SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 04:41 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by VQT

Ther must be a way to check the sensor. I don't know if LS and SC are the same or not. I would assume it is. I'll check on the manual tomorrow.

Tell me more, describe what you did and where is it so I have an idea what you're talking about.
(
Ok, the manual shows the sensor relay on the left side of the front of the luggage compartment. There is no check for the sensor. but there is a check for the circuits to the lights. My number one yellow wire shows open, meaning that I am not getting power to my trunk mounted stop lights, and the idiot light on the dash comes on. By the sounds of it, others on the board are having problems with continuity in the wires also. The rear lights are all fed from the light sensor. I just got back from the hardware store and I am going to try to test again and see where the wire loses continuity. Usually it is at connector junctions. If so, I will have to take apart the connector and rewire. I hope this is not the case. Anyway I'll let you know so that this can be documented and of some avail to the next poor sap trying to fix a wiring problem. I also have a wiring problem with my front doors and the dome light. I will tackle that next.
Old 11-29-01, 08:39 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Keith13b
I have a problem very similar. My lil' orange car in the dash is on as well. One of my brake lights is out. After taking apart the lens assembly I find out the bulb and socket is fine, the ground wire is fine, but no power seems to come to the bulb via the wire harness. I do not have a manual (desperatly searching for a lower cost one). Does anyone else have experience with this. Possibly a fuse or a loose connection somewhere in the front of the car?

Ideas?

Keith
Ok I have solved the problem and no more dash warning light and the stop lights on the trunk now work fine. Keith13 and VQT, here is what happens with the SC and the LS in regards to the rear lights and the sensor. As I mentioned before in earlier posts, the light sensor is located in the left front of the luggage compartment. You cannot test the sensor, but you can test your harness coming off the sensor. I found an open on my #1 yellow wire. I pulled the end connections on the harness and they both seemed tight. I then followed the harness back to the top of the trunk and found a plastic radius with a plastic cover that bends the harness before it goes into the channel on the hinge into the trunk. I pulled off the plastic cap, and found that three wires had simply been pulled in half because the radius was too tight. Obviously this was a bad design. I spliced in some new wire and positive connectors, taped it up, and it works perfectly and no more orange light on the dash. Keith, just untape the radius where the harness goes into the left trunk hinge, and look at the wire, and you will find that your green wire is pulled in half. Easy fix. 1/2 hour. Troubleshooting about 5 hours! If you have any questions let me know. I will now tackle my interior foot and dome lights to find out their problems. I think I will look at the door harness entries first!
Old 11-30-01, 07:58 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that you found the problem