SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

engine transplant to a soarer TT or single turbo kit??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-01, 03:09 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

i'm just throwing this one out there. I have found a few soarer engines for sale. (jz-jdm) 2.5 liter TT they include the engine, tranny, ecu, intercooler, harness. they are selling the whole thing for $3200 negotiable.
BUt here's my dilemna i finally have enough money to buy a turbo kit. or i can try this transplant. I was wondering how much it will be for labor to get this bad boy in?? and whether i will have other issues that i can't for see.

Arthur
Old 03-06-01, 06:46 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Smile RE: engine transplant to a soarer TT or single turbo kit??

Arthur,

Glad to see another a true performance connoisseur. Sorry to see that you've got dis-ed by Charlie and RS Akimoto for the intake. You're not the only one.

I know three contractors who are excellent electrical engineers and mechanics. I have a '99 GS with a '00 2JZ-GTE transplant with a single turbo upgrade. By the way, is prospective engine the pre-VVT-i or VVT-i platform. The latter of the two make a difference in wiring harness and transponder issues.

Anyways if you are leaving the car JDM stock the R&I, transplant, and other essential parts should run about $1500. Essential parts I ran across include a turbo fuel pump, additional fuel line (for fuel return), relocating a/c, and some hardpipes. I would recommend you using a aftermarket front mount intercooler since the 1JZ is a single turbo. On the stock platform, the additional computers you would need are a boost controller, turbo timer, HKS Super AFR (not A'Pex'i), blow off valve, and a VPC with the correct chip, HKS Twin Power ignition, exhaust cam gear, and down pipe optional. This should bring the car to 400bhp at the crank. Get rid of the cat and use the downpipe and you'll have 40-50hp. If the turbo is a CT26, it could be rebuilt (safely) with a Garrett compressor wheel to push even more power 600hp. With the upgrade you can safely push the car to 500bhp with the above setup given all the hoses are clamped correctly.

Email me if you have any philosophical issues.
Old 03-06-01, 08:05 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Question I thought...

I thought the 1JZ was a twin turbo...

-Ethan
Old 03-06-01, 09:13 PM
Claw
Driver School Candidate

Default 1jz

The 1JZ-GTE was a twin turbo until late 1996 when Toyota added VVTi and changed over to a single turbo. The quoted power output remained at 280hp. I have been told they swapped to the single turbo to reduce production costs, but it might have also been because the power output would be more than the agreed maximum 280hp limit in Japan if they continued to use the twins with VVTi.

claw
-------------------------------------
93 Soarer 2.5GT-T-L
Old 03-07-01, 05:12 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Question it is a vvt-i and it is TT

IT is the the new vvt-i engine and it is also TT. If anyone is interested i can refer them to the guy who has a bead to these engines. I know he has two on hand. Besides the aftermarket parts that i will need. what about the engine itself or is it prettty much complete in what he is selling?? what about if the engine has a problem at a later date??? where would i get parts?? Japan is a distant place to wait for anything.

Arthur
Old 03-07-01, 09:55 AM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

i considered swapping in the JDM soarer motor... but the costs of install are only one part of it... the fact that you are using a motor not available in the u.s. brings problems with maintenence.. swap in a 2jzgte... more ready bolt on parts in the u.s. than the 2.5L tt soarer motor.. better for the money IMO!

-brian
'92 veilside rsp almost turbo sc300
'01 silver is300
Old 03-07-01, 11:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on your goals. I agree though that swapping the Japan only 2.5 would create service problems above and beyond the engineering challenges and costs of the swap itself. I would go with a turbo system on the factory 3.0 as is. This should be the least expensive route to 400hp. If you want max performance go with the Supra motor/tranny swap.
Old 03-07-01, 11:12 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

BTW, I speak from experience on swaps. I swapped a Ford 5.0 HO into my old TBird TC. This basic engine was available in the TBird chassis. I bought a wrecked 5.0 Mustang for the engine/tranny and all the brackets and support items for $1000. This swap still cost me over $4000 (no turbo stuff) and that was with me doing ALL the labor. Trust me, unless you are VERY interested in that specific swap DO NOT DO IT. You can thank me later
Old 03-07-01, 11:32 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Arthur,

I forgot to mention that you would have to obtain a copy of the engine wiring diagram from a 2.5 Turbo Soarer at best or a 93.5 Supra Twin Turbo. This should be the final part of the equation. As long as the front wiring harness is complete (make sure its complete) you should be ok.

Engine importers usually offer a one year or 15,000 mile warranty on engine parts. Now as for Toyota engines... they are robust! Make sure the depot oils the seals and rings, etc. (should be standard).

About the turbos, I would choose the factory metal compressor turbo (CT-26) over the ceramic compressor twins (CT-20A). Yes, the ceramic twins spool quicker (even quicker than the US twin turbos). However, since the blade is ceramic, it can only withstand so much boost (heat generated). The threshold is 1.3 bar. On the other hand the CT26 on the stock platform can put out 450hp. Now with a modified Garrett wheel, compressor housing CNC machined, turbine wheel clipped 10 degrees 660-900 cfm flow rates can be achieved yeilding 650hp. By the way, the process cost $500 and worth every penny. Last generation MR-2 Turbos have been undergoing these treatment with excellent reliability.

Since you are in Diamond Bar, you wouldn't happen to be buying at V-Spec? In LA I highly recommend Soken and G-Speed for quality and "exotic" engines.