SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Airbags and headers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 06:46 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags and headers.

So, I installed my S&S headers today... it was such a pain in the ***.

I didn't take any pictures, as you really couldn't see jack but I can easily write up directions to do it that are rather easy, as long as you don't round out a nut. I started the car with open headers and the entire auto shop was looking and came around the car... it sounded totally insane. I finish the rest of the exhaust tomorrow, will have pictures and videos of that for sure.

But, on to the airbag. I have a stage 1 black airbag that doesn't fit my wheel. I need the airbag with the little metal L in the middle. Can you convert a dual stage airbag into a single, or is it possible to swap out the actual components so that the single stage is fitted with the larger airbag cover?

I blew 220 on the single stage, and buying the other black one soon for 100. Gotta figure this out soon! I'm rolling w/o an airbag and I feel silly.
Old 12-20-08, 05:19 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

how long did the headers take to install?

from what i've read on the airbag.. Either you can buy a connector that plugs the dual-stage airbag into the single stage connector or cut and splice the correct wires.

The connector is becoming pretty rare from what I hear.
Old 12-20-08, 06:44 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious on some info and tricks you did for the header install.
Old 12-20-08, 08:40 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Well all together, it took me over 10 hours because I made a couple of mistakes, and didn't know the best angles to use.

Tools I used, were a 1/2" breaker bar, two 12" extensions, a swivel head and a BRAND new 14MM socket. I found out the hard way, that used sockets only rounded two of the hardest to reach nuts... that's what took a good 2 hours a piece to get off. I later got a nut biting set, the little things that eat into the nut when turning counter clockwise and allow you to take the nut off.

First off, I took off the power steering tank (after breaking a rubber line jacking the engine up, so do this first to save yourself the headache) and intake tube. I have an Injen intake, so I took it off all the way to the manifold. Once your done in the engine bay, jack the car up.

I took off the bolts that held the engine mounts on, I think they were a 17MM. Once you release those 2 bolts, one on each side you can jack the engine up. Drop the car, and jack the engine up slowly until you can't see it move anymore. This will give you access to almost all of the top bolts using a 14MM wrench, 14MM ratchet wrench and some sore hands.

The biggest pain in the *** in this install had to have been the heat shields. The drivers side comes out just fine from the top, however the passenger side wouldn't come out without cutting off the flange from the exhaust manifold. I decided to cut off both flanges after removing the stock cats which gave me great access to the nuts that were hard to reach. I will be providing pictures tomorrow as I need to go in and tighten up some spots after I've let the car run for a bit. I will take pictures of everything that you need to remove so the process will be fairly simple.

Best advice, have a breaker bar, extensions and some brand spanking new 14MM sockets.

I will post pictures and a really good step by step removal / installation process tomorrow when I take some pictures. ScottURnot did this in a few hours, I was solo and learned from my mistakes so I can save you guys the head aches of having the same things!
Old 12-21-08, 08:01 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt,
I am glad you got them on, It is not a easy task at all. When I did mine the first time I had my car on a lift and all the right tools, not to mention my cousin to help out. I am just glad you got them on.
When I first read this I thought you were bagging the car! I thought, he never told me that! LOL
What car did the wheel you have come out of?
Old 12-21-08, 09:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i am using a dual stage airbag, by wiring in one stage.
just chopped off the connector from the old bag and wired it into the new bag.
airbag light cleared like normal. i would still advise most people to just buy a single stage, because as I have never gotten into a collision I cannot be 100% sure it works.
but I think it will and I think its "better" than having no airbag.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rbag-work.html
pix are on page 2, page 1 was me trying to figure out how to do it "safely"

I have had no problems with it for like 7 months now.
Old 12-21-08, 06:16 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't get a chance to take any pictures because it seems my power steering is all messed up now. It bubbles ( really frothy at the top of the tank) and makes weird noises..

I think when I busted the line, I got a lot of air in there and perhaps some debris that I need to clean out.

More down time
Old 12-21-08, 06:22 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Matt,
I am glad you got them on, It is not a easy task at all. When I did mine the first time I had my car on a lift and all the right tools, not to mention my cousin to help out. I am just glad you got them on.
When I first read this I thought you were bagging the car! I thought, he never told me that! LOL
What car did the wheel you have come out of?
Thanks Scott! That exhaust you sold me bolted right on, didn't even have to manipulate the flex couplers. For a second I thought the gaskets were a bit too thick because the bolt that came welded on the top of the headers was a little short, but it all worked out perfectly. I think I have a slight leak at the front of the drivers side that I need to look at once I get the exhaust finished so I can actually hear it.

I am unsure what model car this steering wheel is for. Its the black, 3 spoke wood grain that doesn't have the little bumps on the top bar closer to the leather portion, if that makes sense. The steering wheel is equal thickness all around. I've seen some of the wheels with little humps closer to where you hold it. I'll post a picture in an hour or so when my camera is charged.

There is a dual stage black airbag that fits perfectly for 100 dollars in the FS forum... thinkin about it.