the MR2 as well. It's all the pain working on this car, but MR2 lovers still go for it.
Old 06-22-09, 06:42 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by $loJam
Honestly, wtf is the point to adding all that performance shiznit in a 1st gen SC? Not only are you helping to put your SC in an early grave but you are probaly not even going to beat a moded civic. Pouring money down the crapper. You'll need the money for maintanance. Get a car with real performance potential (ie Supra, 240 etc). If you want luxury then get a Lexus. If you want the quickest stock SC for crusing then get a 98+SC400. Don't blow your good hard earned money.
I have done my first round of Mods and have yet to feel like I am " Pouring money down the crapper". I am not modding my SCxxx to be out the Racing CIVIC. I am just trying to Mod my SCxxx the way I think Lexus should have Modded the SCxxx. The Supra is a Great Great vechicle But I like a few other could do without all the attention this car brings. I dont think you can compare the 240 to a SCxxx. Given the choice how many would chose the 240 over a SCxxx?????????????????? The only choice to me is 98-00 SC400 0r SC300 with a W58
Old 08-04-09, 08:04 PM
yauser
Rookie

Let's put it this way.. Actually, this is what I'm doing. I'm 30 and seriously have no time in hand to work on my car any longer. I have a permanent position which I'm trying to fight for currently, a marriage I know is on the way, and a kid probably right after. I have no time! But yet, I wanna go fast! Here's what I've decided after having owned 2 na-t sc300s. It's easy to slap on a turbo, but your work is not over and will never be over. Boosting is like an old man jrking off, Lol.. You're going to keep pushing and pushing, maybe for days, maybe weeks, months, or even years, and eventually, you'll pop the motor. I guarantee this will happen to you eventually. What's gonna hurt most? Removing all the goodies you've invested for your turbo project to run fast and efficient is what kills me the most. I only trust myself in doing most of the work, and when your motor blows, all the time and effort goes down the drain. It hurts man. Not only that, if you're going to replace the motor and transfer all the parts over, you'll spend another good amount of time on it. Then of course you'll have to schedule an appointment to tune the sht out it, and tune some more after. Well, while some believe they love their car more than their T71 turbo producing 600rwhp, bs! I just realize that I actually like the SC more than the power I can produce with the GE motor, and therefore, have finally decided to own a stock 98+ SC400 with a maximum of 75 shots of nitrous. The motor can handle 150shot so half of that should do little to no harm. This already gets me into the high 13's, low low 14's. I'm not trying to impress people with a 400rwhp motor pulling high 12's either. Why not just buy a porsche 911 if that's the case. Just install the nitrous and good to go, low maintenance and low risk (harmless 75 shots). There's plenty of power for daily street/highway driving, and you'll enjoy a true SC400 at all times before the nitrous kicks in. That's what I really want. I noticed that driving a na-t sc300 feels nothing like a Lexus. Why beat the sht out of a car that was never meant to be that way. It's a luxury sport Lexus driven the way it should feel with only minimal mods. And no disrespect to those who's done well with their boosted SC's, but the ones who are seriously considering a turbo SC for their future driving machine, make sure you have money to spend and someone to work on it. And make sure you really like the car more than the power capabilities of the motor, because I think you'll change your mind. That was me before. A lesson learned.

Last edited by yauser; 08-04-09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 08:31 PM
yauser
Rookie

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Dude, if you didn't post the links, then at least everyone doesn't think that you don't know nothing about making the car faster. Now, you posted the links and proved that you haven't really built any hi-peformance cars. They're just your internet info.

Let me prove you wrong.

First, the turbo kit that you posted is a universal kit. It's not put together as a bolt-on kit. To make it work, you'll need a specific manifold for the SC3 and fabricate the whole piping system. Also, a lot of other parts not on the list will be on the list once the job is started. You'll need to hire a hi-performance shop to fabricate the complete system for you and it'll cost another $2G easily. And even if you know how to fabricate, it'll still cost you for extra parts. You may have at least done more research to find the complete bolt-on kit.

I agree with the coilover, the price could be just like that. There's nothing more. But you'll still need to know how to put it in or a shop can charge you for around $300-$400 or even more.

Now is the Haltech. Do you know how to wire the ECU? I guess not. Wiring by a pro will cost you at least $600 for an advanced piggyback ECU and more than $1000 for the universal standalone. Then you gotta spend around another $1G for tuning from scratch.

I've been working on cars, engines and turbo systems for quite sometime now, around 7 years. I've finished fabricating a single turbo system on my SC4with a complete overhaul on the engine and many other stuffs on it. You want to prove something else? You'll need to get your hands dirty and greasy to know stuffs. Sorry. But that's the truth.

I used to come from the Honda crowd, so if you want to talk about Honda, let's open a new thread and I'll join you.

P.S I guess this thread has turned elsewhere, so my apology to GKLexus.
Man I love the stock Honda Civic 93 model. That's what I'm currently driving to work each day. 36+mpg, forget the hybrids, lol.. People talk sht about Honda's because of the large amount of rockets out there. But most of you talking smack are really on the same boat, but with a higher class car. Stop contradicting yourselves. Don't worry if your generation stops buying aftermarket parts because it's replaced with a new generation of people. It's time to grow out of it.
Old 08-04-09, 08:39 PM
yauser
Rookie

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Well, if you want to save the money wisely, the best bet is not to put any go-fast stuffs on either the SC3 or SC4. Once you put the stuffs on them, none of them is cheap either once you love the boost and try to pass 7-8 psi. Anyway, I'd say we stick to the original car, maybe put a set of coilover and rims on it and call it done.
I totally agree with a lot of stuff you're talking about.