Maintenance / Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 09:12 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance / Timing belt

Hi folks,

Gonna have extensive maintenance done on my 93 SC (120K miles) next week at a Lexus dealership. Talked to the owner yesterday, and he told me to expect that the timing belt will most probably have to be changed.

What would you expect to pay for 120k maintenance in the USA, and how much for the timing belt? Anything else you would want to be checked at 120k?

Just curious because I got ripped off several times for work done on my exotic cars (yes, they're exotic here).

Last thing was a new clutch for the TBird. Estimate was $800, then it took them 5 days to replace the clutch and I ended up paying $4000

Thanks
Old 02-20-02, 09:20 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Acctis,

While the're in there, have them change the water pump as well. It's the labor that is expensive, not the belt - kill two birds with one stone and do both and save yourself down the road.

Ryan
Old 02-21-02, 08:26 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Every 60K miles (ie: 60, 120, 180, 240...) the big 60K interval maintenance is suggested to be performed on the SC400.

You can expect to pay between $1200 to $1600 for the typical 60K maintenance, those are the price ranges I recieved from the 3 Lexus dealers here in CT that I could have had the work done by. Your price on this may vary. I dunno. That price included all fluid changes, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, timing belt, rear seal, drop the trannie pan and clean the magnets, check compression, etc. Your dealer will provide you with the hit list. To be safe, get this list from more than one dealer and compare the list. Talk to the service consultant. This was a two day event, I was provided a Lexus loaner car free of charge. My car was also washed, cleaned inside and out, and pretty much came out looking showroom.

When you do the 120K maintenance, you should probably specify that new rotors, caps, spark plug wires and plugs be fitted if these have never been done. These are not items that "normally" are changed. You may also want to have your valve adjustment checked while you are at it. Be sure to specify that you want the fuel filter changed as well. This is an item that many mechanics hate to attend to (per LexLuthor) due to line corrosion issues and whatnot.

If it were my car, virtually all fluids would be drained and refreshed (cooling fan oil, brake, Power Steering, Trannie, rear end) if they had not been recently attended to.

My dealer pretty much goes thru the entire car on the 60K interval. While they check things they made a list of items (at my request) that I should attend to in the near future. That is how knew to have the struts replaced. They should also visually check the rubber brake lines that go to each caliper. Make sure they check the parking brake pads which are inside the rear rotor hubs IF you use them alot.

It is a good feeling having had the major interval done, it is not a good feeling paying the bill.

Old 02-21-02, 12:05 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Isn't the timing belt interval 90k not 60k, according to the user manual?
Old 02-21-02, 12:29 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisK
Isn't the timing belt interval 90k not 60k, according to the user manual?
According to my 93 shop manual. recommend timing belt change at 60K for California car and all car with severe driving condition. I personally think 90K is more appropriate. Then again, we can check the belt condition provided that you got the SC400. Take the caps & rotor cover off and you can see the belt.
Old 02-21-02, 01:42 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I've started taking my car to a AAA highly rated service place that does a lot of Lexus cars. My dealership is a big group of ***-clowns so they got the dump. As far as I know, the timing belt wasn't changed when my 60k was done.
Old 02-21-02, 04:46 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Lexus dealer is worthless, they know so little about these cars it's scary. 90K is perfectly fine to change out the timing belt. Mine has 70K, I accessed and inspected the belt and it's like new. Truth be told, it's not an interference motor, even if you waited until 150K and the belt went, it wouldn't take out any of the valvetrain or reciprocating assembly, you'd just be stranded. Of course I don't recommend this, but the 60K Lexus-recommended interval is like changing rubbers in the middle of lovemaking, it's just not necessary. The tech is supposed to afix a decal atop the motor when he does the timing belt, but i'm sure that's been overlooked, so have your local dealer generate a national inquiry repair order listing, and if you're still not sure, just have it done by 90K.