****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400**** - Page 357 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

     
Old 12-12-14, 04:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
 
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-14, 10:26 AM   #5341
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddles View Post
Guys I need some quick help, I'm about to buy some used 2007 IS250 17" OEM wheels. I believe they are 45 offset, and 8" wide. Will these rub anything on stock SC400 set up?
Yes, these will fit fine with no problems
bigwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 12:40 PM   #5342
GISguy
Pole Position
 
GISguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

18 x 9" wide. 235 or 245? Don't want stretch but I want to be able to see the lip, even if just slightly.
GISguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:18 PM   #5343
LameSC300
Pole Position
 
LameSC300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone have any pictures of a 275/285/295, 40/45 on a 12.5? I just flared my sc and I want to run a meatier tire. Currently I'm running a 265/35. Thanks I'm just trying to fill out my flares and have more of an aggressive look. Also any recommendations besides nittos? (I usually run federal 595ss but they don't make the size I need. I'm wanting a tire that's decent, and grippy, but not 300 a tire 😑
LameSC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 11:04 PM   #5344
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISguy View Post
18 x 9" wide. 235 or 245? Don't want stretch but I want to be able to see the lip, even if just slightly.
235 might have a small stretch but 245 will fit perfect with no stretch at all
bigwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:21 AM   #5345
DaBunny
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Completely overwhelmed by this thread. I just want new tires. :-)

1993 SC300 (original owner). I typically go into the store, tell them what car I have, and accept their recommendation. The owner's manual gives this tire spec (and I quote):

215/60R15 94V, 215/60R15 93V

Most of my driving is around town, although I do drive 160 miles per week on a relatively fast, winding mountain highway. I plan to get the tires at Costco. Bridgestones are on sale right now, and I need them this week because I'm taking a long trip in a couple of weeks. Any recommendation for a tire size that Costco might have in Bridgestones? (And, no, I don't plan on modifying my car, as you might have guessed).

Thanks a bunch.
DaBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 12:36 PM   #5346
DoYuEvenSc
Driver School Candidate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Californa
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBunny View Post
Completely overwhelmed by this thread. I just want new tires. :-)

1993 SC300 (original owner). I typically go into the store, tell them what car I have, and accept their recommendation. The owner's manual gives this tire spec (and I quote):

215/60R15 94V, 215/60R15 93V

Most of my driving is around town, although I do drive 160 miles per week on a relatively fast, winding mountain highway. I plan to get the tires at Costco. Bridgestones are on sale right now, and I need them this week because I'm taking a long trip in a couple of weeks. Any recommendation for a tire size that Costco might have in Bridgestones? (And, no, I don't plan on modifying my car, as you might have guessed).

Thanks a bunch.
Your car should tell you what tire size you should be running on your stock wheels. It should be on the driver's side door on the inside. Running factory specs on your stocks are the best recommendations. Hope this helps
DoYuEvenSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:57 PM   #5347
Duck05
Lexus Test Driver
 
Duck05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,141
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

First set of replacements ran 225s all the way around instead of the 215s. Rode just fine and just a bit larger than stock so speedo a bit off (like 1 to 2 mph); steered and cornered fine. No issues with the stock rims. Would not go much wider without other changes (wheels, suspension, etc).

Current setup for my car is now way radical from stock and traded ride comfort for looks and cornering abilities way beyond anything before....

Good luck on your choice....
Duck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 02:24 PM   #5348
SOARER525
Driver School Candidate
iTrader: (2)
 
SOARER525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

245! I have 245 on mine if you want to check out my pics.
I have 245/40/18x9 and a 275/40/18x10 Rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes View Post
235 might have a small stretch but 245 will fit perfect with no stretch at all
SOARER525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 05:02 PM   #5349
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (13)
 
soarer13oy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do you guys think i can fit it without a pull? I will be running on 295s but these are 13.5" wheels so itll be a stretch. Im sure there will be more camber once its sitting on the ground with tires.

soarer13oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 10:36 PM   #5350
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^^ Im pretty sure ur gonna need a pull for a 13.5" wheel. Whats the offset?
bigwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:45 AM   #5351
Sc400NL
Pole Position
 
Sc400NL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 251
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

is that legal ?

i think it's a bit too wide imo
Sc400NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 03:19 PM   #5352
t2d2
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
t2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Location: Location!
Posts: 3,665
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesc View Post
Just an FYI, the 2006 GS 430 wheels do clear the TT brakes by 1mm at the closest point to the hub, and about 2-3mm on the face of the caliper...
10-year old post response warning. (Post #605, coincidentally, also an Oregonian.)

I picked up a set of '95 LS400 front brake calipers, but as I read up on what's involved in the swap, I'm thinking I may have fitment issues. I have '98-02 17" GS430 wheels like these. Most of the info I've been able to find is regarding putting LS400 / Supra TT brakes on a GS car, which apparently requires a RCA spacer. Info on fitting GS wheels over said calipers on a SC is a different matter, since it's purely a question of wheel-caliper clearance.

That's a bit off-topic for this thread, but I was hoping someone could lend some insight into how to determine if my wheels will clear the calipers, short of doing a test install and seeing if they hit. Would I have to measure center-front edge depth of the caliper and compare that to the SC ones, and try to measure the closest point from the inside of the wheel to the caliper (lots of places to introduce small but significant measurement errors!), or is there a better way?

This is the most conclusive answer I've found so far:

Q: Will you need spacers if you are running ls400 brakes with 17" gs wheels?
A: Yes. Even LS400 calipers will require spacers when using stock 17s.

I'm still not sure if that's referring to regular wheel spacers or the RCA spacers needed on GS cars, though. It's an unfortunate overlap in terminology.

I'd rather not add regular wheel spacers if I can avoid it, although it would look better than the high offset stockies. Two reasons: 1) so much disagreement on the safety of running spacers, and 2) I have a bad stud in the back that we haven't figured out how to remove yet with the pressed-on hub, and it would look funky to have spacers up front but not in back!

Edit 1: I eyeballed it while cleaning up the new calipers, and it may be as much as 1/4" to 1/2" too tight between the caliper and wheel. Probably too big of a discrepancy to be worth more detailed measuring, let alone a test mounting, unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit 2: I found a post in another thread saying that 67mm is needed between rotor and back of wheel, and mine is more like 45mm, so I need a full 1" spacer to have only minimal (3mm) clearance. Yikes.

Edit 3: I've run across that 67mm figure a few times now, but also a post saying it's a bit misleading because of differences in rotor face depth between the LS and SC. The actual depth needed to clear the calipers is more like 64mm. Also, my 45mm measurement may be a bit conservative, given where I measured at radially. There could be as much as 50mm there, meaning a 15-20mm space would suffice, rather than 25mm.

Last edited by t2d2; 08-12-14 at 01:49 PM.
t2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:18 PM   #5353
SC510
Pole Position
 
SC510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 267
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

so i have 18x8 g35 oem rims. I have the staggered tire setup but was wondering if i could change to non staggered tires. If so what sizes would be best?
SC510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 01:34 PM   #5354
toyoboy120
Rookie
 
toyoboy120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2d2 View Post
10-year old post response warning. (Post #605, coincidentally, also an Oregonian.)

I picked up a set of '95 LS400 front brake calipers, but as I read up on what's involved in the swap, I'm thinking I may have fitment issues. I have '98-02 17" GS430 wheels like these. Most of the info I've been able to find is regarding putting LS400 / Supra TT brakes on a GS car, which apparently requires a RCA spacer. Info on fitting GS wheels over said calipers on a SC is a different matter, since it's purely a question of wheel-caliper clearance.

That's a bit off-topic for this thread, but I was hoping someone could lend some insight into how to determine if my wheels will clear the calipers, short of doing a test install and seeing if they hit. Would I have to measure center-front edge depth of the caliper and compare that to the SC ones, and try to measure the closest point from the inside of the wheel to the caliper (lots of places to introduce small but significant measurement errors!), or is there a better way?

This is the most conclusive answer I've found so far:

Q: Will you need spacers if you are running ls400 brakes with 17" gs wheels?
A: Yes. Even LS400 calipers will require spacers when using stock 17s.

I'm still not sure if that's referring to regular wheel spacers or the RCA spacers needed on GS cars, though. It's an unfortunate overlap in terminology.

I'd rather not add regular wheel spacers if I can avoid it, although it would look better than the high offset stockies. Two reasons: 1) so much disagreement on the safety of running spacers, and 2) I have a bad stud in the back that we haven't figured out how to remove yet with the pressed-on hub, and it would look funky to have spacers up front but not in back!

Edit 1: I eyeballed it while cleaning up the new calipers, and it may be as much as 1/4" to 1/2" too tight between the caliper and wheel. Probably too big of a discrepancy to be worth more detailed measuring, let alone a test mounting, unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit 2: I found a post in another thread saying that 67mm is needed between rotor and back of wheel, and mine is more like 45mm, so I need a full 1" spacer to have only minimal (3mm) clearance. Yikes.
There is nothing wrong with spacers when used properly. I have used them for years on all different types of vehicles. Race cars use them all the time as well. Honestly I feel the bolt on ones are the best.
toyoboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 03:00 PM   #5355
t2d2
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
t2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Location: Location!
Posts: 3,665
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyoboy120 View Post
There is nothing wrong with spacers when used properly. I have used them for years on all different types of vehicles. Race cars use them all the time as well. Honestly I feel the bolt on ones are the best.
Good to hear, thanks. However, I've read the "race cars use them" rationale before and find that somewhat less than compelling. Reason being, race cars tend to be torn down and rebuilt regularly. I'm a "set it and forget it" type. Yes, I'm doing a lot of work on the car right now, but once most of the issues are sorted out, I could easily see myself going a couple of years without taking the wheels off to check that the spacers are snugged up.

I haven't made up my mind yet and have been looking for wheel alternatives and spacer options, though.

Oh, another thing that has me confused is the talk of SCs being designed for +50 offset (same as my GS wheels) and anything lower than +35 will mess with suspension and steering geometry. That means you can only move the wheel out 15mm from stock before having adverse effects, and that's 10mm shy of clearing the LS400 calipers which many here have. Are the drawbacks overstated?

Part of it must have to do with wheel width and how offset relates to the center line of a wider wheel, but my GS wheels are 17x8 and I've seen the Supra TT fronts listed as the identical 17x8 and +50. How do those clear the LS400 calipers when other stock wheels of the same measurement don't come even close? I can't make any sense of that.
t2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TIEN Street Advance Z cuongiee Suspension and Brakes 16 03-23-17 06:07 PM
18x10 +12 offset with roll and stretch ? jwynn SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 3 03-17-16 03:31 PM
Getting a handle on wheel sizing & offsets A Preliminary Guide DS2k IS F (2008-2014) 26 09-18-15 01:29 PM
Ordering CCW Classics this week. Need Fitment Help UpInTheLex SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 7 07-11-11 02:15 PM
Does anyone have 20x9.5 rear wheels with a 40 offset? jjbenzo GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 17 08-03-07 12:01 PM


Tags
20x10, 40, 5x1145, back, bolt, fit, kdw2, pattern, sc300, sc400, size, stretched, stud, tire, wheel, wheels, widest

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send