SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does your rear tires worn down fast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02, 11:44 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does your rear tires worn down fast?

I know that tires should be rotated every 5000 miles. That way all four tires wear out evenly. The front tires wear out differenly from the rear tires.

I have all four new BFGoodrich g-force KDWS on last year when I just got the SC400. This KDWS supppose to last more than 50,000 miles for normal driving. The prove is that my front tires look just like new.

I haven't rotated the tires for at least 20K miles. Today I saw that the rear tires are worn down badly. I rarely spin the tires so I don't understand why the rear tires are worn down that fast. The front tires look brand new, and the side are not worn at all (I don't take corner that fast either)
Could this be an alignment problem? the rear tires are worn down evenly unlike the type of alignment issues, worn down on one side...

I don't have this kind of problem with my other cars, rotation that is, and the tires do not worn out like this.

Give me your input on this subject? Do you rotate your tires often? How often do you have to change tires on the SC400?
Old 01-07-02, 12:38 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Arrow

I rotate/balance every 4000 miles and get an alignment every year. I also check my tire pressure every week. The 1st set of tires lasted about 45K miles they were Mich XVGT VR4 225 55 16" or something like that...

I then moved to 17" wheels with Nitto tires and I was about 11K on them before I bent 2 rims. I have Contenetial tires now on the oem rims and they have about 10K on them and they look fine front and rear. The rear wears a lil quick, but I need struts too.
Old 01-07-02, 03:33 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it because our car is RWD?

Better yet, go easy on the gas.

Peter~
Old 01-07-02, 07:23 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by cupete
Is it because our car is RWD?

Better yet, go easy on the gas.

Peter~
I have a Corvette and the rear tires don't wear out that fast I do get on it a lot more than the SC400.

I just don't understand why the SC400 rear tires wear out that quick, and the car has traction control so the rear tires didn't get to spin at all.

Would a faulty struts make the rear tires wear out faster? If it does would it make the tires wear out unevenly? My tires wear evenly. Something is definitely wrong with my car
Old 01-07-02, 07:25 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strangely enough, I seem to wear rear tires pretty badly, too.
Old 01-07-02, 07:44 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
Strangely enough, I seem to wear rear tires pretty badly, too.
But that intentionally
My rear tires wear out without me doing any smoke out or spin the tires. The front tires still have ~4/5 mm of meat on
Old 01-07-02, 09:10 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

unfortunately, mine does wear unevenly as well. i think it happens to all SC's. When my car had stock rims, it wore out on the right rear side wheel. ON the inner side. My left rim/tire set up is fine, but only the right side. I lowered the car w/ eibachs and put in new tokico's, but still get the uneven wear. The front are fine w/out the alignment, but it's only the rear tires. it butterflies a little bit too. My friend has the new GS430 and he has the same problem. i wonder why???

the only thing that i do is check my pressure every week and get an alignment every six months. better forking out 50 bucks now, rather than worry about my 600+ tires every 10,000 miles. If you find a cure, please let me know too! thanks
Old 01-08-02, 03:34 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

We need to take a poll on this right rear tire. At least you have the same problem as mine, but my right rear wear out pretty evenly.

So who says Lexus are the best engineering car?

Originally posted by do-luck sc
unfortunately, mine does wear unevenly as well. i think it happens to all SC's. When my car had stock rims, it wore out on the right rear side wheel. ON the inner side. My left rim/tire set up is fine, but only the right side. I lowered the car w/ eibachs and put in new tokico's, but still get the uneven wear. The front are fine w/out the alignment, but it's only the rear tires. it butterflies a little bit too. My friend has the new GS430 and he has the same problem. i wonder why???

the only thing that i do is check my pressure every week and get an alignment every six months. better forking out 50 bucks now, rather than worry about my 600+ tires every 10,000 miles. If you find a cure, please let me know too! thanks
Old 01-08-02, 03:40 PM
cupete
Pole Position

I don't think not all SC owners are experiencing the uneven tire wear problem. For instance, I have Yokohama tires (235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear) and I have no problem with tires wearing unevenly. I have about 20,000 miles on these tires and I think I could get another 20,000+ miles on these.

Peter~
Old 01-08-02, 04:48 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Well.....

I got a LX450 and my front tires appear new and the rear ones almost need to be replaced! Maybe it has somthing to do with my horrible alignment, how I have to turn the wheel a 1/8th of the way to the left to go straight and it vibrates like a bed at a cheap motel above 70.
Old 01-08-02, 05:12 PM
928owner
Driver

Unhappy

I have never been able to get more than 20k mikes on the two sets of Goodrich Gforce tires I have bought for this car. The insides wear faster than the rest of the tires. The tires that came with the car (Goodyears) didn't fare much better. The left rear actually blew out. It may have been the fact that the Lexus dealer had tires with a date of manufacture which was 9 years ago. They supplied the car with 50 series tires as well. I have had the car aligned every six months, and they still wore out too quickly. These are not cheap tires. Tire Rack has some Kuhmos which are much cheaper and have a better review than than the G force tires, so that is what I will try next. The SC is just a heavy car which seems to suffer from this problem. BTW I am using 225/50/16's on GS chrome rims. Why by expensive tires if they will wear out every six months?
Old 01-08-02, 06:31 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

--Originally posted by 928owner [/i]
I have never been able to get more than 20k mikes on the two sets of Goodrich Gforce tires I have bought for this car. The insides wear faster than the rest of the tires. The tires that came with the car (Goodyears) didn't fare much better

I have 245-50-16 BFGoodrich g-force KDWS not KDW. KDW tires don't last as long as the KDWS because it is a better performance tire than the KDWS, that's why I am asking the question. I know that the car is heavier than other cars but wouldn't the tires wear out faster on all fours? Why does it only wear out the rear with only 20K miles on.

I don't think 928 tires would wear out that fast. It is a front engine rear wheel drive also.

I have BFGoodrich ZR tires on my 1988 Corvette with more than 30K miles on and the tires still have a lot of meat on. This tire has the tread rating of 200 while the KDWS tead rating as 400

--They supplied the car with 50 series tires as well. I have had the car aligned every six months, and they still wore out too quickly. These are not cheap tires.

So it is true that some SC400 has problem with rear tire wear out fast

--Tire Rack has some Kuhmos which are much cheaper and have a better review than than the G force tires, so that is what I will try next. C BTW I am using 225/50/16's on GS chrome rims. Why by expensive tires if they will wear out every six months?
[/QUOTE]

I think 225-50-16 give your car a less over all diameter for the tires and it can affect the ABS system

Did you make sure that the alignment shop do all 4 wheels when you get the car aligned?

BTW, my Nakamichi sudently start working ~4 weeks ago. Let hope it keep on playing for a while

VQT
Old 01-09-02, 07:54 AM
928owner
Driver

VQT,
Glad to hear about your Nak! Good deal. The 928 only gets driven ocassionaly, so that is not a big deal. Maybe 5k a year. It was my project which I put back together for "therapy". Tire wear is not a factor to me on that car.

I do have KDWS tires as well. I always get four wheel alignments, the last at Mission Viejo Lexus, and they offer no warranty on their alighnments (per a service rep.) Keep in mind that Longo Lexus sold me this car with 50 series tires on it (be it they were 9 years old). If the ABS would have been affected, they should have known that. After all, it was supposed to be "certified", and I am sure they do a crack job making sure it is truly certified, right?

I never had very good luck with this Lexus. A lot of money has been spent fixing crap, and the parts are not cheap ( I do most of my own work). I would not buy another, but until I determine a replacement, it is my daily driver.

Take care, and good luck with your SC (and Nak).
Old 01-09-02, 08:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

"I do have KDWS tires as well. I always get four wheel alignments, the last at Mission Viejo Lexus, and they offer no warranty on their alighnments (per a service rep.) Keep in mind that Longo Lexus sold me this car with 50 series tires on it (be it they were 9 years old). If the ABS would have been affected, they should have known that. After all, it was supposed to be "certified", and I am sure they do a crack job making sure it is truly certified, right?"

Yeah right "certified", Recommend 245-50-16 on your next set or go back to the original 225-55-16. The overall diameter of the tire is where the odometer calculate the miles driven. As for the ABS I don't really know how it work, but I remember something about the exact diameter for the wheel for the ABS to function properly. Then again now that I know you live in San Diego, you don't need traction control or ABS any way

"I never had very good luck with this Lexus. A lot of money has been spent fixing crap, and the parts are not cheap ( I do most of my own work). I would not buy another, but until I determine a replacement, it is my daily driver."

I do most of the work myself too. I begin to have second thought about SC400 too.

We're are originally from LA, now my wife wants to move back to CA this summer. I am thinking about San Diego if I can find a job there.
Old 01-09-02, 08:50 AM
928owner
Driver

Talking

VQT,

245/50 series? How will the width afect the diameter. If a 245/50 is the same as the 225/55's I will definetly get that size, but my understanding is the diameter is determined by the series number.

Actually, I live in Dana Point, only work in SD county. This is a great place to live though and I can see why you would want to come back.

BTW, I have also replaced the mirror computer, the heater valve, the alternator, the PS pump, headlights, and other $$ odds and ends which I believed should have not failed so quickly (at about 55k miles). You would expect better from a name which is supposed to be recongnized as Quality. Perhaps their definition of quality is differnt than mine.

Quick Reply: Does your rear tires worn down fast?