SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Question and a Comment

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-01, 02:30 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question and a Comment

Ok, I have a little bit of a situation and I would appreciate input from you guys because I respect your opinions. I have a 95 RX-7 single turbo (and a 98 SC300), and I have been actively looking at another car to purchase and off the RX-7. I went to look at a Honda S2000 last night and was not very impressed, this afternoon I looked at a beautiful artic white NSX. The NSX is a 93 with 41,xxx miles on it. It look like it is right off the showroom floor. Something about the NSX has always stirred me and I have always wanted one and now seems like a good time to get it. For some reason though, I am having second thoughts about it and want to hold on to the RX-7. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? I would appreciate any feedback....the people I work with are too stuffy to discuss this kinda important ****.
Old 12-07-01, 02:40 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Question and a Comment

Originally posted by JohnnySC
Ok, I have a little bit of a situation and I would appreciate input from you guys because I respect your opinions. I have a 95 RX-7 single turbo (and a 98 SC300), and I have been actively looking at another car to purchase and off the RX-7. I went to look at a Honda S2000 last night and was not very impressed, this afternoon I looked at a beautiful artic white NSX. The NSX is a 93 with 41,xxx miles on it. It look like it is right off the showroom floor. Something about the NSX has always stirred me and I have always wanted one and now seems like a good time to get it. For some reason though, I am having second thoughts about it and want to hold on to the RX-7. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? I would appreciate any feedback....the people I work with are too stuffy to discuss this kinda important ****.
Let me think about that. NSX or RX7? I would take the NSX. Reliability, handling, sexy curves, 0 to ******* in 6 sec. Nuff said, get the NSX. It is pretty damn slow of a car at high speed, but otherwise it's badass.
Old 12-07-01, 02:45 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Johnny:
I too have always liked the NSX and have always contemplated finding a nice used one that I could afford. Someday I may do that after my son is finished with college. One of my firends had an 97 red one and it was stolen three times, the last time it was not recovered. Its design may have something to do with why it was stolen so many times. He now has a Boxster for 3 years and it has not been lifted.

What is it that has caused you to have second opinions about it? Upkeep? Insurance costs? Parts availability and price? I have seen quite a few real nice ones go for sale on ebay in the $30-40K range. I am not sure I can get a set of golf clubs in the trunk 8-).
Old 12-07-01, 07:43 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

NSX is the only japenese car that is compared at the exotic car class. (in the U.S atleast)

always nice to see one on the road

how much are they tring to sell it for?
Old 12-07-01, 09:52 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Johnny SC,

The NSX is a good car not, to mention somewhat exotic. The NSX has it's own specific factory in Japn. Meaning, the factory only builds the NSX specifically. It took a long time to design the NSX and it is still a headturner. It's performance is good and easy to deal with. The only problem I would have is the trunk space. There isn't any except for a slim briefcase and the seat next to you. Otherwise, what is holding you back? If you love the RX-7 that much then, keep it. RX-7s I see all the time but, an NSX maybe once a week I may see. I have some friends who are NSX enthusiast and if you need any info. Let me know.
Old 12-08-01, 01:46 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The repair costs are going to be mind-boggling. My cuz has a 1991 NSX... 5500 bucks to rebuild his transmission... a new one is like 8... I don't think he's been able to pony up the money yet. The NSX is a slick car, but it's not real fast or very safe. One car I'd personally avoid. Same for the BMW 850, my SC400 alternative.. repair prices were just too damn high.
Old 12-08-01, 02:26 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
The repair costs are going to be mind-boggling. My cuz has a 1991 NSX... 5500 bucks to rebuild his transmission... a new one is like 8... I don't think he's been able to pony up the money yet. The NSX is a slick car, but it's not real fast or very safe. One car I'd personally avoid. Same for the BMW 850, my SC400 alternative.. repair prices were just too damn high.
I agree about the 850I. The transmission problem must be a automatic. Most of the NSXs I know are stick. Never heard really any bad problems about the trans. Was it an automatic trans MadMax?

What you could do is check out the NHTSA website for factory recalls and how many complaints the car has but, every car has a complaint just make sire you evaluate whether they are serious or not.

Last edited by black sc; 12-08-01 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-08-01, 06:38 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

They are trying to unload the 93 NSX for 36k, and that is a pretty decent price I think. My fear is that if something was to go wrong with the car I am going to have to pay up the *** to get it repaired. Don't get me wrong, the RX-7 is plenty expense to fix as well, but atleast I have made some contacts with the car and have been able to get parts discounted and what not. I am going to look at it one more time today, but honestly I think I am just going to keep the RX-7.
Old 12-10-01, 04:30 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The NSX is a great car; my friend had one. Less than a year later, he got rid of it. He had some problems and the car was in the shop more than on the road. His was covered under warrenty, but still, very inconvient.

I'd say enjoy the RX for another year, then get the RX-8 when it comes out next sept (if all goes well). It should be in your price range, and its a N/A engine, so it won't have the engine reliability problems of the third gen. Have you seen the pics - suicide doors - very interesting curves too.

Clean up the 95' a little and sell it to a private owner next year. They still are going for a pretty penny here in Orlando.

All of the cars you mentioned are nice cars, so get what you like.

Keith
Old 12-10-01, 07:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:laughing:

don't try and compare handling of a NSX to a 3rd gen RX-7... the NSX is so totally out of its league its not even funny...

not to mention it doesn't even come to close to being as fast as the single turbo 7...

the NSX is an overpriced automobile, it looks REALLY good and its reliable... but its slow and doesn't handle that great compared to other cars... like the 3rd gen RX-7 or MR2 turbo or Supra Turbo, etc
Old 12-10-01, 10:42 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll get the NSX... So are we saying that low 13 quarter miles times are slow? We had this debate a while ago about the NSX...

try this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=18338

Check out www.NSXprime.com for more info about the Japanese exotic...

If I could get one right now I would... Without any hesitation...

Good luck,

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-10-01 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-10-01, 11:33 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

I'd stick with the RX-7, espescially since you've gone single turbo.

IMNSHO, the RX-7 is a much better looking car, and has more potential for less $, and yours is probably a whole whole lot faster. Reliability? Not as wonderful as the Honda, but are you buying it to drive daily?