Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Door won't open - From Inside or Outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 09:44 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door won't open - From Inside or Outside

My wife tried to open the passenger side door at the same time that I pressed the unlock button on the remote and now the door won't open - period. The lock indicator by the handle is stuck halfway. I had some issues with this door in the past but was still able to open the door using the inside handle. I did some research on the boards and the few times this came up - no one really had a viable solution. I'm going to call a locksmith in the morning to see if they can jimmy it open. Man this sucks. I'm probably going to be stuck buying a new door lock actuator which isn't cheap. I'll let you all know what happens. . .
Old 01-28-06, 09:38 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried manually manuevering the lock open or closed?
If you can get it either way it might loosen up again. This used to happen alot to me because my friends are dumb.
Old 01-28-06, 10:47 AM
soarer5780
Lead Lap

i agree with KOMA that happen to me once and i just manually move it and it was find
Old 01-28-06, 03:58 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Okay, I went to bed last night and when I got up this morning I tried playing with the lock a bit more and I guess it fell back into place - because now it is working. Man, I had visions of ripping my door panel off from the inside. I'm probably still going to source a used lock actuator as this will invariably happen again. But it's good for now. Thanks.
Old 01-28-06, 04:41 PM
shocker2
Rookie

same happened to me on my mr2...the girlfriend had a problem with pulling the handle before I had finished unlocking it....ended up being a big fight when she broke the actuator and I had to take the seats out to get room to get the door panel off and then had to still call a locksmith...what a pain....good to see you got it working...
Old 01-28-06, 10:45 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomis
Okay, I went to bed last night and when I got up this morning I tried playing with the lock a bit more and I guess it fell back into place - because now it is working. Man, I had visions of ripping my door panel off from the inside. I'm probably still going to source a used lock actuator as this will invariably happen again. But it's good for now. Thanks.
The problem might not be the actuator, try this out first. It's also very common for your lock symptom. The little white plastic piece that hold the cable inside the door panel might have been half-way broken. Therefore, it locks up sometimes when you open the door electronically and someones opens it manually at the same time. That white plastic piece costs around $10 at Lexus dealer. It's located at the end of the opening cable near the metal piece near the lock. If you open the door panel, you'll see 2 cables to open the door. Follow the cables to the end and you'll see it. It's hard to explain, but if you go to the Lexus dealer, they'll know. I believe the part number is 90467-07120. With the door swing open, you can take off the door panel easily to replace this piece.

It happened to me and I had to pry up the top door panel from the inside (right above the wooden piece), and pull the lock cable manually to open the door. It's not that hard, but it takes patience. If you try this, be careful not to break the door panel.
The following users liked this post:
Rello (01-03-21)
Old 01-30-06, 12:25 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Good to hear you got it working again. Ive had that happen to me a couple times and when it does I just move the lock with my hands or sometimes the little door snap that is located inside the door ends up breaking. Good to hear yours didnt break.
Old 01-30-06, 02:48 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

I had the same problem with the door handle on the outside not working. Broken small plastic piece that links the handle with the lock assembly. Worked for several weeks, but then the lock aas. went bad. Bought one from Coliseum Lexus and got a discount for being a ClubLexus member. Regular price around $300, got it for $250 also save some money and put it in yourself. Lexus wants around $300 to install this, took me about 2hrs only because I had to drill out a screw.
Old 01-30-06, 06:32 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayssc40093
I had the same problem with the door handle on the outside not working. Broken small plastic piece that links the handle with the lock assembly. Worked for several weeks, but then the lock aas. went bad. Bought one from Coliseum Lexus and got a discount for being a ClubLexus member. Regular price around $300, got it for $250 also save some money and put it in yourself. Lexus wants around $300 to install this, took me about 2hrs only because I had to drill out a screw.
That's right. It's the small platic piece that's broken. It actually happened to many Toyota cars as well. However, you might have to bend the rod that holds that plastic piece and the lock cable back to its original position. When the plastic piece is broken, that rod is bent as well. But to hear that you spent $250 was almost in my case.
Old 01-30-06, 08:37 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

How did you get the actuator out from behind the window track - it looks like it would be a pain to get it out?
Old 01-30-06, 09:38 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Bought one from Coliseum Lexus and got a discount for being a ClubLexus member.
Wow. I didnt know you can get dealer discounts for being a ClubLexus member?? Does this apply to all dealers or just that one in Oakland? I would sure love to save some money.
Old 01-31-06, 02:20 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nomis
How did you get the actuator out from behind the window track - it looks like it would be a pain to get it out?
It was, removing that bottom screw that holds the track is a pain. That's the one I had to drill out and replace with a sheet metal screw. Don't know about all Lexus dealers giving the Club Lexus discount, but C.Lexus did.
Old 02-03-06, 02:40 PM
DJTWIST
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, the rod for my my door lock actuator actually broke. Can anyone tell me where to get a used one. Any help would do. Thanks.
Old 02-03-06, 04:42 PM
HKSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by DJTWIST
Hey guys, the rod for my my door lock actuator actually broke. Can anyone tell me where to get a used one. Any help would do. Thanks.
I'd hit up aliga for a used one. I forgot what I paid for mine, but it was definitely cheap. Or hit up a local junkyard for it.

Had the same problem, bloody irritating.
Old 02-05-06, 03:23 PM
sc430uk
Driver

if you take the door trim apart there is a metal rod inside, probably come off its hook

Quick Reply: Door won't open - From Inside or Outside