SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Common maintenance issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 03:34 PM
quick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Common maintenance issues?

I'm looking into a used SC300 or SC400 for my wife when she graduates from grad. school ... are there any common issues associated with the SC300/400 that I should be aware of?

I do my own car work, so labor is not an issue.

I know that N/A MkIV Supras have similar suspension components to the SCs... and they sometimes need control arms replaced due to noise in the rear... is this true also for the SCs?

Any specific tips on SCs that I need to be aware of when buying used?

Any web sites, links, or resources would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 03-05-02, 07:03 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you tell me more about the rear control arm issue? Yes SCs do have this noise problem. Both of my SC400 have this noise. Do I have to replace it?

For SCs, what does your wife likes, manual or auto? Only SC300 have manual and only up to 97 I think.
Common problem for SC400: Power steering pump if the pump doesn't fix in time the P/S fluid flow down to the alternator then you have to replace the alternator. Sometime high pressure and low pressure hoses need replace also. Gauges light burn out (very expensive to replace). A/C controler LCD leaks (expensive). doors hinge. CD changer broken. Head lights/brake lights moisture inside

Check out Edmunds.com the site has a lot of discussion about SC/LS problems.
Old 03-05-02, 07:14 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

hey, welcome, nice Supra too!!!
Old 03-05-02, 07:17 PM
quick
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, VQT. I'll go read at edmunds.

When you say expensive, could you provide dollar amounts? Replacing lights behind the dash expensive? Are they some special lights or something?

As I said, I do all my own work so I'm mainly concerned with parts costs.

For more information on the control arm issue, I suggest searching at www.supraforums.com ...I saw a post about this subject in the Suspension subforum here as well... I'd check there.

I've heard about it anecdotally, but haven't investigated it thoroughly as I don't have an NA and the control arms are different for the TT.

Do the SCs have 'manumatic' in any way, or are they only auto or manual?

Oh, and fixing that moisture problem with the headlights shouldn't be too bad if they're like the JZA80 Supra. There's a tech article on the subject at www.mkiv.com

Thanks again. Any additional info would be welcome.
Old 03-05-02, 07:19 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by JohnnySC
hey, welcome, nice Supra too!!!
Thanks.

Single turbo Rx7, eh? Got any pics? I love the body style of those cars and their light weight... too bad there's no way I could fit at 6'6".
Old 03-05-02, 07:26 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I am trying to post some pics in the next few days! It is a bit of a stretch for me to fit too, and I am 6'2. I have a line on an NSX so I think the RX-7 might be going bye-bye.
Old 03-05-02, 07:27 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

p.s. always nice to see someone "mature" drift over from the Supraforum. Interesting group over there!
Old 03-05-02, 08:06 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by quick
Thanks for the info, VQT. I'll go read at edmunds.

When you say expensive, could you provide dollar amounts? Replacing lights behind the dash expensive? Are they some special lights or something?

As I said, I do all my own work so I'm mainly concerned with parts costs.
I was only refer only on parts price.
Someone here paid two (RPM and MPH) needle gauges for $350. You have to replace it yourself. There are two more smaller gauges (gas and temp.). The light on the gauges burned out through time. When you test drive a SC you'll know what I mean.

P/S pump OEM ~$450?. Autozone $150
high pressure hose ~$500-$600
low pressure hosw less than above

Door hinge ~$200 each, door lock actuator ~$150 and its a b$%^t to take out.

side power mirror ECU ~$200

Alternator OEM ~too much, autozone ~$189, NAPA ~$200 to $350.

A/C controller, I could of got one for ~$300 (from a Lexus tech., friend of my brother) last summer but I didn't have the money at the time.

CD changer, forget it, go after market. It about ~$500 to $800 rebuild from the dealer. The price depends on which dealer you're dealing with.

Head light: low beam $260, Hi beam $150 (mine was crack, not moisture yet)

The price quote was actual price from Carson Toyota, Steve Ganz (he's a forum member here so we get cheaper price)

Last edited by VQT; 03-05-02 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-05-02, 09:13 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by VQT

I was only refer only on parts price.
Whoa! So I take it that all of the prices you quote below are for replacement parts, rather than fixing the components that are broken (forgive me if this is a stupid question and things are too hard to fix (i.e. you can't get at the bulbs or something)).

Someone here paid two (RPM and MPH) needle gauges for $350. You have to replace it yourself. There are two more smaller gauges (gas and temp.). The light on the gauges burned out through time. When you test drive a SC you'll know what I mean.
Goodness. So you have to replace the entire gauge and can't just take it apart and solder in/install a new bulb? Dang...

P/S pump OEM ~$450?. Autozone $150
high pressure hose ~$500-$600
low pressure hosw less than above
What causes the power steering pump to go? How many miles typically before it goes?

$500 for a hose! WTF?

Door hinge ~$200 each, door lock actuator ~$150 and its a b$%^t to take out.
So you actually need to replace the hinges and door lock? What causes this failure? These are crazy replacement items. Things like this don't happen on my Supras... or my wife's Corolla...

A/C controller, I could of got one for ~$300 (from a Lexus tech., friend of my brother) last summer but I didn't have the money at the time.
So the climate control goes out too?

The price quote was actual price from Carson Toyota, Steve Ganz (he's a forum member here so we get cheaper price)
I think I'll try to PM Steve and ask which SC parts people are buying the most... what's his alias?

Thanks a lot for this great information.
Old 03-05-02, 09:29 PM
quick
Pole Position

I am trying to post some pics in the next few days! It is a bit of a stretch for me to fit too, and I am 6'2. I have a line on an NSX so I think the RX-7 might be going bye-bye.
I look forward to the pics. I can imagine that's a tight fit...

NSX-s are nice cars, but if you're going to spend that kind of cash why not get a Z06? They're the baddest car on the streets right now... probably not in the same realm quality-wise but hey...
Old 03-05-02, 09:32 PM
quick
Pole Position

p.s. always nice to see someone "mature" drift over from the Supraforum. Interesting group over there!
Supraforums is populated by a bunch 13 year-old of Fast N Furious fans with too much time on their hands.

Half the time the server's not even available because so many wannabees are clogging it up arguing over their Civics... it's a real pit there now. They're trying to clean it up, but it's going to take a while IMO.

It's nice to come somewhere where people aren't jerks all the time.... now all I need is more tech talk.
Old 03-05-02, 10:07 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Quick,

Dont give up hope....get your wife a SC4.....its a awesome car. Just find one with good history and not beatup...many of these items will not show up on a clean car. And the fixes are cheap for someone who knows how to wrench...ie climate control is usually bulbs, cheap fix. Get out and drive a few...you will love it. Also, many early 92-94 models had this stuff replaced under warranty so check that too. I do all my own mods/maint and have no problems with replacing anything on my SC...it has not needed it yet...ex for the bulbs in the climate control, 10 dollar fix.

I had a 94tt...sold it...and have a SC4 daily driver in the summer. I did keep my 87T HKS stage 7+ 500hp killer for the days I have an urge to wipe the mountains clean. hehe

My wife? she has a LS400 and just loves it....but she like to take my SC when poss. ha

Keep us informed.
Attached Thumbnails Common maintenance issues?-p9230018.jpg  
Old 03-05-02, 10:14 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Yeah,

That aint your normal 87 Supra in the above picture. Hehe, I feel pity for the poor fools that have taken this car a 14year old clunker. 70k miles and yes thats factory paint....oh, and that big scoop in the front bumper is straight from Japan...and feeds cold air to my huge HKS intercooler sitting directly behind it. Its got so many discontinued parts imported directly from Japan...the cockpit looks like a jet fighter....

Later gang,
Attached Thumbnails Common maintenance issues?-interior.jpg  
Old 03-05-02, 10:21 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey quick ... I have 92k on my car and the power stearing pump just now has a small leak , im having it resealed ... and the A/C control unit, I found at a junk yard for 150$ but decided to not pick it up ... there are a few threads about replacing bulbs in the a/c unit and behind the speed/tach. some part numbers too I think
Old 03-05-02, 10:31 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any of those problems with my 95 SC400. I believe there's an article on Pete's Soarer page on how to fix that needle burn-out issue in case you ever run into it. It'll only cost you like 30 cents for a new resistor and maybe and hour-hour and a half time to fix. The door hinge problem I suspect is from wind catching the door. I find it hard to believe that the hinge hyper-extends beyond it's mechanical capabilities on it's own. Also, one of my headlight housings has a 2-inch crack running down it and I've never experienced cloudiness or condensation, even in the rain. The A/C LCD bleeding fluid? I've never seen that in any LCD application until someone cracks the screen first.

The power steering, needle lights, and headlight moisture are the only problems I've heard of that are common, but none of these have happened to me yet---*knock on wood*. The only one I'm worried about is the power steering leakage because all the others are easy/cheap fixes. Don't be discouraged, the SC is a great car. I doubt that anyone in here has had half these problems occur in their SCs. Maybe one or two of them, but don't expect the car to explode a week after you buy it.

Quick Reply: Common maintenance issues?