Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 10:26 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biddles
Guys I need some quick help, I'm about to buy some used 2007 IS250 17" OEM wheels. I believe they are 45 offset, and 8" wide. Will these rub anything on stock SC400 set up?
Yes, these will fit fine with no problems
Old 07-21-14, 12:40 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

18 x 9" wide. 235 or 245? Don't want stretch but I want to be able to see the lip, even if just slightly.
Old 07-23-14, 01:18 PM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any pictures of a 275/285/295, 40/45 on a 12.5? I just flared my sc and I want to run a meatier tire. Currently I'm running a 265/35. Thanks I'm just trying to fill out my flares and have more of an aggressive look. Also any recommendations besides nittos? (I usually run federal 595ss but they don't make the size I need. I'm wanting a tire that's decent, and grippy, but not 300 a tire 😑
Old 07-23-14, 11:04 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GISguy
18 x 9" wide. 235 or 245? Don't want stretch but I want to be able to see the lip, even if just slightly.
235 might have a small stretch but 245 will fit perfect with no stretch at all
Old 07-28-14, 09:21 AM
DaBunny
Driver School Candidate

Completely overwhelmed by this thread. I just want new tires. :-)

1993 SC300 (original owner). I typically go into the store, tell them what car I have, and accept their recommendation. The owner's manual gives this tire spec (and I quote):

215/60R15 94V, 215/60R15 93V

Most of my driving is around town, although I do drive 160 miles per week on a relatively fast, winding mountain highway. I plan to get the tires at Costco. Bridgestones are on sale right now, and I need them this week because I'm taking a long trip in a couple of weeks. Any recommendation for a tire size that Costco might have in Bridgestones? (And, no, I don't plan on modifying my car, as you might have guessed).

Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-28-14, 12:36 PM
DoYuEvenSc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaBunny
Completely overwhelmed by this thread. I just want new tires. :-)

1993 SC300 (original owner). I typically go into the store, tell them what car I have, and accept their recommendation. The owner's manual gives this tire spec (and I quote):

215/60R15 94V, 215/60R15 93V

Most of my driving is around town, although I do drive 160 miles per week on a relatively fast, winding mountain highway. I plan to get the tires at Costco. Bridgestones are on sale right now, and I need them this week because I'm taking a long trip in a couple of weeks. Any recommendation for a tire size that Costco might have in Bridgestones? (And, no, I don't plan on modifying my car, as you might have guessed).

Thanks a bunch.
Your car should tell you what tire size you should be running on your stock wheels. It should be on the driver's side door on the inside. Running factory specs on your stocks are the best recommendations. Hope this helps
Old 07-28-14, 08:57 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

First set of replacements ran 225s all the way around instead of the 215s. Rode just fine and just a bit larger than stock so speedo a bit off (like 1 to 2 mph); steered and cornered fine. No issues with the stock rims. Would not go much wider without other changes (wheels, suspension, etc).

Current setup for my car is now way radical from stock and traded ride comfort for looks and cornering abilities way beyond anything before....

Good luck on your choice....
Old 07-29-14, 02:24 PM
SOARER525
Driver School Candidate

245! I have 245 on mine if you want to check out my pics.
I have 245/40/18x9 and a 275/40/18x10 Rear
Originally Posted by bigwes
235 might have a small stretch but 245 will fit perfect with no stretch at all
Old 08-07-14, 05:02 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Do you guys think i can fit it without a pull? I will be running on 295s but these are 13.5" wheels so itll be a stretch. Im sure there will be more camber once its sitting on the ground with tires.

Old 08-08-14, 10:36 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Im pretty sure ur gonna need a pull for a 13.5" wheel. Whats the offset?
Old 08-09-14, 09:45 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is that legal ?

i think it's a bit too wide imo
Old 08-09-14, 03:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by markesc
Just an FYI, the 2006 GS 430 wheels do clear the TT brakes by 1mm at the closest point to the hub, and about 2-3mm on the face of the caliper...
10-year old post response warning. (Post #605, coincidentally, also an Oregonian.)

I picked up a set of '95 LS400 front brake calipers, but as I read up on what's involved in the swap, I'm thinking I may have fitment issues. I have '98-02 17" GS430 wheels like these. Most of the info I've been able to find is regarding putting LS400 / Supra TT brakes on a GS car, which apparently requires a RCA spacer. Info on fitting GS wheels over said calipers on a SC is a different matter, since it's purely a question of wheel-caliper clearance.

That's a bit off-topic for this thread, but I was hoping someone could lend some insight into how to determine if my wheels will clear the calipers, short of doing a test install and seeing if they hit. Would I have to measure center-front edge depth of the caliper and compare that to the SC ones, and try to measure the closest point from the inside of the wheel to the caliper (lots of places to introduce small but significant measurement errors!), or is there a better way?

This is the most conclusive answer I've found so far:

Q: Will you need spacers if you are running ls400 brakes with 17" gs wheels?
A: Yes. Even LS400 calipers will require spacers when using stock 17s.

I'm still not sure if that's referring to regular wheel spacers or the RCA spacers needed on GS cars, though. It's an unfortunate overlap in terminology.

I'd rather not add regular wheel spacers if I can avoid it, although it would look better than the high offset stockies. Two reasons: 1) so much disagreement on the safety of running spacers, and 2) I have a bad stud in the back that we haven't figured out how to remove yet with the pressed-on hub, and it would look funky to have spacers up front but not in back!

Edit 1: I eyeballed it while cleaning up the new calipers, and it may be as much as 1/4" to 1/2" too tight between the caliper and wheel. Probably too big of a discrepancy to be worth more detailed measuring, let alone a test mounting, unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit 2: I found a post in another thread saying that 67mm is needed between rotor and back of wheel, and mine is more like 45mm, so I need a full 1" spacer to have only minimal (3mm) clearance. Yikes.

Edit 3: I've run across that 67mm figure a few times now, but also a post saying it's a bit misleading because of differences in rotor face depth between the LS and SC. The actual depth needed to clear the calipers is more like 64mm. Also, my 45mm measurement may be a bit conservative, given where I measured at radially. There could be as much as 50mm there, meaning a 15-20mm space would suffice, rather than 25mm.

Last edited by t2d2; 08-12-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-09-14, 09:18 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so i have 18x8 g35 oem rims. I have the staggered tire setup but was wondering if i could change to non staggered tires. If so what sizes would be best?
Old 08-10-14, 01:34 PM
toyoboy120
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
10-year old post response warning. (Post #605, coincidentally, also an Oregonian.)

I picked up a set of '95 LS400 front brake calipers, but as I read up on what's involved in the swap, I'm thinking I may have fitment issues. I have '98-02 17" GS430 wheels like these. Most of the info I've been able to find is regarding putting LS400 / Supra TT brakes on a GS car, which apparently requires a RCA spacer. Info on fitting GS wheels over said calipers on a SC is a different matter, since it's purely a question of wheel-caliper clearance.

That's a bit off-topic for this thread, but I was hoping someone could lend some insight into how to determine if my wheels will clear the calipers, short of doing a test install and seeing if they hit. Would I have to measure center-front edge depth of the caliper and compare that to the SC ones, and try to measure the closest point from the inside of the wheel to the caliper (lots of places to introduce small but significant measurement errors!), or is there a better way?

This is the most conclusive answer I've found so far:

Q: Will you need spacers if you are running ls400 brakes with 17" gs wheels?
A: Yes. Even LS400 calipers will require spacers when using stock 17s.

I'm still not sure if that's referring to regular wheel spacers or the RCA spacers needed on GS cars, though. It's an unfortunate overlap in terminology.

I'd rather not add regular wheel spacers if I can avoid it, although it would look better than the high offset stockies. Two reasons: 1) so much disagreement on the safety of running spacers, and 2) I have a bad stud in the back that we haven't figured out how to remove yet with the pressed-on hub, and it would look funky to have spacers up front but not in back!

Edit 1: I eyeballed it while cleaning up the new calipers, and it may be as much as 1/4" to 1/2" too tight between the caliper and wheel. Probably too big of a discrepancy to be worth more detailed measuring, let alone a test mounting, unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit 2: I found a post in another thread saying that 67mm is needed between rotor and back of wheel, and mine is more like 45mm, so I need a full 1" spacer to have only minimal (3mm) clearance. Yikes.
There is nothing wrong with spacers when used properly. I have used them for years on all different types of vehicles. Race cars use them all the time as well. Honestly I feel the bolt on ones are the best.
Old 08-10-14, 03:00 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by toyoboy120
There is nothing wrong with spacers when used properly. I have used them for years on all different types of vehicles. Race cars use them all the time as well. Honestly I feel the bolt on ones are the best.
Good to hear, thanks. However, I've read the "race cars use them" rationale before and find that somewhat less than compelling. Reason being, race cars tend to be torn down and rebuilt regularly. I'm a "set it and forget it" type. Yes, I'm doing a lot of work on the car right now, but once most of the issues are sorted out, I could easily see myself going a couple of years without taking the wheels off to check that the spacers are snugged up.

I haven't made up my mind yet and have been looking for wheel alternatives and spacer options, though.

Oh, another thing that has me confused is the talk of SCs being designed for +50 offset (same as my GS wheels) and anything lower than +35 will mess with suspension and steering geometry. That means you can only move the wheel out 15mm from stock before having adverse effects, and that's 10mm shy of clearing the LS400 calipers which many here have. Are the drawbacks overstated?

Part of it must have to do with wheel width and how offset relates to the center line of a wider wheel, but my GS wheels are 17x8 and I've seen the Supra TT fronts listed as the identical 17x8 and +50. How do those clear the LS400 calipers when other stock wheels of the same measurement don't come even close? I can't make any sense of that.

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****