SC300 Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 05:11 PM
RyanSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC300 Reliability?

Hello,

I was at my local Lexus dealership getting a service history report of a potential SC300 that I might purchase.

He said that you should have at least $2,000 to $3,000 on hand a year for problems that I will encounter with the cars.

Not this one in general, but all SC300s.

Now, after talking to him, I feel extremely discouraged about looking further into one of these vehicles.

I would assume that a car made by Toyota/Lexus would have the reliability of a Toyota/Lexus.

The one that I am particularly looking at has 101,000 miles, and is a 1993. It's in excellent shape. My only gripe is a few paint chips, and a trunk lid that won't stay open by itself.

Should I be concerned about the mileage? The dealer has no records of a 60k service, but I suppose they could have had it serviced at a non-Lexus mechanic.

Thanks,
Ryan P.
Old 02-19-02, 05:26 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I'm sure he'd love to have your 2-3 grand per year! Excuse me for being so skeptical, but as a DIY (do it yourselfer) I find most stuff can be done on your own.

Engine components you'd car not to mess with, find a good toyota dealership. The SC300 (2JZ-GE) engine is also in the non-turbo 1993.5-1998 Toyota Supra. They'll proably be cheaper, and even cheaper still if you've got hookups. Use the dealership as a last resort.
Old 02-19-02, 05:29 PM
RyanSC300
Driver School Candidate

So with a well-taken care of car, I shouldn't worry about problems all of the time?

I just assumed that a Toyota-made car will have the EXCELLENT reliabilty that Toyotas have.

Thanx,
Ryan
Old 02-20-02, 03:03 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

He is full of it, unless you want every little thing done for you. About 95% of his inflated $2k can be done by yourself with a little help from around here. The other 5% is stuff like timing belt, internals, stuff like that. Any one that has been around 2JZs can do that a lot cheaper than the dealership. Dealer = last option.
Old 02-20-02, 07:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a DIY too and I don't know about how much you spent on maintenace on your other cars. From my experience, I would agree with him about having ~$2000 on hand every year for maintenance. I do most of the work myself. Just think about it, How often do you replace tires? Say every three years, how much for a set of tire for that year? oil change every 3K, trans. fluid change every 15K (Toyota type T-IV). A/C controller LCD, rpm/speedometor gauges, O2 sensors, doors hinges, timing belt, water pump, sparkplugs, P/S pump, alternator, MAF sensor, TPS...

You might not having to replace all of this in one year. But every year you will have to spend money to keep up with maintenance. This is just things that need to replace. If you do all this yourself, it already cost a lot of money...
Old 02-20-02, 07:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I see that you live in the snow belt too. On your other car, how often do you have to change the muffler sys.? I live near Philadelphia, not much snow for the last 5 years and I had to change the muffler sys. on my 90 Honda accord EX twice, and my 93 prelude SI once. Now if the Lexus muffler fell off (that's an excuse to upgrade) how much will it set you back? Not going to be cheap like a Honda muffler since you would want OEM or better quality...
Old 02-20-02, 09:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by VQT
I am a DIY too and I don't know about how much you spent on maintenace on your other cars. From my experience, I would agree with him about having ~$2000 on hand every year for maintenance. I do most of the work myself. Just think about it, How often do you replace tires? Say every three years, how much for a set of tire for that year? oil change every 3K, trans. fluid change every 15K (Toyota type T-IV). A/C controller LCD, rpm/speedometor gauges, O2 sensors, doors hinges, timing belt, water pump, sparkplugs, P/S pump, alternator, MAF sensor, TPS...

You might not having to replace all of this in one year. But every year you will have to spend money to keep up with maintenance. This is just things that need to replace. If you do all this yourself, it already cost a lot of money...
sorry dude but if you're spending $2k a year on maintenance unless all that happens to break at once and you go to the dealer; you're getting ripped a new one...

I agree with the above, dealer = last option
they will hardly ever know what they are talking about
that dealer is piling on the BS hoping you'll get a new car or buy an extended warranty... screw him... get the car and thumb your nose at him... these cars are the most reliable cars on the planet

Last edited by Bean; 02-20-02 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-20-02, 09:45 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean

sorry dude but if you're spending $2k a year on maintenance unless all that happens to break at once and you go to the dealer; you're getting ripped a new one...

I agree with the above, dealer = last option
they will hardly ever know what they are talking about
that dealer is piling on the BS hoping you'll get a new car or buy an extended warranty... screw him... get the car and thumb your nose at him... these cars are the most reliable cars on the planet
As I wrote on my last post, that is if you have to fix all of it at once. I also said hopefully that he only have to fix one problem per year.
I don't know how many miles you got on your car. Both of my SC400 are high miles, 125K and 150K and that what I see on things have to replace. I did all the work myself except the timing belt changed. I NEVER take my car to the dealer.
Old 02-20-02, 01:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by VQT

As I wrote on my last post, that is if you have to fix all of it at once. I also said hopefully that he only have to fix one problem per year.
I don't know how many miles you got on your car. Both of my SC400 are high miles, 125K and 150K and that what I see on things have to replace. I did all the work myself except the timing belt changed. I NEVER take my car to the dealer.
i should have seperated what i said; second paragraph was meant to the original poster

and that would suck to have to fix everything in a year
Old 02-20-02, 02:34 PM
RyanSC300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys,

I might take a second look at the SC300 up at the Jag dealership then.

I drive a 97 VW Jetta now, and it goes to the shop maybe once a year, usually only for preventive maintence.

Anyway, anyone know why the trunk lid wouldn't stay open?

There are also some paint chips on the spoiler, and one on the roof, but I think they'll touch these up if I get it.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-20-02, 10:12 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Isn't the Jetta prone to catching on fire and other problems with the electrical system? All vehicles need to be maintained, all parts will wear out eventually, and all have their problems. However, I believe the Lexus luxury, fit and finish, and the overall package far exceeds the only slightly higher parts cost. Yes, slightly higher. Ever seen how much a new Z71 rim costs from the dealership? $450. Nuff said.
Old 02-21-02, 05:39 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean

i should have seperated what i said; second paragraph was meant to the original poster

and that would suck to have to fix everything in a year
Changed the power steering pump late summer, then had to replace the alternator in the winter. If I know the alternator would give out on me, I would change it when the weather was warm. Who crazy enough to change the alternator when it not broken yet

Hope that I don't have to spend any money on maintenance next year. Need money for new stereo sys.
Old 04-04-18, 11:43 AM
3SCs
Driver School Candidate

Owned 3 SC300s - 92, 95,2000: Excluding the big cost maintenance you would do on any long held car (tires, timing & serpentine belts, hoses), in 20 years of ownership have never spent more than $300 a year. This includes oil change & safety inspection twice a year or @ 3000 miles.
Also use Marvel Mystery Oil with every oil change and in every 4th or 5th gas fill. Sold my 92 @ 111,000 miles to buy a one-owner 95 with 50K miles 11 years ago. Just gave my 95 with 114,000 miles to a grandnephew currently in Afghanistan. Bought a one-owner, almost showroom perfect 2000. At 72,000, it had more miles than I would normally consider, but condition so good, didn't want to pass it up. This kind of SC300 is becoming collectible and as an old guy I don't drive more than 3000 miles a year.
Old 04-04-18, 12:27 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

.....That's a 16 year old thread you just necro'd from the grave.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (04-04-18)